Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Moderator Moderator

Post Bike Commuter News

Schuylkill River Trail attacks down
    Published: Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Schuylkill River Trail in Conshohocken. Photo by Andy Stettler
    By Keith Phucas
    Times Herald Staff
    PLYMOUTH — Incidents of intimidation and violence on the Schuylkill River Trail in Norristown dropped since the summer due to increased police patrols, according Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman.

Earlier this year, reports of harassment of cyclists on the trail were on the rise in the county. And after several adult cyclists reported being harassed on the Norristown portion of the trail, county officials and police met with a cycling group in June.

One woman reported being punched, a man had rocks thrown at him and others cyclists had their paths blocked by groups of teenagers. After the meeting, Norristown police and the county Sheriff’s deputies immediately stepped up the police presence along the path.
    “Once those patrols began, we noticed an immediate and significant reduction in acts of violence. From all the reports I received, it seems that the remainder of the summer and fall were relatively uneventful and our citizens were able to enjoy the trail and parks as they should,” Ferman wrote in a December e-mail message.

The DA said other “law enforcement actions” are planned to ensure that these trails remain safe and accessible for the public; however, she did not elaborate. Previously, Ferman promised to mount “undercover operations” on the trail.

The issue came to a head on July 22, when a man riding a bike reportedly fired a gun in the direction of two youths who had assaulted him.

That Wednesday evening, Plymouth police received reports of gunfire on the bike path, and they later took a 27-year-old Norristown man, Joseph James DePaul Jr., into custody for questioning.

DePaul told investigators he tried to get onto the bike trail in Conshohocken around 8:30 p.m., but two juveniles on bikes reportedly blocked his path. Though DePaul was able to get around them, both the juveniles allegedly followed him, according to the DA’s Office.

After the teens passed the cyclist, the juveniles collided with each other on their bikes, and as DePaul rode by them, they “exchanged words” with him.

Soon after, the 17-year-old got back on his BMX bike and chased DePaul, and after catching up to him, kicked him, which caused him to almost lose control of his bike and hit a fence, according to authorities.

Moments later, the man admitted drawing his Keltec .380 caliber handgun and firing six shots at the boy who had kicked him. The juvenile was about 200 to 250 feet away from DePaul at the time. At the time of the incident, the man had a legal permit to carry the weapon.

Two days after the shooting incident, county Sheriff John P. Durante, whose office issues gun permits, revoked DePaul’s firearm license for endangering public safety.

Though the armed man was initially facing attempted murder and manslaughter charges, the DA withdrew those and instead charged him with recklessly endangering another person, arguing that DePaul’s actions were reasonable.

“These kids were terrorizing a person on the bike trail as he was going to work,” Ferman said. However, the man’s “conduct was so reckless, that we think it was appropriate to charge him with reckless endangering another.”

The case is pending.

When Plymouth Township police went to the home of the teenager’s father to arrest the juvenile last summer, they discovered a “bicycle chop shop” in the basement that included nearly 20 bicycles and bike parts that are reportedly suspected of being stolen.

The 17-year-old boy from Norristown was adjudicated in juvenile court after admitting he assaulted the bicyclist on the trail.

from http://www.montgomerynews.com/articl...4700770383.txt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Bike Commuter News-doc4b3a006d0ae247007703831.jpg  

Bedwards Of The West
    Wow. Sounds like cleaning up after your pet is the least of your worries if you're braving that trail.

I freaking hate punk kids. If I had to carry a weapon to feel safe on my commute, I would be so pissed. In a sick way I'm proud of the gunslinging commuter.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Wow. Sounds like cleaning up after your pet is the least of your worries if you're braving that trail.

I freaking hate punk kids. If I had to carry a weapon to feel safe on my commute, I would be so pissed. In a sick way I'm proud of the gunslinging commuter.
    Me too, though after the fireman incident, we all know how firing "warning shots" turns out. Still, you have a right to defend yourself. If I were in a situation like this, it would be tempting to carry a baseball bat, though the beating served would only earn you a charge of assaulting a minor. I think I'd probably carry pepper spray and just spray the sh!t out of them. Hopefully they learn their lesson after "repeated applications."
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

I'm SUCH a square....
    Bear spray, stun gun, t-ball bat, whatever you need -- it's nuts to HAVE to be in that situation. Indirectly, in abstract, we are all to blame for that, though -- we let standards slip to the point where anarchy rules areas less 'observed'.

We have allowed thugs -- of all ages and races -- to grow and develop into societal predators. Had Mike Tyson not met Cus D'Amato, he would have gone to prison on multiple occasions, as he was a street thug who beat up little old ladies for their SSI checks (IIRC). We have allowed the collective 'wrist slap', and now we pay for that lapse with having to face arming ourselves to safely travel in our own hometowns.

I don't have too many definitive answers, but the problem is waved in my face daily, living in the 'hood. Younger folks who may well mean no evil can compliment me on my bike, and i ignore them, muttering to myself as I travel on about how they need to STFU and keep their eyeballs off my bike, I'll kill the first m-f who tries me.

If I could figure out a 'stealth' way to carry a shirasaya sword on my bike, I'd feel a lot safer!

Moderator Moderator

Huh? Judge Rules Right Hook OK

Portland cyclist - and its reputation as bike-friendly city - takes hit
    Josh ShulmanAttorney
    Posted by Josh ShulmanJanuary 11, 2010 3:53 PM

In December, a Portland judge ruled in favor of a motorist who turned right in an intersection and subsequently hit a cyclist who was in, and therefore protected by, a bike lane — or so the cyclist, and everyone else involved, thought.

In the report we first read about on BikePortland.org:

When Portlander Rob Daray witnessed a right-hook collision on his commute home last summer he thought it was obvious who was at fault. So did the police officer who cited the operator of the motor vehicle for “failure to yield to a bicycle.” Even the woman driving the car admitted she made an abrupt right turn without checking her blind spots.

But when the case came up in traffic court, the judge came to a different conclusion and now Mr. Daray and others familiar with this are worried that people who ride bicycles are vulnerable — not just on the street, but in the legal system as well.

On June 10th, Mr. Daray was riding his bicycle eastbound on SE Hawthorne Blvd just before 5:00 pm when he looked up and saw a gray Toyota Prius turn right onto SE 10th. The Prius, driven by Ellen Metz, collided with a woman on a bicycle who was traveling in the same direction. The woman on the bike was Carmen Piekarski a cartographer who works for the City of Portland’s Bureau of Planning and Sustainability. She was thrown from her bike and sustained serious road rash and is still in physical therapy for a shoulder injury.

The biking community, along with others, is of course outraged at the ruling. We and other lawyers have chimed in as well. It is amazing that cyclists, pedestrians, lawmakers, police - even drivers - have learned the law and accept it as second nature. Portland police have made videos highlighting the classic right hook, what the law says about, what drivers and cyclists are supposed to do in such a situation, and then safety precautions each should take to prevent an accident. But when an accident does happen, the law is supposed to be on the side of the "vulnerable user" (i.e., the cyclist).

Instead, what the judge has done is muddled what so many had worked so hard to cement in everyone's minds as not only safe but adherent to law.

ORS 811.050 states that:

A person commits the offense of failure of a motor vehicle operator to yield to a rider on a bicycle lane if the person is operating a motor vehicle and the person does not yield the right of way to a person operating a bicycle, electric assisted bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, moped, motor assisted scooter or motorized wheelchair upon a bicycle lane.

A bicycle lane is defined as "that part of the highway, adjacent to the roadway, designated by official signs or markings for use by persons riding bicycles except as otherwise specifically provided by law."

And as anyone can see, not even car lanes continue through most intersections. Therefore, if we were to take the ruling as law - or fact - then that would mean the intersection could in essence be the one area not covered by law. It would be pandmonium. What is not stated explicitly in the law is understood by common sense.

We think the law is clear.

Ruling aside, this incident has reminded us that even if the law is on our side, cyclists are, like it or not, vulnerable in traffic. So we want to take this opportunity to remind everyone of some very important safety precautions.

Cyclists:

Never assume a motorist sees you. Obey the laws of traffic and try to make eye contact or communicate through hand signals, but never, ever take for granted that a car is supposed to stop for you. Give yourself plenty of distance, and even if you think you are safe, take one more glance around you to ensure someone is not coming at you.
    Even though this accident happened in the peak of summer, when the weather was warm and the sun was shining, every cyclist should wear the recommended safety gear: reflective and/or bright-colored clothing, lights in the front and back of the bike, and of course, a helmet.
    Motorists:

You have the responsibility as the bigger and faster vehicle operator to practice due care. When you have the weight and power of a car on your side, you also have an obligation to smaller and slower cyclists and pedestrians.
    Always be aware of your surroundings and watch for cyclists, especially at intersections. It makes sense. While cyclists are in a bike lane or sometimes on a sidewalk the one place, or most likely place, the two of you will converge is at an intersection. Be especially careful here.
    Slow down.
    Check your blind spot. Twice, if you have to.
    If an accident does occur, stop, assist the victim, and exchange any contact and insurance information.
    According to an update, the cyclist, Carmen Piekarski, still cannot move her arm to its full extent without pain and cracking. And she has decided against a civil lawsuit.

We have laws put in place for a reason, but that reason is not to exclude citizens from individual responsibility. We all share the road, and we all have the right to safety.

from
    http://portland.injuryboard.com/auto...oogleid=276598

No-Brakes Cougar
    Not sure if you can appeal a traffic court ruling, but I'd certainly try. That is the most unbelievable thing I've heard recently.

Moderator Moderator
    SanFran '09 bike report - trends, new bike counter, etc.....

http://sf.streetsblog.org/2010/01/22...ase-from-2006/

jrm
    mtbr member

Its all about the "free" right

its so dangerous to bikes and peds especially on freeway on ramps and interchanges. But engineers repute this claim because allowing a free right turn increases the ability for a intersection and interchange to move cars and trucks thought the intersection.

I got nothin'
    Here's one that will piss you off.

http://bikeportland.org/2010/01/22/m...ts-five-years/
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Moderator Moderator
    Yeah, and I see from one of the links that he was so sorry to kill the biking teacher that he talked to his lowlife freinds from jail about a fundraiser for the biker's family, but the plan was to use the $ for his bail! The girl is being charged with theft by deception & the driver is back in jail for violating conditions of bail.

http://www.kgw.com/home/Fraudulent-V...-70669877.html

How do you get such a bad driving record by the time you are 18???

Also a hit and run, and not only texting, said he was smoking a cigar too! Unbelievable.

My state (VT) does not have a anti-texting or anti-phoning law, but they are talking about one for texting this session.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Maybe it's just me, but I have a really hard time figuring out how there is so much gray area in these legal processes. The law says what it says, where do these friggin' idiots get off ruling that it says the opposite?

Since a lot of courts are, in effect, de-criminalizing everything short of mass murder, the mayhem that can be committed to a cyclist on the road is getting pretty heinous. Not only are we as citizens not safe, heck, that woman cyclist worked for the city! They're not even protecting their own!

Not sure about OR, but in Ohio, there are precedents for appeal of a traffic court ruling. We've seen 2 in recent times, out of three 'high-profile' cases.

mtb xplr -- the kid got that bad a driving record at that age just because he's a dumf**k who skated through the system that doesn't take anything seriously anymore.

They follow the credo of "don't sweat the small stuff" -- when, then, does it get big enough to sweat?

I got nothin'
    In OR we finally got a hands free and no texting law. I drivers are still too distracted with the "hands free" phones, you have to dial and accept calls still. I also think it's way to easy to get a drivers license in the U.S. I see a lot of drivers that are just not qualified to be on the road and need professional instruction.

The guy who was killed in Vancouver was also the teacher of the guy who killed him. The convict admitted that if it wasn't for the victim he would have never graduated high school. And yea, his girl friend is a real piece of work. She put together a benefit fundraiser for the victim with the majority of the donations coming from members of the victims church. She takes the money and uses it to post bail for the convict. They are both nasty pieces of s$$t.

The convict was also on a suspended license.

The convict gets a 5 year sentence and I bet he's out in 3.

Moderator Moderator

Cops stop cyclist with butcher knife-pool cue axe

Cops stop cyclist with butcher knife-pool cue axe
    The Associated Press
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010; 3:17 PM

ALEXANDRIA, La. -- Alexandria police said man stopped for riding his bicycle at night without a headlight was carrying a weapon made from a butcher knife attached to a pool cue. They said the 51-year-old man also had a razor blade in his hat. He was booked with illegally carrying a weapon, doing so after a felony conviction, resisting an officer, public intoxication and at least five outstanding warrants.

The police report said the suspect originally gave police a fake name. An officer patted him down and found a metal push rod that appeared to be used for smoking crack cocaine. They also found a prescription painkiller in someone else's name.

from
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012602511.html

Classic unclear headline - I thought the cops were wielding the weapon!
    OK, I might be stretching the "bike commuter news" topic, seems unlikely he was on his way to a real job

Moderator Moderator

UK Police Chief Victim of Road Rage on Bike Home; Teen Banned from Driving for 2 yrs.

Burnley road rage teen targeted cycling police chief
    (From Lancashire Telegraph)

11:43am Tuesday 2nd February 2010

By Wendy Barlow »

A ROAD rage teenage driver repeatedly targeted a cyclist and left him fearing for his life.

Burnley Crown Court heard how unbeknown to Benjamin Harrison, 18, his victim was police inspector Martin Melvin.

Nine times he almost mowed down DI Melvin, aiming for him on the pavement, striking his handle-bars, forcing him off his bike into trees, threatening to kill him and hurling stones and coins at him.

The victim had no escape route and had no choice but to continue his journey on the almost deserted road, the court heard.

Mr Melvin, who had just left Burnley police station, arrived at his home 20 minutes after his prolonged ordeal visibly shaking.

He had taken Harrison’s registration number and the defendant was later arrested.

Harrison, of Low Bank, Burnley, admitted dangerous driving in Accrington Road, Burnley, and common assault.

Recorder Graham Wood, QC, who said Mr Melvin was a “bit of an unfortunate choice of victim”, gave him nine months in jail, suspended for two years, with 12 months supervision and 100 hours unpaid work. He was banned from driving for two years and must pay £750 costs.

Recorder Wood told the defendant he had been “very fortunate indeed” to keep his freedom and warned him not to let his family and himself down.

Sarah Statham, prosecuting, said Harrison did not know his victim was a detective inspector and behaved as he did because his victim was a cyclist.

DI Melvin, in his cycling gear and helmet, was travelling from Burnley towards Accrington on the evening of July 3, when Harrison pulled alongside him, sounded his horn and began to shout loudly.

During the incident Harrison came into contact with the victim’s handlebars, forced him to veer on the grass verge, waved a clenched fist towards DI Melvin and shouted: “Get off the road. I will run you off the road. I will kill you. Get off the road.”

He also sounded his horn repeatedly, threw stones and drove straight at the victim from about 10 yards in front of him.

The prosecutor said the defendant was arrested at his parents’ home.

He asked officers: “Can I not just apologise?”

Harrison was questioned twice but was not entirely frank on either occasion, the court was told.

In his first interview, he claimed the cyclist made a gesture and at first he thought it was someone he knew.

The hearing heard how in his second interview, Harrison made further admissions and said he had turned round twice.

Bedwards Of The West
    If I was a judge I would sentence that kid to 20 minutes on a bicycle on an empty road with Martin Melvin behind the wheel of his car. And three of his friends placed at undisclosed strategic locations along the road. And then 20 punches in the face and 100 hours of community service.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I agree that putting someone like this in his victims shoes is the best punishment. It's the quickest, most effective way to make him realize how dangerous his actions are. What a stupid sh!t.

~Disc~Golf~
    Honestly... ahh I give up

No-Brakes Cougar
    Absolutely disgusting. And I'm not surprised by the SFGate comments. Every time I read an article on that site, regardless of the subject matter there are people tripping over themselves to blame the victim, race, religion, lifestyle or whoever their insecurities cause them to lash out at. You think we have @ssholes here at MTBR? Try perusing sfgate.com sometime, you're in for a real treat. OK, that's enough ranting for me today.

~Disc~Golf~
    Score 1 for the intervening citizen...
    <object id="flashObj" width="486" height="412" classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9/35146384001?isVid=1&publisherID=35121343001" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=64312868001&playerID=35146384001&do main=embed&" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9/35146384001?isVid=1&publisherID=35121343001" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=64312868001&playerID=3514638400 1&domain=embed&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    It's hard to believe that either accident was not avoidable...just awful...

Last week the VT legislature heard testimony on an anti-texting law & the paper reported that the most moving testimony was from the wife of a cyclist hit by a driver looking at a handheld GPS last year. The cyclist, in his 70's, only survived by a series of miracles. She urged them to ban all e-devices, not just texting, but that sounds unlikely to pass.

But we're not safe at home either - just read about a MA logging truck that has been wedged in a house since Friday - the occupant avoided injury only by luck. They just decided there is no way to get the truck out except to demolish the house.

Bedwards Of The West
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35369138

Although crime is dropping in Los Angeles, there is one glaring exception: bicycle thefts, which rose 29 percent last year, it was reported Friday.

Nearly 2,000 bikes were reported stolen last year, and authorities believe the actual number of thefts was much higher because so many people don't report stolen bikes, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Los Angeles Police Department detectives believe the increase is due in part to more people using bikes to get around in some neighborhoods. A Times analysis of LAPD data found the USC campus area, Venice, parts of Hollywood and downtown L.A. to be hot spots for bike thefts.

LAPD detectives recently broke up a downtown bicycle theft ring and nabbed two men who allegedly swiped bikes downtown and sold them on Craigslist.com, The Times reported. At the motel of one of the alleged thieves, they found bolt cutters, hacksaws and a Mercedes-Benz equipped with a bike rack.

Some bike messengers last month took justice into their own hands when they caught two suspected thieves, teenage boys who attended a local Catholic high school, The Times reported. According to police, the messengers stripped down the teens to their boxer shorts before taking their cellphones, backpacks and clothes.

"They meted out street justice. We don't condone street justice. They never threatened them. But they made it clear: don't mess with another person's property," Lt. Paul Vernon told the newspaper. "This incident and the arrests are the tip of the iceberg when comes to people stealing bicycles."

Investigators said they cannot prove the boys were stealing bikes and are continuing to look for the assailants.

Obviously a bogus report....it's craigslist.ORG

Moderator Moderator

Hang Up & Bike!

Proposed Texting And Cell Phone Fines For Cyclist
    Rick Boone FOX40 News
    February 22, 2010

DAVIS - How would you like to pay more if your caught talking and driving.

If one lawmaker has his way, the fines could go way up for texting or holding a cell phone to your ear while you drive. Bicyclists would also face the same fines.

State Senator Joe Simitian from Palo Alto is the reason many of us are no longer texting and talking while driving. Now the Senator is proposing to spread the rules to those on bicycles. Right now if your caught you'll face about a 20-buck fine, but that could be increased to $100-dollars.

But Simitian says the legislation has one real purpose - to cut down or delete road distractions. He says "this is an issue of public safety".

The Senator says his laws are working since it started July 1, 2008... the highway patrol has seen a 50-percent drop in distracted driving accidents... And he's hoping if this new bill is passed it will increase those safety numbers drastically.

Still some cyclist believe they'll keep texting, "one hand on the brake...one hand on the phone"...Robert Alverson from Davis says ruling or not it wont affect him. "I've been talking and texting for awhile...it's a habit". But his habit could be broken if the the bill becomes a law in 2O11.
    Copyright © 2010, KTXL-TV

namagomi
    Everybody loves to pick on the little guy.

If they don't pick on you, they'll be sure to tell you they're doing you a BIG favour.

No-Brakes Cougar
    You shouldn't be driving or cycling or do anything on the road (including crossing it on foot) while texting. Paying attention is really one of the best and easiest ways to stay alive and also not kill others in the process as well.

~Disc~Golf~
    wtfffffffffffffffffffff
    i luv txtin on th

I got nothin'

OMG Davis!

I lived there for six years. I am not surprised by the reaction of the cyclist in regards to texting while riding. Davis is a college town and many stay after graduation to live to prolong their entry into the world. I use to see people all over town riding and talking on their cell, no helmet pedaling and weaving on their cruiser bikes wearing flip flops with no care in the world. That's ok, everyone else will watch out for you, even the drunken frat boy on a suspended license in his SUV.

mtbr member
    I think riding and texting deserves some kind of award. Impressive stuff.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    I think riding and texting deserves some kind of award. Impressive stuff.
    Yeah- I used to be impressed by the guys who like to peel bananas while riding. That ain`t nuthin` anymore!
    Recalculating....

banned
    Lol check this vid! youll crack
    http://******/8ZTQF

Lemme knw what u think !

Thanks. X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    You shouldn't be driving or cycling or do anything on the road (including crossing it on foot) while texting. Paying attention is really one of the best and easiest ways to stay alive and also not kill others in the process as well.
    Some people walk, cycle, or drive poorly without distractions. I love the technozombies on iTunes 'phones and texting stepping out into the street as if walking the hall to their bedroom at home. Day of the Electronic Dead. Or soon to be dead? They always have the right of way but what about the poor schmuck who they step right out in front of? They have to live with maimiing or killing for the rest of their lives. Darwinian selection in action?

I have my mind fully occupied trying to keep from getting run over out there. Or hit by a wrong-way cyclist. And avoiding technozombies. Phone? Text? But you can't fix stupid.

Moderator Moderator

Creepy...sounds like he was just riding along...

Cyclist's death ruled homicide
    Andy Matarrese
    Issue date: 2/25/10 Section: News

Portland [Oregon] Police now consider the death of a cyclist who was run over on Nov. 4 by two cars at North Willamette Boulevard and Hodge Street a homicide, and are asking for the public's help in solving the case.

The victim, 32-year-old musician Kipp Crawford, was seen riding his bicycle eastbound on North Willamette Boulevard at approximately 2:30 a.m. when, for unknown reasons, his bike crashed and he landed in the westbound lane.

According to Detective Bryan Steed, it initially appeared that two drunk drivers killed Crawford.

"During that investigation," Steed said, "information came to light that led us to believe that Mr. Crawford may have been the victim of assault or robbery just prior to having been run over by the cars, which started the homicide investigation."

Evidence at the scene and the lack of other evidence led police to believe he was involved in a robbery or assault before he was hit, Steed said.

Witnesses told police they saw and heard an angry altercation between Crawford and the unidentified suspect, and that the suspect was standing over Crawford as he lay in the middle of the street. Detectives described the suspect as a white male in his 20s.

"This is a tough case. There's very little physical evidence," Steed said, explaining that the fact Crawford was struck by two cars made it impossible to determine whether he was attacked beforehand.

The police, in association with Crime Stoppers, are asking anyone with information that could lead to an arrest in this case to please come forward and contact Crime Stoppers at 503-823-4357 or leave a tip online at www.crimestoppersoforegon.com. They are offering a reward of up to $1,000 for tips that help solve the case.

"It hurts a lot and if anybody has anything to offer, any clues or leads or anything, it would help," said a tearful Vern Crawford, Kipp's father, at a press conference in downtown Portland Feb. 18. "It's not just for us but for his sister and a big circle of friends that he had here."

Moderator Moderator

OK, maybe he wasn't commuting, but...

Bicycle injuries keep Colo. governor in hospital
    By STEVEN K. PAULSON (AP) – 2 hours ago

DENVER — Doctors say Gov. Bill Ritter will stay in the hospital for three or four days recovering from broken ribs and a separated shoulder he suffered in a bicycle wreck.

Doctors said he can return to work as soon as he's released from the hospital if he's up to it.

Dr. Carlton Barnett, Ritter's surgeon, said Wednesday the governor suffered six broken ribs and a separated shoulder Tuesday when he ran into another cyclist and tumbled from his bike.

He said the governor is in fair condition at Denver Health Medical Center and will stay there for three or four days to make sure he takes his pain medication and to prevent possible complications, including pneumonia.

The governor is also undergoing rehabilitation, including breathing exercises.

Ritter was one of five bicyclists about 2 1/2 miles north of the governor's mansion shortly after 6 a.m. Tuesday when his wheel hit the wheel of a man in front of him. The other cyclist had a minor wrist injury and wasn't hospitalized, according to Ritter's spokesman, Evan Dreyer. Dreyer said the cyclists were going about 15 mph at the time.

None of the other cyclists were identified.

Dreyer said Ritter was still in charge of the state, but it wasn't clear when the governor would be able to return to work. Dreyer said several appointments were turned over Lt. Gov. Barbara O'Brien, including reading to fourth-graders for the national Read Across America Day.

Kalee Tilli, a Denver paramedic who took Ritter to the hospital in an ambulance, said the governor was sitting on the sidewalk when help arrived, talking with the other cyclists about the accident.

"He was clearly in a lot of pain," she said.

Barnett said Ritter should be well enough to throw out the first pitch on opening day April 9 if the Colorado Rockies invite him.

"He might have to move up closer to home plate," Barnett said.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Moderator Moderator

Bus hits biker, keeps going despite pleas from passengers

Moderator Moderator

Horror day for cyclists after Ambulance Victoria treats 14 in 24 hours

Horror day for cyclists after Ambulance Victoria treats 14 in 24 hours

AAP From: AAP March 04, 2010 6:31AM UPDATE 8.37am:

A CYCLIST has suffered serious head injuries after being hit by a car in Fitzroy this morning, while traffic has come to a standstill around the scene.
    The male cyclist, in his 20s, and a car were involved in the collision at the corner of Johnston and Brunswick Streets in Fitzroy.

A witness told 3AW a MICA unit and two other ambulances were on the scene.

The cyclist suffered serious head injuries, and a woman suffered minor injuries to her arm.

Traffic around the area has been brought to a standstill by the accident, with the intersection closed by emergency services.

Drivers are advised to avoid the area.

The crash comes after a horror 24-hours on Melbourne roads for cyclists, with ambulance officers treating 14 riders in the one day.

A six-year-old boy and an 87-year-old man were among the latest bike riders treated by paramedics, Ambulance Victoria said last night.

The young boy suffered bruising and swelling to his forehead and was taken to Frankston Hospital.

The elderly man called paramedics yesterday after coming off his bike on Tuesday and injuring his leg, Ambulance Victoria said.

The most seriously injured of all the patients was a 48-year-old man who came off his bike onto tram tracks in Commercial Road at Prahran just before 8.30am.

"He struck his head on the road but thankfully was wearing a helmet," intensive care paramedic Rohan Miniken said.

"The man has bruising and swelling to his side and may have fractured some ribs and a has a collapsed lung," he said.

He was taken to The Alfred hospital in a stable condition.

Ambulance Victoria said that last Wednesday paramedics in Melbourne treated six cyclists injured in 24 hours.

from http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225836776062

Moderator Moderator

California Bike Coalition, SF Bike Coalition opposing Cellphone Law for Cyclists

I'm surprised at the turn this is taking...now even some bike advocate groups are opposing the inclusion of cyclists in the cellphone ban. Even complaining it could reduce cycling...I think any credibility they had is going out the window.

http://sf.streetsblog.org/2010/03/03...-driving-bill/

No-Brakes Cougar
    Bus drivers in general are pretty bad (almost as bad as cab drivers), but SF Muni are the worst of all, no doubt. Horribly under qualified for anything even remotely related to transportation. I seriously think that Muni requires drivers to take LSD before starting their work day.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    I'm surprised at the turn this is taking...now even some bike advocate groups are opposing the inclusion of cyclists in the cellphone ban. Even complaining it could reduce cycling...I think any credibility they had is going out the window.

http://sf.streetsblog.org/2010/03/03...-driving-bill/
    Totally asinine. I'm really surprised that SF Bike Coalition is backing this so feverishly. If you want to be treated like a vehicle you have to act like one and that includes following the same laws that motorist follow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Biking directions added to Google Maps

Google rolling out bike directions.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...ogle-maps.html

Moderator Moderator

Bikes taking over 2 center lanes of Pennsylvania Ave in DC

weirdo

Impeding traffic in Texas

2nd offense leads to a day in the can. This guy can`t win- first he gets Barney Fife cops, THEN he gets a Barney judge. Readers digest version first, then the jailbird`s blog (long, but very interresting).

http://let-him-ride.com/
    http://chipsea.blogspot.com/
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ It will be interesting to see how he makes out in the end. Pretty bad they kept him in jail 27 hours after his arrest for biking...but I'm sure the town was much safer without this hardened criminal on the streets.

mtbr member
    Texas cyclist case is troubling.

I have a bad feeling about the politics involved.

Moderator Moderator

No-Brakes Cougar
    "So according to NY1, a cyclist who was knocked into traffic by a car door 'struck' a bus? Note the tense of this verb. A 25,000 lb vehicle collides with a 57 year-old woman on a bike, and she is somehow the one who does the striking?" 1010WINS also reports that she was "hit by the bus after she struck the door."
    Of course. It's always the cyclist fault, isn't it?

weirdo
    The article isn`t very clearly written (author seems to be a rantist in training), but I didn`t see any blame pointed towards the cyclist. Stories like this really are a shame, but they make me appreciate not living in Metropolis or riding in city traffic very often.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member

Lance Armstrong thinks Tony Kornheiser is an idiot

Tony Kornheiser went off on cyclists last week -- at one point even saying "run them over" -- and now Lance Armstrong wants to throw him under the bus.

Kornheiser's rant on ESPN Radio 980 was in reaction to the addition of bicycling lanes in Washington, D.C. It began as a discussion about sharing the road but soon disintegrated into an attack on anyone who rides on two wheels. Said Kornheiser of cyclists:

"And they all, my God, with their water bottles in the back, and their stupid hats, and their shiny shorts, they're the same kind of disgusting posers that in a snowstorm come out with cross-country skis on your block. Run them down."

Kornheiser later modified that to, "So you tap them. I'm not saying kill them."

That inspired two tweets from Armstrong today:

"Listening to Tony Kornheiser's comments/rant on ESPN radio re: cyclists. Disgusting, ignorant, foolish. What a complete f-ing idiot."

And:

"Not happy about Kornheiser's comments? Let them know @ESPNRadio980, @ptishow, and here http://www.espn980.com/info/contact_us.php"

Maybe we can get Kornheiser to do a timely followup, on what he thinks of Hannah Storm wearing biking apparel.

-- Tom Weir

weirdo

Pedaling hero...

Okay, it isn`t a commute story, but how about some cycling inspiration for this bummer thread? Kyle Bryant has an incurable progressive nerve disorder and can barely walk, but he`ll be captaining a team in this year`s RAAM. A lot of you might not know about that race, but it`s an anual coast to coast race across the US that`s run in a single stage- not like the TDF, where the weenies rest up in a hotel and sleep every night. For RAAM, clock starts when the ride starts and it keeps going until the race finishes, usually about 9 days later. This year`s race is from near Oceanside, CA to Anapolis.
    Kick some butt, Team FARA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSX8cPK47hk
    http://www.curefa.org/teamfararaam.html
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Wow, that is off the charts

mtbr member
    When I'm told I'm nuts to have ridden 30, 50 , or 100 miles in a day, I trot out these guys. Or the mountain downhillers. Or mountain BMX. Is sanity a relative thing?

BTW new 03/31 posting on blogspot about another traffic pullover on chipseal (link in post 39). The police officer can justify impeding traffic by closing a lane in rush hour under heavy use with an improper pull over (no just cause). BUT other officers on the force can't tolerate a cyclist on a lightly travelled four lane road, as that is 'impeding'? That doesn't seem to fit, does it? That doesn't bring in the real potential of a rear ender because of the pull over! The officer knew his name though they had not been introduced. Seems to be skimming on the edge of harrassment, to me. If I were chipseal, I'd make very sure I wasn't leaving the least opening for a legitmate charge. And the fact he had a measuring tape with him demonstrates a certain awareness of that. Mind you, if that shoulder was safe I'd have used it. I assume it wasn't in his view, so it is a matter of who gets to decide what is safe for a cyclist. Someone who wants him put in his 'place' or the cyclist. Still sounds like power politics to me.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 04-01-2010 at 10:15 AM.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Okay, it isn`t a commute story, but how about some cycling inspiration for this bummer thread? Kyle Bryant has an incurable progressive nerve disorder and can barely walk, but he`ll be captaining a team in this year`s RAAM. A lot of you might not know about that race, but it`s an anual coast to coast race across the US that`s run in a single stage- not like the TDF, where the weenies rest up in a hotel and sleep every night. For RAAM, clock starts when the ride starts and it keeps going until the race finishes, usually about 9 days later. This year`s race is from near Oceanside, CA to Anapolis.
    Kick some butt, Team FARA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSX8cPK47hk
    http://www.curefa.org/teamfararaam.html
    I've always loved the idea of RAAM. It's like Cannonball Run, but with bicycles! There are also guys who race choppers across the country. Rigid, no chase truck, not even rubberized motor mounts!

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ There was an official RAAM vehicle and a few guys training for the RAAM at a century I did a couple years ago. I saw them at the start ...by the time I finished my 108 miles, they were probably 5 hours down the road on the way to tomorrow's century

mtbr member
    I knew a guy that did that kind of racing. His training rides were like 350 miles. The dude took off in the morning and wouldn't get back until the next afternoon. Pretty much rode the whole time other than a few stops at convenience stores for hostess fruit pies (it was the 80's, views on nutrition were a little different).

Bedwards Of The West
    That is freaking awesome.

Reminds me of John Stamstad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stamstad

I remember reading an article about him somewhere, where he's in a convenience store and he's unable to find a food that contains enough calories to keep him from bonking on one of his multi-day epics...he's eating straight easy cheese out of the bottle, and carries a water bottle full of salad oil on his bike, for instant calorie consumption.

weirdo
    Reminds me of John Stamstad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stamstad
    Whoa! I hadn`t heard of him.
    From Wiki:
    "Ultra-Marathon Cycling Association 24 Hour Off-Road World Record - 352 miles (566 km)"
    And...
    "1996 First solo entry and first solo finish of the 24 Hours of Canaan (He entered as a team using four variations of his name) and bested more than half of the teams."
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=CommuterBoyThat is freaking awesome. Reminds me of John Stamstad.[/QUOTE]

Impressive. VERY Impressive! I didn't know of him, either.

Moderator Moderator
    I could do the easy cheese, but ick on the salad oil. I guess its better than Crisco.

mtbr member
    Soviet soldiers in WW II on starvation rations raided houses and ate lard right out of the container when they found it. It is hard to imagine being that calorie deprived. We are SO lucky.

Moderator Moderator

Cyclist killed by virtual pet

No-Brakes Cougar
    Oh gosh, I remember those things. That almost pre-dates cell phones! At least, the era in which "everybody" has them. Guess there's always been enough distractions to kill cyclists and pedestrians.

weirdo
    I must have missed keychain pets- never heard of them. And I still don`t have a cell phone, but might have to break down one of these days since pay phones are becoming harder to find every day.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator

U.S. Transportation Secretary on Bike & Drugs??

weirdo
    Maybe he`s on EPO?
    Recalculating....

No-Brakes Cougar
    But it's LaHood's view "that the federal government should not take the position that roads and trains are real transportation and walking and biking is not," Kienitz said. "His view is it's all real transportation, and we should consider it based on what benefits it can bring for the amount of money we spend."
    Seems reasonable to me. It's about time somebody "important" actually acted like they gave a sh!t. And where exactly does it say that this is going to have a crippling impact on the trucking industry? Or is that just baseless conjecture?

mtbr member
    Fear. Fear that trucking won't be as subsidized as it is currently. Possibly seeking more to be molllified. Crap as usual.

iRonic

Bet it's the railroads....

Be afraid! Be very Afraid!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/saqb4MtVm4o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/saqb4MtVm4o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Ron

weirdo
    All I know for sure is that when I order goodies I don`t want to hear that they might be a while in transit because somebody is pedaling my new tires or whatever from the port.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    We subsidized railroads when the robber barons were in control. Now we subsidize trucking. A bit fairer competition would sort out truck/rail. Bikes have their place but not as more than personal cargo vehicles. I don't want to bike in Beijing-like crouds of cyclists.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I don't think it's been even implied by Secretary LaHood that bicycles will take over the shipping duties and majority of federal subsidies from trucks. It just a case of the usual partisan bullsh!t, us versus them, American political arena as a football game, we're all American unless you disagree with my politics, etc.... OK, I'll cool it with the ranting. I'll try not to turn this thread into a typical internet news comment box.

~Disc~Golf~
    kinda old - so it may not qualify as "news"...

mtbr member
    thx for sharing highdell-- I had never seen that vid before-- then again-- don't live in WI either!

mtbr member
    Check April 22 a page or two down and NPR link.

http://fastlane.dot.gov/

More from LaHood. Thought you'd like to know. Check the NPR link, too.

PS. Today, I doubled our town's known commuters. Every turn of the wheel counts.

Moderator Moderator

Ex-Officer Convicted of Lying About Confrontation With Cyclist

Moderator Moderator
    Video starring avid biker John Leguizamo. In it, he encourages everyone in New York to "go out there and buy yourself the cheapest, crappiest bike..." Also includes advice on protecting the family jewels.

http://gothamist.com/2010/05/06/with...n_john_leg.php

Moderator Moderator
    Cyclist on interstate struck by truck

Police believe alcohol might have been a factor when a 57-year-old Port Huron man was hit by a truck while riding his bicycle Monday morning on Interstate 94. Rescue crews responded to the scene on eastbound I-94 near Griswold Road in Port Huron Township about 2:30 a.m., according to a statement from the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department. The driver of the truck hauling aircraft and auto parts from Fort Loramie, Ohio to Tecumseh, Ontario, said he didn't see the man on the bike until it was too late to stop. Police do not believe speed was a factor; they believe the cyclist was using alcohol. The cyclist was taken to Port Huron Hospital with injuries not believed to be life threatening. Deputy Steve Campau, the sheriff's department's public information officer, said it is illegal to ride a bicycle on the interstate. The incident remains under investigation. Police are not releasing the man's name.

weirdo
    Cop V Cyclist:
    Weird. Too bad the video didn`t continue with Act II, the arrest. I didn`t catch that one when it was "fresh", so thanks for the link.

~Disc~Golf~
    RE: NY critical mass pig trial:
    "Mr. Long took the witness stand, and the bulk of the cross-examination focused on his background, which he admitted included frequent marijuana use and causing the death of a man in a traffic accident. "
    What the fukk does that have to do with anything?

No-Brakes Cougar
    RE: NY critical mass pig trial:
    "Mr. Long took the witness stand, and the bulk of the cross-examination focused on his background, which he admitted included frequent marijuana use and causing the death of a man in a traffic accident. "
    What the fukk does that have to do with anything?
    They're trying to discredit his testimony by showing faults in his character. And some people wonder why lawyers are so hated.

mtbr member
    They're trying to discredit his testimony by showing faults in his character. And some people wonder why lawyers are so hated.
    Sometimes juries are not very likable either.

I saw no hand or signal to stop. No whistle. No sign to pull over. The cop got off very lucky on the assault charge IMHO. Been interesting if it had been someone with connections.

I'd say from the video he was very eligible for a civil suit. The conviction for lying means the tape will need to speak for what actually happened. Unless the cyclist refused a previous request to pull over by another patrolman creating just cause, this is hooliganism, uniform, or no.

weirdo
    Seems to be headlining the bike blogs today- bicycle ban in small CO town:
    http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15298056

Moderator Moderator
    Wow! That's pretty unbelievable. They need a case of "bicycling is not a crime" bumper stickers.

mtbr member
    Sounds like inadequate infrastructure to support the casino tourism and the council is too cheap to provide a bike lane/path and/or afraid of lawsuits from the busses hitting cyclists coming to the council.

If there is no shoulder, do cyclists walk their bikes on the road? Be interesting to look up Colorodo pedestrian rules. A lot of bikes being walked is a LOT slower than when ridden.

They are also depriving their kids of bike riding. Dumb solution.

No-Brakes Cougar
    O_O Wow.... isn't that unconstitutional? Or just incredibly asinine?

Moderator Moderator
    O_O Wow.... isn't that unconstitutional? Or just incredibly asinine?
    Yes!

mtbr member

Pa. bicyclist on cross-country cancer ride killed

(06-24) 06:01 PDT Ringtown, Pa. (AP) --

A 19-year-old Pennsylvania man riding his bicycle across the country to raise awareness and money for breast cancer research was struck and killed by an SUV in New Mexico.

Officials say John Anczarski, of Ringtown, Pa., died Tuesday of injuries suffered a day earlier in New Laguna, N.M., about 50 miles west of Albuquerque.

Anczarski, a University of Colorado engineering student, and three friends called their project "The Pink Pedal." The group said it had raised several thousand dollars for cancer research. They left Pennsylvania on May 23 and expected to reach San Diego next month.

Police say the investigation into the crash has been turned over to the Bureau of Indian Affairs, because the accident occurred on tribal land. No charges have been filed.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...4D14.DTL&tsp=1

weirdo
    That sucks. A bit more of the details here:
    http://republicanherald.com/news/rin...exico-1.860643

mtbr member
    Yeah, it sucks. Welcome to my nighmare.

You pray they keep it 3 feet to your left. It is hard to be vigilant with the mirror so you can be prepared to head to the ditch for every car. We had several police officers on a police bike ride killed in Indiana when their chase vehicle (a 1 ton van) was struck by a long wheelbase straight truck and forced over the nearest riders. So even the 'saftey' of a buffering chase vehicle is no guarantee. You do the best you can, or you hang up the bike.

~Disc~Golf~
    there's a million ways to die

mtbr member

Chip Seal convicted

Is Texas Justics and oxymoron when applied to cyclists? A follow up to the cyclist charged with impeding traffic then endangerment (presumably of self):

http://cycledallas.blogspot.com/2010...-reckless.html

Thought you'd like to know.

Bedwards Of The West
    Is Bike Commuter News the same as Commuter Bike News? Because in a major victory for commuters everywhere, UCI has changed the cyclocross rule banning disc brakes in international competition:
    http://www.cxmagazine.com/disc-brake...ci-debate-2010

The implications for potential commuter bike builds are huge, as most major manufacturers must at least now consider offering their high-end cyclocross frames and forks with disc tabs. This could even lead to the development of hydraulic road levers...

namagomi
    Is Bike Commuter News the same as Commuter Bike News? Because in a major victory for commuters everywhere, UCI has changed the cyclocross rule banning disc brakes in international competition:
    http://www.cxmagazine.com/disc-brake...ci-debate-2010

The implications for potential commuter bike builds are huge, as most major manufacturers must at least now consider offering their high-end cyclocross frames and forks with disc tabs. This could even lead to the development of hydraulic road levers...
    Not sure if it's good for the sport, but it is good news for commuters and the cx based industry. Lets hope they don't shy away from fender mountings!

mtbr member
    From Commuterboys link here:

http://www.cxmagazine.com/uci-rules-big-season

I quote: "The Committee reduced the maximum width of tires from 35mm to 33mm, meaning some riders will have to adapt to slightly narrower tires for next season. Although not many UCI racers compete on clinchers, this rule could impact those who race with wider tires. It’s important to note that most 700×35c clinchers are undersized and do not measure out to be more than 33c on a standard road rim, according to our comprehensive tire reviews."

For commuting, I wish they hadn't. My 32's are 31.9 mm on 19 mm rims, and my 35 mm on 23 mm rims are 35, or close enough. A nice commuter derived from a cross designed with a true 35 mm tire in mind would be nice. Oh well.

PS I hope that covers my butt wrt copyright.

Moderator Moderator

Truck driver inconvenienced, wants arrogant unlawful cyclists off the road

Burlington VT Free Press
    My Turn:
    Arrogant, naive bicyclists dangerous on roads By Bill Russell • Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Comments(104)
    I would like to thank Mike Lavery for his comments Sept. 26 on cyclists on our roads (“Bicyclist ad*vocates being selfish, petty”). (note -I've been unable to find this gem) I’m a small earth contractor in Underhill. On a daily basis I encounter several times, dangerous meetings with cyclists while driving a 60,000 pound load, 10-wheel gravel truck.

Arrogant is the best word I can come up with, along with naive, for cyclists' unlawful operation of their bikes. At times I have to slow to almost a stop to avoid an accident -- this is where the naive part comes into play as well as arrogant. Most of the cyclists I encounter don't have a "clue" of the dangers at hand.

We drivers can choose three ways to navigate in these scary dilemmas: 1. Cross the yellow line and force over or hit the oncoming vehicle; 2. Run over or shove the cyclist off into the guard rails or over the bank; or 3. Slow to near a stop and then slowly shift our heavy loaded trucks back up to speed after avoiding them, which by the way takes time, extra fuel and holds up other traffic. Obviously I take the third and will continue to do so, but it will someday have to stop. Roads like Vermont 15, River Road, Pleasant Valley and others just simply do not have the room needed for both.
    It is sad that it will come to a dramatic end when some politician's child or family gets severely hurt or killed in a situation where another driver took or was forced to take ways number 1 or 2.

It's mandatory for motorcycle operators to take special safety courses and we as truck drivers take driving courses and have to maintain our commercial drivers licenses, as well as need to be tested and licensed to use the highways. But the bikers can simply ride along our roads without any safety training, licensing or insurance at all, say nothing of sharing the road costs.

The state of Vermont should mark this note and others about the dangers they are condoning, allowing cyclists to share our busy "outdated roadways." As Mr. Lavery stated, "Isn't it funny that motorists that pay have a 'privilege' to use the roads and for bikes it is a 'right'? Lets take back our roads."

Bill Russell lives in Underhill.

mtbr member
    Why am I so unsurprised?

~Disc~Golf~
    Burlington VT Free Press
    My Turn:
    Arrogant, naive bicyclists dangerous on roads By Bill Russell • Wednesday, October 20, 2010 ....
    infuriating...

weirdo
    Aw, man- I hate it when I get home and find the remains of a battered bicycle stuck under my car.

http://www.tbd.com/articles/2010/09/...ent-12745.html
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    That is pretty scary! And I must say that when I have been driving & unable to avoid a collision with a deer (which refuse to use blinkies, relective wear, or stay toward the right side of the road), that I always knew exactly what I was hitting. I don't get how you can just mow anything over and not even see it.

mtbr member
    That is pretty scary! And I must say that when I have been driving & unable to avoid a collision with a deer (which refuse to use blinkies, relective wear, or stay toward the right side of the road), that I always knew exactly what I was hitting. I don't get how you can just mow anything over and not even see it.
    Haven't hit a cyclist (touch wood). If deer would stay at the side of the road they wouldn't be such an issue. I have done $3500 damage to a months old Honda Civic hitting an 8-point buck (dressed out at 195 pounds!) that bounded onto I71 landing its leap 3 feet in front of my left headlight (dark overcast night, no glimpse before hand. Just: Deer head! and Crunch.) Yeah, you see it. If the driver in question never hit a deer, or never rode in a car when it hit a deer, she would not know their tawny coloring shows up very well at short range in the headlights! Now if you were trying to dial a phone number, or swapping out a CD, or other wise not looking, it is easy not to see what you hit.

You are also required to stop in most states if you hit someone's dog. Then there is vehicle damage. It makes one heck of a noise to do that much damage. Wouldn't you be concerned about whether it is safe to drive the car? So it doesn't pass the 'guilty or so stupid she may as well be' test. Negligence, incompetence, or criminal, does it matter? Makes you wonder if the woman is covering for the actual driver who should not have been driving.

Bike had no front light mount I could see. 5:00 AM Sunday morning = dark. Ninja rider?

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    ...Makes you wonder if the woman is covering for the actual driver..
    humm...I think BrianMKojak has an interesting point of view...

this cases are just sad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    humm...I think BrianMKojak.
    Not that bald (yet). Don't like suckers much. Who loves ya?

has an interesting point of view....
    Too many detective novels....

this cases are just sad.
    The every dark cloud has a silver lining: Good thing the cyclist was thrown clear. She wasn't under the car when it got home.

So senseless, so preventable, so sad, and such a waste.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 11-07-2010 at 08:54 PM.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    ... Good thing the cyclist was thrown clear. ...
    why?

mtbr member
    why?
    Not to put too fine a point on it, being sandpapered to death against the pavement while trapped under an SUV, is among my last choices as a way to buy the farm. There was a recent pedestrian who was not discovered until the drunk driver got home. Don't remember the details.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 63