Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Real chamois?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Real chamois?

Is real leather chamois a bad or good thing? I'm thinking of getting some all wool Kucharick 6 panel bib shorts and am wondering whether I should go with thicker fabric, which can be done, or just leather chamois. I don't want synthetics.

I Ride for Donuts
    I have washed a car with it. Never worn it.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Source:

Real chamois leather padded shorts found.

Overview:

Cycling Shorts: Myths and Facts | Bicycling Magazine

Some have sworn by their old 'real chamois' shorts. Pain to wash and the chamois butter is needed to keep the chamois supple.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    When I started with cycling all the good shorts were "real" leather.

It's a bad idea and modern shorts are a big improvement. For me the most comfortable shorts by far are bib style. If you watch the Tour De France about 99.9% of the guys are on bib shorts with synthetic chamois. These are guys who are spending loads of time on the bike and need shorts that perform well.

Especially for commuting synthetic bibs are the way to go. They dry faster and don't require as much care. They are also more comfortable especially on rainy days.

Speaking of rain are you guys packing an extra pair of shorts for the ride home?
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by febikes View Post
    When I started with cycling all the good shorts were "real" leather.

It's a bad idea and modern shorts are a big improvement. For me the most comfortable shorts by far are bib style. If you watch the Tour De France about 99.9% of the guys are on bib shorts with synthetic chamois. These are guys who are spending loads of time on the bike and need shorts that perform well.

Especially for commuting synthetic bibs are the way to go. They dry faster and don't require as much care. They are also more comfortable especially on rainy days.

Speaking of rain are you guys packing an extra pair of shorts for the ride home?

They also melt into your skin if you get hit by lightning. Which is a real problem in flat rural area in which you may be tens of miles from shelter.

I Ride for Donuts
    Is there something that wouldn't melt into your skin if you were hit by lightning? Just curious, I've been stocking up on lightning-proof clothing...

I wear non-bib cycling shorts, and I wear rain pants when it rains...so no 2nd pair of shorts for the ride home for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Non-synthetics won't melt. Some may catch fire but wool is fire resistant. Considering people do survive lightening strikes it's worth considering.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    Non-synthetics won't melt. Some may catch fire but wool is fire resistant. Considering people do survive lightening strikes it's worth considering.
    OK, hang on and let's look at the numbers. According to NOAA the 30 year average for lightning deaths is 54 per year. According to a lightning safety advocacy site struckbylightning.org there were 212 people injured by lightning in 2012 and 28 fatalities. According to the census bureau the US population was 313 million people in 2012.

212 people injured and 28 died out of a population of 313 million. Lightning safety is a serious topic but your chances of being struck are very, very small. Small enough that it would not be a buying criteria for me when picking out cycling shorts

Personally I cycled 7500+ miles last year using synthetic chamois and never needed a lick of butt butter.

weirdo
    The butter isn`t a big deal.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    I still have a "real" pair, but they're not favorites.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I hate to derail this, but I'm loath to make a new thread every time I have a question. But I'm looking at getting a pair of shorts. Are there any brands I should stay away from? Also about how much should I spend for a good pair of shorts? I'm on a budget, but if helps my chaffing...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Spend the most you can, generally. Price, is very much related to the quality of short you get.

Sugoi makes good stuff for not-too-expensive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks. I will be looking into them. Also which ones I can get on sale.

Is a Leather chamois better then the new pads? (a few reviews on amazon said the leather feels like there is a lot more there then the pad.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    OK, hang on and let's look at the numbers. According to NOAA the 30 year average for lightning deaths is 54 per year. According to a lightning safety advocacy site struckbylightning.org there were 212 people injured by lightning in 2012 and 28 fatalities. According to the census bureau the US population was 313 million people in 2012.

212 people injured and 28 died out of a population of 313 million. Lightning safety is a serious topic but your chances of being struck are very, very small. Small enough that it would not be a buying criteria for me when picking out cycling shorts

Personally I cycled 7500+ miles last year using synthetic chamois and never needed a lick of butt butter.

Those statistics mean bunk for me. That is the likely hood of the group of millions of people, many who go inside during lightning strikes. The likely hood for an individual, me, in the middle of a heavy lightning storm at high altitude with cloud to ground lightning being common in the area I'm in, while at the same time being the tallest thing around for many many miles and with NO shelter for many miles around, to be struck by lightning is far FAR higher. This situation is not unlikely. And in the case of plastic melting in to my junk, it's better safe than sorry, especially if I'm ready to add more shorts to my wardrobe anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Kucharik is supposed to be good for a reasonable price. But there are already other threads on this topic.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    Those statistics mean bunk for me. That is the likely hood of the group of millions of people, many who go inside during lightning strikes. The likely hood for an individual, me, in the middle of a heavy lightning storm at high altitude with cloud to ground lightning being common in the area I'm in, while at the same time being the tallest thing around for many many miles and with NO shelter for many miles around, to be struck by lightning is far FAR higher. This situation is not unlikely. And in the case of plastic melting in to my junk, it's better safe than sorry, especially if I'm ready to add more shorts to my wardrobe anyway.
    Peace. Enjoy the leather chamois.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    To get this back on topic, would you go with the double wool bottom or the leather chamois?

weirdo
    Sorry, aB- I`ll chime back out soon, but it is pretty much on subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorsaw View Post
    Also about how much should I spend for a good pair of shorts? I'm on a budget, but if helps my chaffing...
    Not to disuade you from trying something designed specifically for cycling (as many people who swear by them, there must be a good reason), but there are a few things you can try first, or in some cases, in addition to "bike" shorts.

For the simple solutions, Gold Bond Powder or some kind of cream is helpful. In both cases, I apply directly to my skin, not to my clothes. Moving up a level, when you do buy clothes, keep bike comfort in mind. Look for thin material, especially when it comes to seams, and try for a middle ground between uncomfortably tight and baggy enough to catch on the nose of your saddle. I`ve had the best luck with cut off and hemmed polyester or wool blend slacks. As a bonus, you`ll still have all your pockets. Going "commando" might be a good idea too (mandatory for bike specific shorts, they say). I can`t get used to that, but since I noticed that the edging around the leg holes in my underware was where I got the most problems, I looked around and found some inexpensive briefs made with thin polyester and no folded over edge hem. For long days in the saddle, they`re a lot more comfortable than my regular cotton underware. Some of those might help you as much as they helped me, but any personal comofort issue always boils down to experimenting.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok thanks. I still think I'm going to try to get some bike shorts for not to much. I will also look into getting a cream. I have and use Gold Bond Powder all the time. I'll use more where I'm chaffing thought. Thanks again.

Also sorry to derail your thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Get back on topic!

Moderator Moderator
    ^^I think it probably just means that most people don't use leather or wool chamois and therefore do not have any good advice for you. You could look at Ibex (great wool stuff), but it looks like they use some poly/spandex in the shorts for stretch/strength. Men's Duo Short | Ibex Outdoor Clothing Merino Wool Bike Shorts

mtbr member
    Such a cute animal to sacrifice:

Real chamois?-rebeco-3a.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: Real chamois?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Such a cute animal to sacrifice:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rebeco-3a.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	826263
    Why is it wearing bibs?

I Ride for Donuts
    Those are probably the most comfortable bibs on the planet

weirdo
    You guys wear bibs "commando" too? I saw one for WAY cheap at a thrift shop yesterday with just a little bit of strained carrot stain in the front. Might go back and buy it, but it doesn`t look to have very good coverage, so I`m a little worried about getting fined if I wear it off the bike.

EDIT: It looks like vinyl. Does that wick?
    Recalculating....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast