Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

.....really? pulled over.

Edit: Moral of the story: Don't treat a red light as a stop sign in PA. I was wrong, and ignorant of the law. I know the law now and will not break it again. Read on if you please

My commute home from work is about two miles long, and all down hill. In the two miles, there are five traffic lights. The lights are incredibly worthless at night, and do nothing except stop the flow of traffic and waste time. The lights really should just be turned off from 9pm to 6am.
    On my way home tonight, I pedaled through one red light. I slowed to make sure no cars were coming, (there never are anyway), and went on through. I was under the assumption that cyclists were permitted to treat a red light as a stop sign. Apparently, I was mistaken.

Half a mile later, a police car turns on his lights and shoots in front of me, parking half way on the sidewalk. The officer gets out of his car and shouts "So what, you don't think you have to obey the rules of the road? Think you can just blow through red lights? Is it gona mess up you 'pace' to stop?" I explained to him that I had read it was permissible for a cyclist to use a traffic signal as a stop sign.
    "Ohhh that's what ya read did you? Well were'd you read that?"
    "I can't remember" I said
    "Oh so you can't remember. So which one is it? You can't remember or you read it?"
    "I read it somewhere."
    "Well were did you read it?"
    I told him again that I couldn't remember. The conversation continued like this for at least one more 'where?' 'cant remember.' cycle. He then proceeded to tell me that if I did it again I would be fined $110 and get points on my drivers licence.

That's $110 AND points on my drivers licence. For riding a bike. He then said "And if you want to doubt me, I'll give you the fine and ticket right now." I said I didn't doubt him.
    But here's the PA bike code.

Section 3502. Penalty for violation of subchapter.
    Any person violating any provision of this subchapter is guilty of a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of $10.

$10 is a little weee bit less severe.
    But I was also wrong. A bike is subject to the same rules as a car in PA. Which I think is ridiculous, but I guess I'll have to follow the law until its changed. I just do not think the police man had to be such a jerk about it.
    Last edited by the munts; 04-22-2009 at 09:04 PM.
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

~Disc~Golf~
    Wait, what??
    You blow through red lights and are surprised you got pulled??And angry?
    you also said, "I pedaled through one red light. I slowed to make sure no cars were coming" then went on to say "I had read it was permissible for a cyclist to use a traffic signal as a stop sign."
    How is that even treating the light like a STOP sign!!?

Bikers like you piss me off and give other cyclists a bad name.

And this, "I just do not think the po po man had to be such a jerk about it." from this? "He then proceeded to tell me that if I did it again I would be fined $110 and get points on my drivers licence."

Sounds like he was being cool to me
    Honestly... ahh I give up

No-Brakes Cougar
    It is legal in some states, though apparently PA isn't one of them. Not sure if the lights on your route are on a timer or a loop? If they're on a loop and your bike frame is steel, look for the seam in the pavement and try stopping over it. This may still not be enough though. I'll usually just pedal over to the crosswalk button and press it to get the light to change. Alternately, you could try mapping a route that avoids most or all intersections with streetlights?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Bike Geek
    Mar 2005
    Please consider that if we as cyclists would like to be treated with respect on the road that we must follow all rules of the road as if we are a vehicle. My daily commute takes into the center of city of 110,000. I demand to be treated like a car by acting like one, which most definately means stopping at all stop lights and stop signs. It does sound like the cop was a bit of a tool and for that I am sorry.

mtbr member
    Wait, what??
    You blow through red lights and are surprised you got pulled??And angry?
    you also said, "I pedaled through one red light. I slowed to make sure no cars were coming" then went on to say "I had read it was permissible for a cyclist to use a traffic signal as a stop sign."
    How is that even treating the light like a STOP sign!!?

Bikers like you piss me off and give other cyclists a bad name.

And this, "I just do not think the po po man had to be such a jerk about it." from this? "He then proceeded to tell me that if I did it again I would be fined $110 and get points on my drivers licence."

Sounds like he was being cool to me
    He wasn't being cool. At all. He was really not very nice about it. I was unaware of the law, and if you read my post, I said I'm going to follow the law from now on. But it was insane of him to threaten me with a $110 dollar fine and points on my license when the fine is actually $10. So yes, I was a little perturbed.
    And I did not blow through the light.
    But the officer essentially wanted me to stop and wait in line behind other cars at the bottom of a steep hill. That is a recipe for getting crushed under 4000 pounds of rolling death.
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by the munts
    He wasn't being cool. At all. He was really not very nice about it. I was unaware of the law, and if you read my post, I said I'm going to follow the law from now on. But it was insane of him to threaten me with a $110 dollar fine and points on my license when the fine is actually $10. So yes, I was a little perturbed.
    And I did not blow through the light.
    But the officer essentially wanted me to stop and wait in line behind other cars at the bottom of a steep hill. That is a recipe for getting crushed under 4000 pounds of rolling death.
    Well, since he let you off with a warning, I think that's 'cool'.

I think that its awesome that you learned something and are going to follow the rules of the road from now on

$110 and points on your record for running a red light is not out of the ordinary.

How did you not blow through the light?...by your own admission you said "I slowed to make sure no cars were coming, (there never are anyway), and went on through."

You don't have to stop behind a line of cars. You can go right up to the limit line on the right-hand side and wait there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You should read more about commuting. You're really not all that good at it. You need to ride defensively and as a vehicle. Wait at the lights. That's life. If it is a light that you know uses a magnetic sensor and your bike does not trip it, stop, check the intersection, then go. If you get pulled over for that, just explain that you crossed as safely as a vehicle good and be calm. If you come to a complete stop it's not a big deal. The law in WI is that you have to wait 45 seconds before you can run a red if you think you have not tripped the sensor. I never wait that long, but I do know what lights I can trip and which I cannot.

mtbr member
    I was calm. And I understand I was wrong. But I don't need to "read more about commuting." Saying that I'm not very good at it is a pretty large assumption. I've done a fair amount of it. But ok.
    I do however need to read more about my area's laws. And carry a printed copy of at least the part about fines, just in case, since my local police force seems a bit confused.
    The sad part is, if a state trooper would have pulled me over, he likely would have been polite and professional when he told me what I did wrong. The guy that did pull me over was just harassing me.

"I slowed to make sure no cars were coming, (there never are anyway), and went on through."
    I was crawling. Almost a trackstand. Nothing that could be considered blowing through by any standard.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I agree with the OP.
    The Cop should have given him a big bunch of roses and thanked the OP for giving him the chance to meet and discuss these issues.

OP, YOU did the wrong thing, acted silly and assumed.

The Cop did the right thing, he made the point in a way that sunk in and was VERY nice not to book you for being so silly. I would also not be so sure his opinion of what you would be booked with was incorrect.

As for the rubbish about waiting in that location, crushed bla bla bla. That's just idiotic justification for you being stupid.

Do the wrong thing and expect to pay for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the lecture.

This is obviously one of those subjects like politics and religion that could go on forever, but it pisses me off when using one's own common sense to stay out of harms way isn't enough and we need people like you and militant cops to tell us how to behave.

One of the reasons I ride a bike is to allow myself some breathing room from the law, and still have some fun to and from work. All the while looking after my own back.

mtbr member
    The Cop should have given him a big bunch of roses and thanked the OP for giving him the chance to meet and discuss these issues.
    Thats not what I meant. Being pulled over left a big enough impression by itself. I was not putting myself or anyone else in any danger. I was absolutly sure no car was coming either way when I crossed that street. I just think that a police officer should act like a professional, not like a drill sergeant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ash240
    I agree with the OP.

OP, YOU did the wrong thing, acted silly and assumed.

The Cop did the right thing, he made the point in a way that sunk in and was VERY nice not to book you for being so silly. I would also not be so sure his opinion of what you would be booked with was incorrect.

As for the rubbish about waiting in that location, crushed bla bla bla. That's just idiotic justification for you being stupid.

Do the wrong thing and expect to pay for it.
    Seconded. I was grateful for a stern warning when I was pulled over for rolling through a flashing red light early one morning. You can't blame the cop for doing his job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    He probably was a drill sergeant!

Hell, if I'm at a light in the middle of the night in a car and nobodys around I'll drive through it. Let common sense rule your life, not the law.

mtbr member
    Let common sense rule your life, not the law.
    I'm glad someone finally got what I was saying. The whole incident was really unneeded. . That said, the local force is not going to change, so I'll have to watch myself from now on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    You don't have to stop behind a line of cars. You can go right up to the limit line on the right-hand side and wait there.
    You don't have to, but this is a good way to possibly get right hooked, even IF there's a bike lane there that makes this legal. Personally, I'll sit behind the line of cars and be seen.

~Disc~Golf~
    "Personally, I'll sit behind the line of cars and be seen." - By who?
    OK...I ride up to the front and be seen - I make sure I'm slightly ahead of the car (in their view) to my left at a red light. When the light goes green, I'm outta there and then I don't have a line of cars that I have to discern what they're going to do (go straight/ turn right).
    YMMV

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I never understood why someone would get points taken from their driver's license for breaking the law on a bicycle when you don't need a driver's license to ride a bicycle. I understand the fine because there has to be some type of punishment for breaking the law, but if someone gets enough points against their license it will be suspended and they will be forced to ride a bike anyway (kind of ironic). What if someone doesn't have a license in the first place (maybe the reason that they are riding a bike)?
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    In the UK I have seen countless bike riders jump red lights on the way to work, and it's only a matter of time before they become road kill. Especially since the junction it happens at is right next to a busy lorry section.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking the cop was quoting the "fine" based on the court costs and administrative fees that are added to traffic cases. These alone add up to about $100 where I live.The state gets the fine, and the local court gets the rest, to pay for their costs, as well as some going back to the municipality. Most of these costs apply even if you pay the fine without appearing in court, since the court system is still processing a case. He was ballparking what it would cost you if he wrote the ticket.

Which way? Uphill.
    I always like how in threads like this you know there will always be a bunch of people that come along with their "I am correct all the time, you're an idiot" attitudes.

You broke the law, you know it, we know it, the cop knew it. That doesn't change the fact that the police officer did a maneuver that endangered you (pulling in front of you forcing you to stop) and then proceeded to go on an immediate tirade without any provocation on your part.

If you were in a car I guarantee the cop wouldn't have swerved in front of you and stopped and wouldn't have come out yelling about how you think you don't need to follow the rules. He obviously had a chip on his shoulder about something.

So, I agree with you, the police officer was not professional about it all.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    At the college i went to ( the famous picture of a corvette pulled over by a bicycle cop) if you went through a stop sign on campus, you got a $220 fine and points. it was annoying because the cops would hide, but mainly tuesdays or wensdays you knew not to roll by a few signs on campus. the annoying part was they would pull you over even if you were going the opposite way on a one way street with sholders (bike lanes) on both sides.
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Heh. Debating the law with a police officer.... that never works out. Trying to rationalize their behavior is useless.

As for the laws in general, I will go out of my way to abide by the traffic laws. Maybe it's just me, but it seems auto drivers become more agressive and less observent (and rational) every day. And bikes operating outside the law seems to be a hot button for them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Why would you get the points on your drivers license? You were not driving.
    Is it required to have a valid drivers license in PA to ride a bike on the road?
    What if you didn't show your drivers license but other id?

mtbr member
    the cop was cool for not giving you a ticket, but he wasn't cool with how he handled it. to each their own. some people are nice and constructive in the world and some aren't- same goes for cops. sounds like a bit of a power trip to me; however, i'm sure he does run into jerks all the time and can understand a consistent stance he takes with everyone.

i wonder if he would do the same thing if someone was walking and their wasn't a crosswalk with signals.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

Dirt Huffer

That asshat

Hell, if it's only $10 i'd continue blowing street lights if it's safe to cross. Who cares, really? It's the intent of the law not the letter you need to follow. Just look both ways and make sure they're no cops around. There are a lot of by the book geeks around here but im not one. The laws really need to be changed for non-motorized traffic. I think im smart enough to know when to its safe to cross and when it's not. I dont need a law or some stupid light to tell me when to go.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast