mtbr member

Really need a proper grocery getter

Ever since my electric clunker got set aside (battery charger crapped out), I've been using my Specialized FSR Enduro for running errands and going to the nearby 99-cent store for goodies. Thing is that I'm using a backpack and my shopping is limited to whatever will fit in it. I know I can get a seatpost rack, but I don't trust them, and besides, I don't plan to continue using the Specialized for a town runabout much longer once I find a "beater" bike and put on a rear rack and put my two Wald rear folding basket to use. Yeah, I really need a proper beater toiwn bike. What I dislike about using a nice bike is having to go through the locking ritual. I currently use three locks. Well, one is a Kryptonite cable that loops around the front wheel, then the frame and locked to a post using a U-lock. Then there is the seat lock that loops around the rear wheel. The bike kas quick release everything, so defintely not a proper errand bike. Once I get a beater, I can lock it and not have to worry about it when shopping.

wants a taco
    depends on how much you wanna spend and carry...personally i think this is the coolest cargo/utility/commuter ever...

sweetness

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So what's the question? Find a beater locally.

mtbr member
    Get the Big Dummy if you've got the cash - if not go with an xtracycle & a chepo bike - I love mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Kona UTE is another option.

mtbr member
    No question, just rambling. Have been looking at CL for a deal. Found some but I'm sorta picky. I need a bike with a 1 1/8 headset and not the 1" one. The ones my size mostly have the quill stem--ugh.

I'm not looking for any sort of fancy rack, just a bike that can accept a rear-mounted rack where I can attach the Wald collaspable baskets. Got them off CL with a Schwinn rear rack for $10! Sold the rack for $10 (because it had a weird mounting thing for the seat tube) and kept the baskets.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    bakfiets for sure (dutch box bike) Kinda klunky but if your getting groceries with out major hills its gotta be the best.

Linky:http://www.dutchbikeseattle.com/html.../bakfiets.html
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Hey,

Built up a 24v /26" banfang into the rear of my BOB trailer...running from a 18A (modded for 48v) controller, powered by 9Ahr 48v LiFe pack, on my Surly Karate Monkey 29er. Custom cruze control & dynamo driven LED lighting system

Bike fully built (even wheels) by me, running solid rear axle & bob nutz.

to the left of the gear numbers is the 'GO' button

& the magnetic brake reset

Very basic cruze control using 1/ 5v relay & a feed back loop (latch link), I added a dropper diode just in case my controller did not like the full 5v, so now it sees 4.3v on throttle signal input. The controller is modded with a 12v zener reverse bias to the LM317 (PCB reg) so it still sees 36v + a few caps were changed. Extra heatsink added to controller box just in case.

Custom lighting system by me, driven from dynamo hub, with circuit to give 12.4w rather than 3w, in to cree R2 bin LEDs we get 650lm output (HID lights ~450lm)

Also to let people see how easy the martin basic circuit really is, I have re-drawn it, with a pic of what the parts look like the way I build it (dead bug style)...each step is the same circuit, just re-drawn so its easier on the brain...

as its a 26" hub in a 16" wheel, it goes up any hill I throw @ it... top speed up a hill 27 km/hr & 29km/hr on the flat...72v of LiFe is on order as is a V2 controller.

the great thing is I can just unhook the trailer when I need a normal commuter...

enjoy

Ktronik

mtbr member
    Nice electric rig, ktronik! How much space you got in the trunk with that battery in there? Do you ever worry about the bike getting stolen or parts removed when locked?

How much mileage you getting per charge?

My last build was gonna be an electric commuter with rear-hub drive, but then I had a change of plan and the build turned into a weight weenie project. Believe it or not, it was cheaper then building a heavy electric bike. There's a guy in Orange County, California, who sells quality hub motors. His company is called Amped Bikes.

mtbr member
    I live in a very hilly area, not much flat ground around & only use on the hills, as once up to speed it really keeps going...so with that usage I get 30-60 km, depending on how lazy I am...

Its only a 10A/hr batt so I just take it with me for the shop...everything else is locked down...bike, trailer & box...

really need a bigger box, as I have more room on the trailer to fit it...@ the moment I get around $50-60 worth of shopping in it with battery...

really has changed my life as I have no use of a car & ride EVERY day to work & back, some days I am a bit tired / running late, so take the E-bob & bike...

Some days I need to take big stuff to or from work so it helps their as well...

Pulls up any hill...which really confuses the roadies as i pass them...

I do have a race 29er, & cyclocross bike as well...I ride them mostly depending on what day it is...

the E-bob cuts my 'to work' time in half...as I have so many hills...

its now a big part of my life...V2 is on the way for my Wife, more storage ect & a solar panel so we can go E-touring...

K

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    wow ktronik all that electronics figuring must have taking a while for me, i know cause im in an electronics class in highschool and i failing, ill stick to pedaling
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

weirdo
    Wow is right! The electronics are 100% beyond me and to be honest they don`t interrest me at all. But what about the mechanics of it? The wheel on your BOB is certainly not stock- that`s where your drive is applied, isn`t it? How did you manage that? Your own design?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Wow is right! The electronics are 100% beyond me and to be honest they don`t interrest me at all. But what about the mechanics of it? The wheel on your BOB is certainly not stock- that`s where your drive is applied, isn`t it? How did you manage that? Your own design?

I know where you are coming from...it helps me to draw it on paper & look @ if for a bit...the curze control started out with 2 /12v relays...(throttle sig 5v)... In my box of stuff I found a 5v relay, which allowed me to use one...I was quite chuffed it worked...

I feel that simple is always better...less stuff to break down...

on the light drawing, getting it from schematic, to 'dead' bug, screws with your head...again I just keep drawing it & changing it bit by bit...

I say try hard in skool, as you don't want to be making coffee all your life...

K

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    So how does it handle?

Does the power at the back throw it off a bit? Do you power off when cornering? Its wikid cos its removable tho ...

Also how much drag do you get from the front wheel? Why not just power the lights off the battery?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maelgwn
    So how does it handle?

Does the power at the back throw it off a bit? Do you power off when cornering? Its wikid cos its removable tho ...

Also how much drag do you get from the front wheel? Why not just power the lights off the battery?

It rides like a normal bike...so full stick in the corners...can't feel the drag @ all, leave it running day & night...

Dyno, so I can remove the trailer & still have light... no matter what...puts out 650lm...brighter than a reg HID light!!!

Rodar:

its just a normal front 'hub motor' from china where they are everywhere...but this has a planetary gear inside, so has super 'touque'...