mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Question About Cascadia 29er Front Fender Mount

Hey there, this is my first time here. I have a Salsa Fargo and just purchased the Planet Bike Cascadia 29er fenders. The front fender is pretty far away from the tire. Has anyone ever made a homemade extension so the fender is closer to the tire? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ryan View Post
    Hey there, this is my first time here. I have a Salsa Fargo and just purchased the Planet Bike Cascadia 29er fenders. The front fender is pretty far away from the tire. Has anyone ever made a homemade extension so the fender is closer to the tire? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
    pics would be useful. there's a test forum down at the bottom of the main forum list where you can boost your post count enough to post one (I think you need 10 posts).

mtbr member
    CB used a threadless star in the bottom of the steering tube on his to suspend a mount. I think in this thread. See if you can find the post.

I used the fork center bolt hole of my bike (different fork, but pictures of the fargo shows it has one) to fasten a plastic plumbing end cap thatn just fits in the steering tube. Its flat end faces down and has a mounting bolt in its center and holes on the skirt to run the bolt through. It doubles to seal off stuff getting up into the steering tube, too. With a long mounting bolt and three nuts and washers, you have a dropped fender mount. Mine is short and flush.

I wonder if you posted here ten times, it that would work to get a picture if the above won't work or does not make sense to you. It is your thread as OP after all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks so much!

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    This is a "suspension corrected" rigid fork, so there's a big gap between the top of the tire and the crown... I struggled with how to get the fender mounted down low by the tire with no mounting points... should work on any fork though...just used a standard star nut inserted up from the bottom.
    Does that work if I quote myself? From the "post your commuter photos" thread...page 53... click the little link by my name in the quote and it should take you to the pics...?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Yup, a random stalk of metal used to space the fender down much closer to the tire. Works and looks so much better. Plumbers tape will also work but won't last very long.