Resident Newbie
    Jun 2007

Raleigh XXIX 29er for commuting.

I found one of these on craigs list. It's an 07' for $300. Would this be a good set up for a commuter with slicks?
    08' Haro X6LT

mtbr member
    I use mine for my 17 mile round trip...works great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That seems to be a pretty good price. I ride my Redline MC29er all over town for fun and commuting. SS works well for urban riding. I don't know that I would want to commute for anymore then 10mi one way with a SS though. My commute is only 2.85 mi.

EXORCIZE
    You can make it work, but I think there are better choices. I have a SS commuter and I think it gets kind of old. I'm starting to think SS is best left for off roading.

Also, that Raleigh came w/a non-suspension corrected fork, so the front end will likely be too low and may make for too much weight on your hands after a few miles.
    ride natty ride

mtbr member
    Ryder, what fork would you recommend for this frame?

Birthday Collector
    analoguekid - the Raleigh is a nice riding bike - if the commute is flatter terrain you definitely want to put on a smaller rear cog - 17 or 18 would be my choice for most stuff unless you are in the hills. I'd agree with Ryder that a SS for a commuter could get old after a while, esp if the distance is more than about 8 - 10 miles. The 33 x 20 it comes with is great for most mountain riding - I usually only "commute" on mine about 4 - 5 miles. As far as comfort - the bike is fine. Anyone who suggests the front end is too low hasn't ridden one. My bars sit a bit high "by the book" and I am thinking of lowering them a spacer. I used the bike to do the Telluride-to-Moab trip with some extra credit distance that added up to about 240 miles off-road over 8 days and it was fine, even on a 42-mile day loaded with gear. Rode the optional single track sections on it and it is the bike I ride 90% of the time for my off-road rides around the Bay/NorCal - longer rides are over 40 miles with 4,000+ ft of climbing. You can buy the $20 rear insert and hang a derailleur on it. A new wheel with cassette, a RD and shift lever and you can have a 1 x 9 pretty inexpensively. $300 is a great price, unless it's trashed! I'd jump on it if it is your size.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguekid
    Ryder, what fork would you recommend for this frame?
    Depends on the rider and the purpose of the bike.

As far as the height of the front end, I know it wouldn't work for me, but yeah, it may be fine for those with shorter and/or prefering a less upright position than me - I'm lanky. My SS roadie commuter has 30mm of spacers, some stem rise, and a 167mm head tube and its still too low in front - hence the stem w/35 degrees of rise that's being delivered tonight. So yeah, your mileage may vary. A test ride would be best.
    ride natty ride