mtbr member

question on shaving legs. lol

hey every one, i'm a new commuter and as iv'e met more and more of us commuters i noticed one thing that a lot of commuter or road cyclists, male, shave their legs. i have mountain biked for the last ten years on and off and thats just not something mountain bikers do. i guess the question is why do road worriers shave their legs? kinda a dumb question but hey thought id ask.
    life happens

mtbr member
    i have been told it's more for the sake of scabbing because of road rash than anything else. imagine falling off your bike, scraping your bare legs all over the road, then trying to keep a road rash clean with all that hair. ouch.

mtbr member
    ouch is right. lol. now comes the question if i should shave mine and i do what will i look like and what will my wife say lol.
    life happens

mtbr member
    I heard it was to help an injury heal. Or to make them more aero.

I think it is just to show off scars from derring-do to better advantage. I try to keep the rubber side down, and think such scars are evidence of being a stroke or two short of a complete shave.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Don't do it. Don't even think of it. Your wife will (and should) kick your ass for doing it. When you become a pro road racer, by all means, go for it. In the mean time, don't fall. If you do...man up.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    I think it's more of a racer thing than a commuter thing. Leg shaving is time consuming and not worth the effort IMO. If you've got the Robin Williams hair going on, maybe consider a little manscaping in order to cut down on the bugs and small rodent getting caught up in your leg-mane.

Fat-tired Roadie
    My experience of road rash is that whether or not hair was present before, it's not present after. I think it's vanity. Or fashion, when it's on someone with no definition to show off.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Shaving is for pussies Real men Wax
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG410
    Don't do it. Don't even think of it. Your wife will (and should) kick your ass for doing it. When you become a pro road racer, by all means, go for it. In the mean time, don't fall. If you do...man up.
    this

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    It's for aerodynamics, and is only applicable when the difference between you and the guy you just beat is measurable in hundredths of a second. If you're THAT serious about your commuter riding... yer just a sick sonofa*****! :P

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The problem is where do you stop shaving?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It's tradition, vanity, and conformity within bike racing. That's it. People will tell you it's for aerodynamics, healing, etc, etc but those are just excuses from the insecure.

And yes, I do shave my legs.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    what he said ^^^

i've never heard anyone who actually rides bikes claim it's for an aero benefit. but it's mostly a trickle down thing from the pros. pro roadies get massages after hard rides, and a serious/deep massage is much easier to do without a bunch of leg hair in the way. that and the bandaging after a crash are the reasons i've been told.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    i may not be a pro racer but im a half@$$ weight lifter and a runner so i got some toned legs. ive met guys in the gym that shave their legs just cause they say chicks love it. of there are any females here and want to comment on men shaving legs than by all come and lets us know sexy or no.
    life happens

mtbr member
    I'd rather deal with the road rash having hair (and yes I've done it) every couple years than look like a gay euro model wannabe full time.
    :wq