mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Rear Suspension lockout on Commute

I have been riding a FS Schwinn Mesa for the past year on trails in my area and my 7mile commute. It is time to get a new bike and after trying a full-suspension TREK on the trails a month ago I am very tempted to get one. I will be riding the trails once a week and around town the other 6days. My idea is simply to lockout the front and rear suspension when I ride in town. Do you guys see any problem with this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    nope, thats what it was designed for =]

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Shouldn't be a problem....

but why? With the advent or propedal shocks etc. just set the pedaling platform of the rear shock up firm and enjoy the suspension on the commute as well. I ride my FS on my commute occasionally and having the suspesion active sure smooths out the ride nicely. With the propedal on the rear shock engaged and a little more compression damping dialed into the fork there's very little suspension bob when pedaling yet the suspension is active enough to soak up the expansion joints in the road, minor chuck holes, drive way and path or sidewalk approns etc.

Another option would be to hang on to the Mesa and set it up as a dedicated commuter.

Anyway, no problem running the suspension locked out if you want. But you'll be missing the nice smooth ride that it can give on a commute. The key is in the set up.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

LCI #1853
    I'll lock out the rear suspension on my Fisher Caliber when I'm using the seatpost-mounted rear rack, but that's about it... It keeps the tire from rubbing on the bottome of the rack in the rough spots along the road.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Thanks

I just wanted to make sure i wouldn't be hurting anything by riding with it locked out so frequently. I don't know what the propedal is but if the bike i get comes with it i will certainly play with it.