Thread: rain jacket

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

rain jacket

I was at bass pro and noticed they had some rain jackets on sale and was wondering what everyone wears in the rain. I usually just ride and worry about it after i get home but riding to work in the rain stinks. any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    North Face Apex Series - Great Investment!

Moderator Moderator
    Showers Pass seems to get the most nods from the cyclists in rain-drenched areas. I have one, and it is a great jacket, but too warm for over 50F or so. They make a bunch of different models, so a lighter/cheaper version might be better for warmer rain. Before I got the Showers Pass, I used a lightweight hiking type rain jacket, and that worked well enough to make it worthwhile in serious downpours.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thanks guys. ill look into your suggestions. this was the stuff that was on sale at bass pro RedHeadŽ Stretch Rainwear Jackets for Men | Bass Pro Shops

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I've got two Showers Pass jackets: an Elite 2.0 that I wear when the temps are 45 and under and a Double Century that I wear when the temps get above 45.

I logged 93 rain rides last year, 16 so far in 2013, so a good rain jacket is important to me. Showers Pass jackets are not cheap, but if you ride in the rain a lot they are worth the cost.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I bought a diadora bike specific jacket and it was great, i rode it several times in what seemed like riding through a swimming pool. And it kept me reasonably dry. it probably blocked the rain but the sweat builds up from the inside so its hard to tell. It costed like 200. I also bought an adidas jacvket made for running with some badass fabric. it works just as good. it also costed like 200. when i ride, at least 70% of those days it rains, has been raining or will rain soon. I wear wool underneath the jackets.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member

rain jacket

I go through so many jackets between biking, hiking, and skiing, that they don't stay water resistant for too awful long. I usually just try to dress to stay warm when wet, ie: wool. If it is sprinkling obviously a nice light rain jacket is great. But if it pours, I just go and get wet. I'm not exactly normal though.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    You can restore the water repellant properties of your jacket by using a product like Nikwax. Nikwax Tx-Direct Spray-On | Showers Pass

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    I go through so many jackets between biking, hiking, and skiing, that they don't stay water resistant for too awful long. I usually just try to dress to stay warm when wet, ie: wool. If it is sprinkling obviously a nice light rain jacket is great. But if it pours, I just go and get wet. I'm not exactly normal though.
    this has been pretty much my model for some time now. I am apprehensive about dropping big bucks on a rain jacket but id like something for the nights when its cold and it rains.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I also recommend wool for warmth and odor control. Then you just need a water repellent shell. The cycling specific gear has the long tail to help keep your backside dryer without the extra bulk in the front. This gear will dry out quickly at work and should be odor free. As Woodway said, just reapply water repellent periodically when needed.

~ B A D A S S ~
    And the point is?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by sahadevagarbatti View Post
    Rain jacket is also call to be an rain coat. A rain coat is a waterproof or water-resistant coat worn to protect the body from rain. the term rain jacket is sometimes used to refer to raincoats that are waist length. A rain jacket may be combined with a pair rain pants to make a rain suit.
    I never understood that before. Epic 1st post.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sahadevagarbatti View Post
    Rain jacket is also call to be an rain coat. A rain coat is a waterproof or water-resistant coat worn to protect the body from rain. the term rain jacket is sometimes used to refer to raincoats that are waist length. A rain jacket may be combined with a pair rain pants to make a rain suit.
    I remember my first post.....

Welcome to to boards...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I use some relatively cheap EMS jacket, I think it cost like $50. It's basically a well-formed plastic bag with pockets, a hood, and gigantic zip-open armpit vents. I get sweaty pretty easily but I also frequently run with my arms out the armpit vents (jacket arms flailing behind me) to stay a little cooler. I think it works better for running and hiking than riding, but it does okay.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Arcteryx Beta SL. Its goretex paclite fabrics . Cut through wind /100% waterproof / Breathable.

Ridiculously expensive, got mine in a 50% sale.

mtbr member
    Have an old Novara jacket from REI that's begining to give up. Not a huge fan due to lack of pit vents, but it was pretty cheap and has lasted me >5 years including 4 years in Portland. Considering the weather around here, a good rain jacket is not really needed so it will keep going until it rips, disintegrates or no longer repels water (at which point I'll use the Nik wash). If I was l;iving back in Portland though, I'd have a Showers Pass, they really are good.

squish, squish in da fish
    endura luminite - pit zips, map pocket on back, napoleon pocket for media player, blinking led on tail, & reflective all over. good jacket for $140