mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Project Commuter - aka The Faceplant Machine - lots of pics!

I've been thinking about commuting by bike for a while now, but I didn't have the cash to buy a decent bike to commute on. And I wasn't about to commute on my FS SS mountain bike. Then I heard my grandpa was getting ready to throw away an old mountain bike, so I called him up and he said "if you'll come get it, it's yours." So I got it. It's an early 90's Trek 830 Antelope. Butted chromoly frame, chromo fork, Suntour XCE components, already had a rack and bag. It did need a little work however, mainly, it needed to be put on a diet.

I swapped out the heavy, uncomfortable stock seat (complete with ill fitting gel cover) with a WTB Silverado off my mountain bike, which also gave me a good reason to get a Rocket V for the mtb. I took the steel riser bars off and put on an Easton EA30 flat bar I had laying around. Those two swaps dropped about 3lbs probably haha. I also put some Mosh BMX platform pedals on, and some Michelin Country Rock tires, and new Slime Lite tubes.

After doing all the part swapping I put the bike on a trainer and got the shifters tuned up, set the seat height, adjusted brake lever angle, etc. Double checked everything was tight (including the quick releases on the wheels and seatpost), threw on a helmet and headed out the door for a quick test ride, just to make sure everything was working properly.

Rode around for about 20 minutes, bike rode great. It felt super solid, and the drivetrain was working wonderfully. On my way home, in a parking lot, I pulled up on the bars to do a small wheelie over a speed bump, AND THE FRONT WHEEL CAME OFF!! The tire stuck in the brakes, and between the down tube and left crank arm. I had clipless pedals on the bike at the time. It all happened extremely fast...

I went over the bars, landed on my hands and face. Rattled, I stood up and looked down and blood starting dripping everywhere off my chin. I panicked for a second. "DO I GO HOME OR CALL 911 DO I GO HOME OR CALL 911" I calmed down a little and realized I wasn't hurt too badly, so I proped the bike up against a fence and walked 3/4 of a mile home. I had scraped my chin and cheek bone area a bit, but all the blood was coming from my lip. Two of my upper teeth had bit pretty dang deep into it...I knew I needed stitches. Cleaned up a bit, went to the ER and got one stitch in my lip. Only other injury was quarter sized road rash on the palm of each hand.

I had the accident a week and a half ago, and I'm 98% healed up now. I still don't know why the wheel came off. I know the QR was tight. I checked it before leaving the apartment, and the wheel didn't feel loose at all during the 20 minutes before the crash. Anyhow...

I commuted on the bike yesterday for the first time, and had a blast. I've got a 7 mile commute, with about a half mile on dirt. My goal from now on is to commute via bike at least 3 days a week.

On to pics of the bike!

Here's how it looked when I picked it up. I ditched the mirror...it clamped onto over the grips, super uncomfortable.

Heavy steel bars. Check out how the front brake cable is routed:

The bike has Sakae Oval-Tech elliptical chainwheels. I hated the way it rode while clipped in, I couldn't spin in a circle. But with platforms they work great! It feels like I'm clipped in.

Suntour XCE components:

This is how it looks now:

Anyone know what this thing is on the inside of the seat stay? There's not one on the other side....

Sorry I don't have any post crash pics.....but to be honest, that's something I'd like to forget!

Another Retro Grouch
    Nice bike! Great recycle project

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1
    ...Anyone know what this thing is on the inside of the seat stay? There's not one on the other side....
    It's to hang the chain on when you remove the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Grandpa kept it clean, you gotta give him that. Put some slicks on it and you are good to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm doing the same thing with an old steel hardtail. I painted frame and fork, put on leftover bars, grips, shifters,brakes, seat, seat post, new cables, and waiting for a new chain and cassette. Why wear out expensive components commuting? Fun project!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rail the trail
    IWhy wear out expensive components commuting? Fun project!
    Exactly! I spent a total of about $50 on this bike, and that was for tires and tubes. Not bad. Post some pics of yours once you get it built.

I took mine on a 30 mile road ride last night, and it rode great. But it started making some popping noises in the bottom bracket the last few miles...I think one of the crank arms might be loose. Easy fix though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So, got a call from grandpa last night. He found the owners manual to the bike, along with the reciept from when he bought it - July 1989! So, it just turned 19 years old last month. The bike was $349.95, then he bought a gel seat cover, the rack, and "the best mountain bike tires available" which kicked to price up to $500.63 including tax.

That was lot of money for a bike in 1989!!

responsible zombie owner
    great job, the bike looks much better and i'm sure you'll enjoy your commuting more after your initial spill (i also endo'd on my first ride to work, with an audience of coworkers).

i love to see old bikes get a new lease of life.

Known Mountainbiker
    That little seat stay nipple is a place to hang the chain when you remove the back wheel. Clever, huh?

Most of that 500 bucks probably went towards those 80 spokes.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late