Page 1 of 96 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Post your commuter photos!

It is officially started... the "post your commuter photos!" thread...

so lets see 'em
    Last edited by Urnicus; 04-05-2008 at 11:16 PM. Reason: want to make this a sticky... "post your commuter" thread

mtbr member
    Im down, just got a new bike, need to take some pics tomorrow.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I was actually wondering the same thing this morning...

I guess we have a thread now

I've got a older gary fisher hoo koo e koo w/ only a few things done to it...i might rip off that rear rack and the bar ends...maybe the tailpack too

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006

My Commuter

Made in Canada
    Nice commuters guys... I'll get a picture of mine up after I finish "decorating" it so it's less likely to be stolen on campus next year... it's a 2002 Marin Bear Valley, about $800 original price. Had some upgrades like an LX hub rear, Hayes MX-1 disc brake front with mavic 231 disc rims... ODI grips etc. Nothing too exciting. But the Deore components and name brand stuff all over it is making me apprehensive. So far I've painted over all the stuff with Shimano name on it in black and lots of other stuff, soon it will truly be getting a makeover (bad paint job ) lol. The bike itself really had no value before I started doing all this because I rode it hard with no mercy the past few years, but I've heard some horror stories about bikes on big campuses so I'm going all out...

For now here's a picture as it was right after going through a drop off into a foot of water at Algonquin Park about 2-3 years ago (the fender is now gone and the heavy duty, needless, CNC stem lol).

And what it would've looked like new...
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tpm7
    For now here's a picture as it was right after going through a drop off into a foot of water at Algonquin Park about 2-3 years ago (the fender is now gone and the heavy duty, needless, CNC stem lol).
    was that minnesing trail? that trail is pretty mucky

anyways, nice bikes people have. here is mine; ugly? yes. but comfortable, and low maintenance. it has slicker tires on it now; the pic was from winter. i need to make it more reflective for next year; maybe some of those cool spoke lights.

once i get brakes on it, i'll be using this on the nice days to extend my ride on the way back home

Made in Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by xcolin
    was that minnesing trail? that trail is pretty mucky
    Part of it, I think on the 26km loop there's the small foot drop off or so and there's always mud in low area at the bottom. It was after a heavy rain so the trail wasn't dry. Most of the time it's really nice there with little mud... but if it rains the rock gardens turn into ponds and mud just takes over. Either way that was a fun day when that happened lol. Nice commuters BTW I especially like your Cove!!

Oh btw here's a pic of that small drop (looks smaller than a foot because the rest is filled with water, I think the ground became solid at my front hub from the looks of it... I love that trail...)
    http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/phot...39208_8575.jpg

Anyone have suggestions on how to make my bike look like crap? I'm up for any suggestions because right now it's a blank canvas, it still looks too good, I don't even want thieves to even think about coming near it!!
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish Dave

How's that trailer working out for you? I've condered a trailer, but haven't tried one yet. Considering saddle bags too since my backpack is getting a little heavy

mtbr member

my new ride

Was gonna just thro some slicks on on old hard tail, but wanted the Alfine hub and the rack brazeons are nice
    Attached Images Attached Images
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR

All That is Man
    Keeping it simple. It's being replaced by a SS road bike.

John

mtbr member
    Dig the Trek, My girl friend is looking at the model below that (without the cool geared hub) but we cant seem to find a medium to try (she is in between small and medium) I feel like going to the slightly larger size would be good for a street bike but not 100% sure.

regards
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by wayneosdias
    Was gonna just thro some slicks on on old hard tail, but wanted the Alfine hub and the rack brazeons are nice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee
    Dig the Trek, My girl friend is looking at the model below that (without the cool geared hub) but we cant seem to find a medium to try (she is in between small and medium) I feel like going to the slightly larger size would be good for a street bike but not 100% sure.

regards
    Ray
    Funny, the place I went only had mediums. If your not interested in the hub model, the 7.5fx is the supposedly the same frame and comes in many more flavors.

I was gonna go w/the fx because the hubbed soho was special order only and I didnt get a chance to ride it, but when I found the price was less than the msrp I went w/the soho.

PS the internal hub is sweet, couple of years those things will be everywhere I bet.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by klohiq
    How's that trailer working out for you? I've condered a trailer, but haven't tried one yet. Considering saddle bags too since my backpack is getting a little heavy
    I hardly notice it when I'm moving but at lights or manuvering in the parking garage can be a bit much. I choose the trailer b/c it allows me to take an ordinary gym bag to work. I can also fold my dress clothes flat (less wrinkles) and the final benifit I can make the whole thing weather proof just puting my gym bag in a garbage bag.

mtbr member

Marin 29er

I think she is set on a Soho 1 if it fits, her exact words "fast but comfortable and doesn't look like my moms"

My commuter and cruiser

I upgraded my mountain bike to a FS and put 1.75 sized street tires on my hard-tail F7 for a commuter but it was geared to low for pavement and ended up spinning myself silly.

I bought a Marin Muirwoods 29er after selling the F7 it worked out less that converting the mountain bike and a better riding position for the street. I have over 300 miles on it so far and its really working out great.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by wayneosdias
    Funny, the place I went only had mediums. If your not interested in the hub model, the 7.5fx is the supposedly the same frame and comes in many more flavors.

I was gonna go w/the fx because the hubbed soho was special order only and I didnt get a chance to ride it, but when I found the price was less than the msrp I went w/the soho.

PS the internal hub is sweet, couple of years those things will be everywhere I bet.

wayne

mtbr member
    My commuter and cruiser
    Ray
    love the flat black, enjoy

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR

mtbr member

I bought a Marin Muirwoods 29er
    I like it!! I never looked at Marins... but I really like it and reasonable price!! I only wish the SS had discs!

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Here is what I have been riding lately...

It's a 1972 Phillip's Twenty Folder with some modifications: New 406 alloy BMX wheels, alloy post, new fenders, dual drive conversion, and high performance slicks (not shown).

And the baskets and mirror fold too.

I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I'll Play....

Here's what I ride to work:

Here's what I just picked up to double my fun riding to work. A Mongoose Sabrosa single speed.

fux
    Scooterist

My working girl

I can realy post this on "show us your" AM, Xc-race, 29`er , 1x8 realy versatile working girl.

Ive just put my other commuter on a pension because the rear wheel, bearings and fork were all dead and I couldnt bare using more money on a cheap bike.

My commute consists of a 17km very hilly, twisty asphalt road at 04.30 to work. As you can see the sun has just started to greet me and I welcome her with open arms after 4 months of riding in the dark. My route is a coastal one and the wind, hail and snow have been a killer this year. I`v e also dropped 18kg body weight which helps my motivation, heaps.

The way home (weather permitting) however, consists of 6km of asphalt and 20km og pure mtbr bliss!

I have a pair of rigid niner forks I will be using in the winter and mudguards. I hope the Alfine setup will take the pounding. I ride around 700km a month. Proberbly more sommer time.

The reson why I do this is because my training/fun only takes up half an hour of family time and I can pick up the kids from school (keeping my wife happy enough for me to spend too much money on my bikes)

Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abmtnbkr
    Here's what I just picked up to double my fun riding to work. A Mongoose Sabrosa single speed.

Hows the sabrossa? I was gonna get that, but couldnt find one in my area and wound up w/the trek. Is it the Alfine model?

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hello Wayne,
    The Sabrosa has been all fun. It's not the Alfine model though. Just a 42x16 set up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abmtnbkr
    Hello Wayne,
    The Sabrosa has been all fun. It's not the Alfine model though. Just a 42x16 set up.
    well at least you know can throw onw on in the future if you want.

I was looking really hard at those sabrossa's online, but couldnt find one at a LBS, what kind/size tire/rim you running? Those things look perfect, fast, but comfy. Thats the biggest beef I have w/my rig, dont think the rear w/take much more than whats already there 700x35.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fux
    Ive just put my other commuter on a pension because the rear wheel, bearings and fork were all dead and I couldnt bare using more money on a cheap bike.
    Hey, whatever it takes to rationalize it to you wife, dont need to sell us on dropping alot on a sweet ride like yours.

peace
    wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The tires are what caught my eye. The tires are Continentals City Contacts that are 28x1.75 but they are large enough to look like 29ers. Odd that Mongoose would spec that size and even more weird is that my local PBS didn't stock any 28" inner tubes. They pointed to another LBS that MIGHT carry that tube size. Anyways, the tires roll great and they are comfy. But they are slow off the line which is no biggie because it doesn't take me much to get them up to speed. I did a couple of errands around town today and had some fun hopping up and down some curbs with this bike. Seems real sturdy right now but time will tell. I was looking at the picture of your new rig (nice looking ride) and I bet your frame would handle the Conti's but I'm not sure if you would need new rims.
    Last edited by abmtnbkr; 04-07-2008 at 06:22 PM.

weirdo
    I didn`t think anybody was still selling bikes in the first world that used 28" tires. They do look cool though.

Waynosdias- Your chain! I need one! What is it?

Page 1 of 96 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast