mtbr member
    May 2008

Rear rack options for frames without mounting points.

I have two single speed track bikes that both my girlfriend and I commute on daily. We're getting tired of using back packs and would like to get a rear rack. Upon further inspection I've found neither of our frames will accept a traditional rear rack. Now I've done some searching and I've inspected the many seat post style options. These seem attractive but I'm concerned about load capacity. I feel it would be adequate for myself but not for my girlfriend as she is a student and carries some super heavy books to and from school. I believe this would easily over load the rack. Are there any other options? Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    A common solution for the absence of mounting points is to use a clamp (sometimes called a p, hose or cable clamp) and nuts/bolts which you can find in your hardware store. Obviously, a metal band does not offer the same strength as a frame eyelet or braze-on but should be sufficient for lighter loads. Some rack manufacturers recommend such hardware to compensate for a lack of upper mounting points which simply stabilizes the load.

I think a rack which attaches to the seatpost AND seatstays with clamps might distribute the load better and accommodate more weight.

Name:  RubberInsulatedCableClamps.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  14.1 KB
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

Addicted to Dirt
    You might find a way to fit a rack on your bike here Fit Solutions for Tubus Bicycle Bike Racks

I use the stay mounting clamps on my clockwork, they work great.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Re: Rear rack options for frames without mounting points.

These are awesome suggestions. Thank you so much for the help. I should be able to make something work with the information you've given me. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8er07999 View Post
    Thanks!
    YW
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thule Bike Racks | Bike Bag Shop

These look promising.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joeinchi View Post
    A common solution for the absence of mounting points is to use a clamp (sometimes called a p, hose or cable clamp) and nuts/bolts which you can find in your hardware store. Obviously, a metal band does not offer the same strength as a frame eyelet or braze-on but should be sufficient for lighter loads. Some rack manufacturers recommend such hardware to compensate for a lack of upper mounting points which simply stabilizes the load.

I think a rack which attaches to the seatpost AND seatstays with clamps might distribute the load better and accommodate more weight.

Name:  RubberInsulatedCableClamps.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  14.1 KB
    One of my racks came with these and they were too small to wrap around my beefy front forks, so I cut some aluminum sheet into strips long enough for it. I think the sheet of aluminum (a scrap about 1 foot square) cost me less than $10 at Tacoma Screw. Can't remember if I used the rubber that came with it, or if I cut up an old tube, but it's still holding strong despite daily abuse on Seattle's awful streets and often carrying an unbalanced load, and sometimes heavy loads.

Another option is Old Man Mountain racks. Totally bombproof. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Carradice makes racks for their bags (or their design), and are IMO truly awesome timeless classics.
    Carradice of Nelson - bike bags, saddle bags and waterproof panniers
    If you can find the Carradice Bagman 2 Expedition,
    Bagman Expedition (quick release) by Carradice
    then you can mount it on any unsprung saddle.
    Zimbale - Beyond your expectation !
    Zimbale makes a saddlebag almost identical to Carradice, close (but not quite) to the same quality which is still very good, and slightly cheaper.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Carradice makes racks for their bags (or their design), and are IMO truly awesome timeless classics.
    Carradice of Nelson - bike bags, saddle bags and waterproof panniers
    If you can find the Carradice Bagman 2 Expedition,
    Bagman Expedition (quick release) by Carradice
    then you can mount it on any unsprung saddle.
    Zimbale - Beyond your expectation !
    Zimbale makes a saddlebag almost identical to Carradice, close (but not quite) to the same quality which is still very good, and slightly cheaper.
    Funny you should mention it! I use a Bagman QR (not the 2) with the largest Zimbale bag. Love both! Couldn't imagine riding without them! Went this route because the bike I was using as a commuter didn't have the upper mounts for a rear rack. So glad I got forced into trying this way!

mtbr member
    other option

Name:  salsa-post-lock-rack-mount-stock-M.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  sunlite-seat-post-clamp-with-rack-eyelets-on-red-specialized-watermark-M.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  44.4 KB

mtbr member
    May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by jhmeathead View Post
    other option

Name:  salsa-post-lock-rack-mount-stock-M.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  sunlite-seat-post-clamp-with-rack-eyelets-on-red-specialized-watermark-M.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  44.4 KB
    Hmmm this looks awesome. I still haven't decided which way to go. Anyone used something like this?

mtbr member
    May 2008

I quick Google search for that Salsa seat post clamp and I also found this... Looks like a solid solution as well.

http://www.bikebagshop.com/tubus-sea...nt-p-1035.html

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Tubus pack n pedal rack. I hear you should tape the frame and wet the straps before you install them (as they expand slightly when wet) but they're surprisingly rock solid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have two single speed track bikes that both my girlfriend and I commute on daily. We're getting tired of using back packs and would like to get a rear rack. Upon further inspection I've found neither of our frames will accept a traditional rear rack. Now I've done some searching and I've inspected the many seat post style options. These seem attractive but I'm concerned about load capacity. I feel it would be adequate for myself but not for my girlfriend as she is a student and carries some super heavy books to and from school. I believe this would easily over load the rack. Are there any other options? Thanks!

Go to your LBS and they will order the seatpost bolt on type so it's not a quick release lever,which has the screw face on each side for the bolts of the rack to go on. I had it on my Giant Sedona that did not come with braze ons. You just have to keep the recommended weight

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hmmm this looks awesome. I still haven't decided which way to go. Anyone used something like this?

Yes! look at my first post .I did not have a picture and this is it! Except Salsa is even better stuff brand than I had.