mtbr member

Recommendations for a backpack

Eight years ago, I was doing a daily commute, 19 miles one way. Carried my bags on the rack. That was two jobs and 40 pounds ago. Decided I needed to start commuting again to drop this weight, but I no longer own the rig with the rack.

My current rig is a Giant OCR 1. No place to install a rack, plus the commute is a combination bike/bus commute. I don't want to deal with removing the bag from the rack to get on the bus.

The ride to the park and ride is 10 miles one way. I need to carry a full change of cloths, along with a laptop. I live in AZ and it get's hot here, so ventilation is needed between the back and the pack.

Any recommendations for a large capacity backpack, that can carry a fresh change of cloths, baby wipes, work shoes and a laptop, would be greatly appreciated.

Moderator Moderator
    I'd check if your laptop will fit in the Osprey Manta 36. I've had a smaller one for years and the airspeed mesh back keeps the pack off your back and lets air flow between your back and the pack. I constantly over-stuff it and have had no issues with zippers, they are bombproof. I did break a hipbelt clip, but may have closed it in the car door...they repaired it for free (I paid 1 way shipping) under the lifetime no questions asked warranty. The measurements of the Manta 36 and the airspeed back panel can be seen here...Manta Series - Osprey Packs, Inc :2014: Official Site

If there is any way you can leave shoes and/or laptop at work, that would be a plus.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've been using the Ergon BC-3. I carry clothes and a laptop in a sleeve. There's a place for a bladder but I don't usually use one. The Ergons have a ball joint and the hip belt move a lot of the load off your shoulders. They can be pricey, I bought mine off of Ebay. I think they've gone away from the flink in the newer packs, the BA series.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have an Osprey Momentum series. They were designed for bicycle commuting and have some nice features. I personally like Osprey and have been using their products for the last 15 years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The new Osprey Radial Series is designed for commuting in warmer climates. It has the same AirSpeed backpanel as the Manta pack mentioned by mtbxplorer but has more bike specific features such as a laptop compartment, built in raincover, and LidLock helmet carrier. Radial Series - Osprey Packs, Inc :2014: Official Site

Moderator Moderator
    ^^That looks nice, provided you don't need the hydration reservoir setup for the commute or double-duty on the trails.

Senorslacker, good luck on your commute and the desired weight loss. Bikecommuting sounds like a great solution, because it becomes a habit, and you've had it before!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    whatever costco sells

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I'm researching the Osprey products. Safe riding to everyone!