Thread: Rain pants?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Rain pants?

I'm looking for rain pants to wear over shorts or regular pants.

I looked at a few pair, but some were too heavy to wear over another set of pants, and others were too grippy on the inside and did not allow pants to move underneath.

I guess what I am looking for are some very light weight gore-tex or equivalent pants that I can wear over shorts or regular pants. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    I have the performance brand rain pants and i use them over my normal clothes. I will give you a word of advice and tell you to order MUCH larger than normal. I typically wear a large and I ordered the largest they have- XXL, and they are adequate for putting on over my bluejeans, but they are still fairly snug.

They are not grippy on the inside, and seem to keep the rain out well. They are also pretty light. The real beauty is that they are dirt cheap, so if you tank while wearing them its no big loss.

I would rate them a 3 or 4 out of 5, but I expected them not to be "top of the line" type gear. As for value, I would give them a 5.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've been using the Pearl Izumi Amfib tights and they are sweet! No noise, comfortable, warm (but not too hot below about 50F), and they keep you nice and dry. I use a pair of Endura neoprene booties to keep my shoes dry and pull the Amfibs over the tops of those. I've ridden in some pretty heavy rain (28 mile round trip each day) and I haven't gotten wet yet.

oops...just noticed you said you wanted something to wear over pants. My bad. Oh well.

I've heard the Showers Pass and Craft pants are both very good. Not first hand experience though.

Which way? Uphill.
    Marmot makes a good rain pant, just make sure you have something to hold the cuff to your ankle, it sucks having your nice rain pants get ruined by a chainring.

Some pants come with velcro straps on the ankle that will suffice, but some don't.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

I Ride for Donuts
    I have the bellweather aqua-no rain pants...got them at pricepoint. This is my 4th winter with them, and they're just starting to show wear. I wear them over either tights or shorts/leg warmers depending on the temperature. They are sized normally, but are a tiny bit short. I leave the cuff zippers unzipped maybe an inch at the bottom, so they don't ride up and grab on with that no-slip cuff and turn into a pair of knickers. They work great though, in terms of water and wind protection. Super light and pack up small.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I use the Novara rain pants. The day after I got them it rained like crazy on my ride in and I was perfectly dry underneath.

these: http://www.rei.com/product/724361
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

I Ride for Donuts
    The ideal, super expensive solution is a pair of softshell pants by Mountain Hardwear, made out of their 'conduit' softshell material. I'm using a a softshell jacket made out of the stuff, and it's flat amazing. 200 dollar jacket though...

These: http://www.rei.com/product/753942
    or these: http://www.rei.com/product/772253

would be sweet.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    I have the bellweather aqua-no rain pants...got them at pricepoint. This is my 4th winter with them, and they're just starting to show wear. I wear them over either tights or shorts/leg warmers depending on the temperature. They are sized normally, but are a tiny bit short. I leave the cuff zippers unzipped maybe an inch at the bottom, so they don't ride up and grab on with that no-slip cuff and turn into a pair of knickers. They work great though, in terms of water and wind protection. Super light and pack up small.
    Another vote for these pants. I normally commute in smartwool long johns with Fox Mountain Bike shorts over the top. When it's raining I pull my bellweather pants on over the top of it all and it's quite comfortable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    From Winners for $100 , I bought 686 snowboading pants with removeable liner and big leg vents. I wear spandex type bike pants underneath. They are really comfy and are 10 000 mm waterproof. I keep the bottoms tucked in with velcro straps. The price was right, plus I use them for snowboarding too.

mtbr member
    Recently bought Costco's Kirkland brand $40 for rain pants and jacket. Looks good, but it hasn't rained enough for me to test it yet.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I'm looking for rain pants to wear over shorts or regular pants.

I looked at a few pair, but some were too heavy to wear over another set of pants, and others were too grippy on the inside and did not allow pants to move underneath.

I guess what I am looking for are some very light weight gore-tex or equivalent pants that I can wear over shorts or regular pants. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the input, everyone. I ended up getting a good deal on the Bellwether Aqua-No pants. I put them on and they were exactly what I was looking for. Still need to try them out in the rain.

I Ride for Donuts
    Yay!! Do I win something?

...you won't be dissapointed in the rain. They've been keeping me dry for 4 winters. The wind protection is nice too. It was 25 degrees F this morning, and those pants with leg-warmers were plenty.