mtbr member
    Mar 2010

racks/panniers for Gary Fisher Mako

Suggestions please on some racks/panniers for my Gary Fisher Mako? I won't carry a lot of stuff, but will need enough room for a pair of pants, dress shirts, socks, t shirt, bike accesories - lock, spare tube, etc. This will be for a short commute to/from work.
    If it hard to install such rakcs? Neebie here.

JP

weirdo
    What`s the bike like? A quick Google search got me pics of non disc hard tails- is that what yours is, too? If you`ve got discs on your specific model, it gets a little tougher. I can`t see from the pics whether any of them have dedicated rack and fender mounts on the frame. Hopefully, you have either one or two holes above each rear axle threaded for a 5mm screw. Some bikes don`t have `em, but that makes it easy. If you`re REALLY in luck, there will be a pair of threaded barrels on your upper seat stays. With all that stuff, it`s a piece of cake. If any is missing, not quite as easy, but still doable.

I like my panniers, but can`t give a comparrison since I`ve never used any others. Do you need waterproof? What kind of budget?

mtbr member
    Trek/Bontrager makes a rack &system called interchange. Everything comes off with one button, I have had the trunk for years now, and got the panniers last week. They are easy and holds my uniform, computer and radios. They even have a disc specific rack. Here's a pic
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The GF Mako is definitely a non disc MTB. I think I found panniers I wants, just need the
    right rakc system. I just didn't know if all rack system were much of the same or if they are specific to the types of bikes.

Thanks

weirdo
    No, they`re pretty much universal UNLESS you have some kind of special issue- disc brakes or rear suspension are the biggies, lack of lower mounts on your dropouts are a minor one. Do you have the lower mounts I mentioned? If not, you should look for some that mount via QR skewer. If you have those mounts (5mm threaded holes), just about any rack will work for you. As for the top, if you have two little barrels with 5mm tapped holes near the top of your seat stays, you can hook the top mount directly to those bosses and get the cleanest and simplest instalation. Without the upper bosses, pick up a few "P-clips" from the hardware store and mount to those- a little bit ugly, but works just fine.

banned
    Many bikes have a 5 mm threaded eyelet on the brake bridge which requires a center brake bridge mounting hardware which only Delta Cycles offers; Topeak and Blackburn don't, requring that you either have seat stay threaded mounts, or that you mount using optional seat stay plastic clips, which in many cases don't work due to various seat stay sizes.

weirdo
    Do you have the lower mounts? Those are more important because they hold the weight of the rack and cargo. The upper mounts just keep it from pivoting- don`t hold any load. You don`t need "optional seatstay plastic" if you buy the good stuff from your hardware store for much less. Not to turn you off from the Delta rack, if that`s what you want- just want to make clear that you aren`t tied to it simply because they have a one legged mount where the others are built for two legs.