View Poll Results: Just wondering if you are driving less commuting more (with price of gas fluctuations

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nah, I keep driving no matter what

4 12.90%
  • Yep, I'm living on the cheap and loving it!

8 25.81%
  • Yep, I love my air clean and fresh

5 16.13%
  • Yep, I'm on the saddle of independency baby!

10 32.26%
  • Nah, I sit at home. It's cheap. Beer is better than work.

1 3.23%
  • Yep, I gotta get rid of my gutt. Biking helps.

11 35.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Price of crud - effecting your performance

Just wondering if people have changed their habits since the recent increase in oil/gas prices?

I suspect, they'll keep going up after the summer time blues and the fall/winter kicks in (should be the other way around - up in the summer down in the winter, some places need heat to survive!)

I typically bike all year around. In -40oC weather when its damn cold as hell. Have been for about 18 years now. I have frost bite on every part of my body! No need for a tattoo for my frost bite looks like a tattoo!

So, have you changed or remained the same?

mtbr member
    Carpool more and bike same amount. Goal is to do one or the other daily, but I'm not there yet.
    "I don't suffer from insanity!I rather enjoy it."

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I haven't changed at all. The price of gas will not affect how much I drive at all, regardless of how expensive it becomes. I don't use cars.

mtbr member
    Living on the cheap because I have to. The mortgage needs to be paid and I need food to keep me moving and working.

I try to commute by bike most days of the week, but I still drive for groceries and to see the girlfriend, who lives 20 miles north of me. I am doing what I can to conserve on fuel usage but I still use my car.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Last year I got my license and somehow got away from biking at the same time. This year, I got away from the car and bike like I have 25 hours in a day. Feel much better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    What kind of "crud" are we talking about?

Moooo!!!
    Aug 2008
    I bought my bike mainly to commute or so I told the wifey! Secretly I love trails and riding hard offroad. I commute about 5 miles each way to and from work.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Been 'car-free' for about 4 years now, only off the bike when the surface conditions are too nasty to ride (ice, deep snow, etc.). The last car I owned got gassed up around $1.30-1.40/gal.

Don't miss the car. Been hearing the "You ride your bike? That's pretty smart, with gas the way it is" since gas hit $1.83. Don't see too many of these complimenting folks moving off their oversized irregulars, though.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    I pretty much gave up biking once I started high school; in the days of being image conscious and completely shallow, I felt biking looked incredibly dorky. Because of this unfortunate mindset once I got my driver's license, the bike stayed in the garage for a good 7-8 years.

In the last couple months or so I've realized how trivial traveling by car is because a lot of the trips I took are generally about 5 km or less. It seemed rather wasteful and the gas price increase was the wakeup call to find better transportation that was economical and fun. I realized that biking was the solution and a lot more fun than driving (normal civilized adhering to the limits driving :P) And so as a result, I'd definitely say biking is my main form of commuting as a side effect of the price of crud, but the trails keep me permanently hooked.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I'm a slave to my car, I have tried to work out a way to ride to work but with a 50 mile commute and a 10-11 hour workday I don't think my middle aged body will hold up. I going to look into a road/touring/cross style bike as my next ride and see if I can at least do a couple days a week. I've already converted a Trek mountain bike with a rack and bags for shopping and around town duties on weekends but the thought of doing 50 miles on it doesn't seem practical.