Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So, let's be clear, the driver of the car doing 50 MPH one car length behind a cyclist bears no responsibility whatsoever?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    So, let's be clear, the driver of the car doing 50 MPH one car length behind a cyclist bears no responsibility whatsoever?

No responsibility.

mtbr member
    Sounds like following too close to me. People fall off bikes. Duh! The law suit should be against council and the driver.

AZ
    banned
    Why the driver? The driver can't help it if a cyclist is thrown into the vehicles path. If the motorist was obeying the traffic laws how are they responsible?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    we don't know the speed limit on that road. that may well be the speed limit. it sounds to me like this might have also been a multi-lane road and the driver may have been in the act of passing in an adjacent lane. they driver very well may have no fault and is simply guilty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

the person who failed to relay the officer's warning about the hole DOES bear some responsibility. to me, this sounds like it would be in the realm of a civil case in this country. No idea how it could be handled over the pond.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    we don't know the speed limit on that road. that may well be the speed limit. it sounds to me like this might have also been a multi-lane road and the driver may have been in the act of passing in an adjacent lane. they driver very well may have no fault and is simply guilty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

the person who failed to relay the officer's warning about the hole DOES bear some responsibility. to me, this sounds like it would be in the realm of a civil case in this country. No idea how it could be handled over the pond.
    Well, the car is described as behind him, at 50 mph, and a car length away. Maybe bad writing, but accepting it as written I read two possibilities: either the rider was traveling 50 mph (whoa) and the driver was following far too close especially since anybody on 2 wheels may well fall over at any time, or the rider was not traveling 50 mph and the driver was either executing a poorly timed close pass or about to ram the cyclist from behind anyways. Either way, it reads as unsafe driving to me.

When I drive I try to maintain enough distance from anybody on a bike that they could fall flat over and still not get run over, specifically because I'm afraid of a situation like this.

mtbr member
    Could be passing left. Did not read like it to me. But we all know about accuracy in print.

So be careful out there: potholes can kill.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Could be passing left. Did not read like it to me. But we all know about accuracy in print.
    This is the kicker. With the media, you ALWAYS have to read between the lines.

Moderator Moderator
    If you go over the bars you can easily end up in the path of a car about to pass but with what would normally be considered safe clearance. A friend who crashed last year (paceline bump) said he would have been dead if a car was coming, but instead he broke his collarbone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I was just thinking about this type of situation. I was in the bike lane and hit a patch of ice/snow right as a car was passing me, of course within a foot or two despite the road being empty. It amazes me how drivers give inanimate objects or the curb, more clearance than a person on a bike.

mtbr member
    So be careful out there: potholes can kill.
    They could in my town. A 4" pothole is considered smooth pavement around here. The streets in my town look like the USAF did practice strafing runs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    They could in my town. A 4" pothole is considered smooth pavement around here. The streets in my town look like the USAF did practice strafing runs.
    I hear you. I did in my nice classic 27" french rims here with the potholes. Changes to 700c Deep Vees with 36 spokes so the wheels can take some rough pavement. Me OTB: not so good.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like following too close to me. People fall off bikes. Duh! The law suit should be against council and the driver.
    "traveling at about 50mph and only a carís length away from the group" is pretty vague, and could describe nearly every time a car passes me on a road with a 50 mph speed limit. Did I miss something? Is there a 16' passing rule in that town?

Neither the writer of the article or the wife (both of whom know far more than we do about the accident than we do) are mentioning the driver as being at fault.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Dirt, Sweat and Gears

Re: Pothole falls through the cracks...death resulting

The article says he was thrown into the path of the car behind them. It also mentioned "3 lane carriage way". Given the information provided I would lean towards the car being in a different lane about to pass the cyclists. If this is indeed the case: no responsibility for the driver if he was driving within the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Sounds like Tucson!
    Noob on a 2014 Trek X-Caliber 7
    Dirt, Sweat and Gears - my new outdoors blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    ridiculous to say 'car was following too close'

drivers always overtake cyclists, they do not follow. responsibility is the cyclist to stay in lane, and if the road surface is damaged causing accident, the town/city is responsible