mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Porteur Racks, anyone use them?

I was thinking of adding a porteur rack to my commuter and was wondering if anyone had experience or strong opinions on them. I was thinking of getting it to make it easier to carry boxes and those reusable grocery bags. My rear rack isn't good with boxes, especially with the pannier on it.

I'd rather not drop the cash on a cargo bike just yet, but added rack capacity would help me stay on the bike and out of the car. Cost wise it beats a trailer, which I'm not really sure I'd like anyways. Just like the rear rack, while it'll add weight, it doesn't seem like it'll be in the way when not in use.

I ride a trek 7.3 with the mid fork braze on, so I'm assuming the bike is designed for a front rack too. It also would provide a good mounting point for lights to free up my bars.

What are good brands?

mtbr member
    I built my own using aluminum channel and stainless steel corner braces and some bits I had:

I modelled it on these:

RACKS ? CETMA Cargo

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Howd you feel riding with a heavy load up front?

Also is that a drum brake up front?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KentheKona View Post
    Howd you feel riding with a heavy load up front?

Also is that a drum brake up front?
    I had one ride back with a lot of weight up front and the bracket attaching to the crown had loosened. That allowed the loaded rack to sway so that every slight change in the handlebars gave me a load shift about a second after. Not a fun ride home. The new fork is a bit longer than the old one, allowing 38 mm with fenders. It also tilts back the head and seat tube angles a bit, making it more like a loaded tourer geometry (more stable.)

That is the 90 mm Sturmey Archer Drum/dynamo hub:

Fork/wheel comes to about the same weight as the only disc threaded steel fork with disc tabs available, and disc brake dyno hub wheel would be. Modulates very well and is self actuated, so a bit like power brakes. A baby finger of lever pressure stops you quickly. The dyno is OK, much better than old SA ones, nit up to Shimano quality. It actually has less drag on than off so I run the light all the time. Completely immune from weather (other than tire friction with the road). They are more common on Dutch delivery bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Cool, winter has made me tired of the V-brakes. They are so touchy and I've had icing problems riding in the snow. Some days riding in the rain, I feel like I can feel the pads wearing away. So I might make the jump eventually or work it into my next commuter.

mtbr member
    If you like stainless steel, you might like this one:

VO Porteur Rack - Racks & Decaleurs - Accessories

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm not much for stainless, I was checking out the Soma Fab. in matte black. There sure is a price premium over rear racks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Check these out too if you like black:

Products – CETMA Cargo
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy