Moderator Moderator

Pothole takes down 20 year bikecommuter

Be careful out there!
    Cyclist thrown from bike after hitting giant pothole on way to work | Mail Online

The frost heaves and potholes here have been providing more than ample opportunity to practice my MTB skilz. I am lucky to travel in daylight now though, unlike this guy.

mtbr member
    About what I looked like after my front flat and face plant in 2012. Except I was also unconscious. My helmet stopped the scalp injury, though.

Indy is bad for potholes this year. Weather was so cold for so long that maintenance crews couldn't get out to patch potholes very much until just recently and now they have a huge backlog of them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just assumed the alarmingly warm winters the last few years have caused the plow drivers to basically forget how to not destroy roads. Most of the main roads around here are a minefield at this point.

Also, major sensationalist reporting.

yeah, I've seen a lot of destroyed curbs now that everything has melted off. the plow drivers have definitely gotten rusty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: Pothole takes down 20 year bikecommuter

Thank your lucky stars you're not in New York. There's pot holes in my town my bike fits into.

Yes, both wheels, at the same time. I've been in smaller bath tubs...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Be careful out there!
    Cyclist thrown from bike after hitting giant pothole on way to work | Mail Online

The frost heaves and potholes here have been providing more than ample opportunity to practice my MTB skilz. I am lucky to travel in daylight now though, unlike this guy.
    This happened to a rider a few weeks ago in this town. Hill is about a mile long and full of potholes. Dude hit one and went flying, no helmet. Paramedics took him. I'd say its real easy to hit 50 on this hill. Didn't see it, a friend was following him in his truck.

mtbr member
    Pot holes are absolutely awful this year. There's a few large ones I have to take the lane to avoid.

mtbr member
    In Pittsburgh we've been told to get used to them, there isn't any money to fix them all. Forgot the figures but something on the line of 500 miles of road and only enough money to fix 90 miles. No road bike this year.

Its time for a full suspension for road use.

Did I catch a niner?
    They're pretty bad up here in the North. With such a cold winter the roads are cracked all over. I think my fat front has helped soften the blow quite a few times, and the tire has been wider than a few potholes which I think has also saved me.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

sheep in FOX clothing
    Hit one dead-one yesterday, it was under the edge of an underpass just as I went into the shade from full sun.

Pinch-flatted my front road tire, which was at 100PSI. First time I've managed that. The rim rang from the hit but I can't see any dent. I came pretty close to face-planting my handlebars, which would almost certainly have caused a crash in traffic, but I stayed up. I'm also glad I didn't shear off my fork steerer.

As I was repairing the flat on the sidewalk, the passing traffic was gently showering the side of the road with a mixture of gravel and plastic hubcab fragments from the other vehicles plowing through the pothole in question

Moderator Moderator
    Once the potholes extend across the entire lane, shouldn't the road feel smooth again???