Page 77 of 96 FirstFirst ... 27 67 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 87 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 2400
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermullet View Post
    Here is my "Old Lady". Was my first mountain bike: 1999 Speshy Hard Rock Comp. Rode trails with her for a couple of years and then she laid dormant in the shed for years. 2 years ago she came to life and got me back into the sport and pretty much saved my life. After some trail abuse I got a soft tail and this became my commuter. Treated her to new hoops, tires, crank and a cushy seat for the commute. A blast to ride to and from work.

So some upgrades I've made to this is I've gone clipless and I put on some City Jet tires and saw an instant improvement. I'd like to get bar ends for a more comfortable ride. My commute is only 9 miles each way, but I'd like to make it a little more comfortable. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your commuter photos!-old-lady.jpg  

weirdo
    I bet your old buddy is delighted to be back in service!
    Tires are probably the biggest change you can make for efficiency, bar ends should be more comfortable. Is there a particular discomfort you`re trying to fix? And just so you know, "only 9 miles each way" is probably over the median commmute length for us as a group. It`s almost triple mine!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I bet your old buddy is delighted to be back in service!
    Tires are probably the biggest change you can make for efficiency, bar ends should be more comfortable. Is there a particular discomfort you`re trying to fix? And just so you know, "only 9 miles each way" is probably over the median commmute length for us as a group. It`s almost triple mine!
    Well the current bar is fairly narrow and I think having that option to go wider when I feel like it may be a little more comfortable. Sometimes my hands get a little numb and there really isn't any option to position them elsewhere so I usually go one handed and shake one at a time.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Bar ends help. A road bike helps. Getting the riding position right helps - maybe a shorter reach or less drop. (Or vice versa, now and then.)
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Update: GT Transeo build
    Original pic

Current pic with Nashbar Cyclocross fork

Close up of Nashbar fork

I have a couple hundred miles of trouble free service from this bike. Only upgrades will be wider bars and extensions.

I Ride for Donuts
    Oh man... that fork reminds me... might be time to dust off the nashbike frame/fork. It's been hanging patiently in the rafters for over a year now.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member

converted chinese carbon

I have been commuting in/out of NYC now for almost a year and have recently turned my rigid geared MTB into my regular commute. In order to save some wear and tear on the road bike I set this up with full fenders, big apples, rack with trunk bag and my favorite delta air zound horn. Unfortunately I cant ride to work from home because i live 56 miles from the city so I park at county parks on the NJ side and cross over the GWB. I have 2 options as to where to park with one by the bridge and the other 5 miles from the the bridge. The latter starts off with a nice mile and a quarter climb. My job has limited my MTBing so this was an easy choice plus I still have my SS 29er for dirt days. Next will be converting and old Jamis steel frame for SS/fixed commuting...

mtbr member
    Very nice! Those BAs look terrific - that's the creme color? When mine wear out I've got to get something like that for my b&w commuter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Very nice! Those BAs look terrific - that's the creme color? When mine wear out I've got to get something like that for my b&w commuter.
    Thanks, yes cream when I saw them I had to have them

mtbr member

Peugeot Canyon Express

Best $40 bucks I've spent in a LONG time. Bottom bracket is rotten... and paint is crap... love it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your commuter photos!-cam00037.jpg  

weirdo
    I don`t think I`ve ever seen a Peugeot mtb before. Looks like it`s a lugged frame, too. Far out! Did it come with French or Japanese drivetrain before you SS`d it? Any idea what year?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    My Trek 7.3 fx. Been rididng it daily for the last 2 years. Added Planet Bike Cascadia fenders, axiom racks and panniers, and blackburn light set. I also use a 750 lumien cygolite on my helmet. I am still running the original tires, but recently replaced the rear rim with an inexpensive Alex g6000. damn car ran me into a curb bending the stock rim. I am looking at replacing the stock racelight 700X32 tires with a 700x35 cross tire for the winter. I would like to change the handlebars to either a mustache bar or Jeff Jones loop bars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your commuter photos!-430998_270940462981466_100001965432917_618167_775600584_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    How many miles on those tires in 2 years? I'm at 1,500 in 4.5 months of riding - I have no idea how long road tires typically last.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    I have almost 3500 on them. Most has been pavement, with a few minor treks on crushed gravel and dirt singletrack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I don`t think I`ve ever seen a Peugeot mtb before. Looks like it`s a lugged frame, too. Far out! Did it come with French or Japanese drivetrain before you SS`d it? Any idea what year?
    1988. Its a nice double butted, lugged tange frame. (albeit rusty) The drivetrain is Mountain Exage, which I've put aside for some spare cranks. I do want to get it geared up soon, just wanted it functional right away!

MTB, Road, Commuting

Latest Edition to the Fleet

GT Sensor 9er Expert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your commuter photos!-2012-12-12-13.37.38.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Being an Army officer, my compatriots in uniform give me no end of greif about the color of my bike... Part of what I like about it!
    [IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy33 View Post
    Being an Army officer, my compatriots in uniform give me no end of greif about the color of my bike... Part of what I like about it!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Didn't the dress uniform used to be "pinks and greens"?

weirdo
    I don`t think you`ll ever misplace that bike!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

^ Reflecto-Bike IV with a full Monday load, about 50 pounds GVW. This is an Access frame I bought on MTBR Classifieds after cracking my old Gary Fisher. It's silver, so silver reflective tape blends right in... in daylight.

^ Reflexite V82 on main triangle

Winter gearing is a 36-48 crankset with an 11-34 in back. I'm using a Nokian Mount & Ground W160 in the rear and a Nokian Extreme 294 in front. V-brakes work pretty well except after extended non-use in ice-up conditions, so I'm sticking with Vs.

Baseline headlight is a B&M Cyo N dynamo light powered by a Shimano DH-3N80 dynohub. I have a B&M Luxos on order. "High-beam" headlight is my DiNotte 1200+. Taillights are currently a Hotshot, a Solas, and a pair of Bontrager Beacon bar-tip lights. Side lights are amber Sunlite HL-515s and an amber BikeBrightz.

mtbr member

Salsa El Mariachi

I am very happy with how my new commuter/grocery getter/utility bike is coming along. I have yet to put the front low rider racks on for bigger loads.

Same pics and more words on my blog. Lao Tzu Cycles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your commuter photos!-img_20121231_132345.jpg  

Post your commuter photos!-img_20121231_132308.jpg  

Post your commuter photos!-img_20121231_132321.jpg  

Post your commuter photos!-img_20121231_132249.jpg  

laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Just got this running. Commute a little over 7 miles each way on it. It's very comfortable and fast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your commuter photos!-cimg2430.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Just built single speed commuter

[IMG][/IMG]

Demountable pedals to deter thieves

Did I catch a niner?
     photo 2012-12-29_14-38-26_63_zpsebbb6999.jpg
    Winter commuter
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredbe View Post
    I am very happy with how my new commuter/grocery getter/utility bike is coming along. I have yet to put the front low rider racks on for bigger loads.

Same pics and more words on my blog. Lao Tzu Cycles
    I like it! What rack are you using in the back?

Page 77 of 96 FirstFirst ... 27 67 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 87 ... LastLast