Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    One Colorful Rider

Pearl Izumi Barrier GTX Winter Cycling Shoe

Now Pearl has a new winter shoe. I like them cause they have more refective on them.

I've been using Lake winter boots since 1998. I really like them and the price is justifiable.

Any one use the pearls yet. And did you have lakes before that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I can't speak for the shoe itself, but in my experience anything with Gore Tex lining is well worth the price, they look pretty warm and I like the reflective strips.

One Colorful Rider
    Thats why I like the Pearls even though I have not tried them yet. But thay came in today.

Clothing manufactors need to make winter clothing more reflective. If your riding in winter chances are you riding in the dark

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    They look really water proof. They don't seem like they'll handle a Wisconsin winter. I've got Lakes for this year so hopefully they can handle it.

What sort of retention mechanism do they have? I really like the Lake's cable thingy.

bicycle dreamer
    I'm ordering a set of these for my Wisconsin commutes. Should be here soon I imagine.

I hope the snow holds off much longer than that, to be honest.
    Moving the soul with two wheels.
    I have a slight cycling addiction.

Now living in Nagoya City, Japan!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've been researching winter mtb shoes, and those Pearl Izumis look interesting. Pity that, according to their website, the maximum size available is 45.5 (about US 11).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by keithmo
    I've been researching winter mtb shoes, and those Pearl Izumis look interesting. Pity that, according to their website, the maximum size available is 45.5 (about US 11).
    That's just a bad move. Winter shoes need to go to like 15 so you can order the largest size available and put a boot liner in them.

Got A Lust for Life...
    The Pearls go to a 48. I've been riding the Barrier for about 4 weeks now in Maine.

The lowest temperate was 32.

I have cold feet regardless, but these are warm. Warmer than the Lakes because the entire inner booty is insulated rather than just the toe box on the Lakes. When it got down to single digits, the Lakes were cold on the rear foot for me. I am happy to have a shoe that is entirely insulated.

The soles differ as the Pearls are not as stiff as the Lakes. I would like to see a stiffer sole. I can feel the sole flex considerably when dropping off or into stuff.

The Pearls are much lighter and definitely less bulky. That is a nice feeling. They feel more like a shoe than a boot.

The lacing is superb with an excellent snug fit around the foot. It is very easy to operate with gloves on. My 07 Lakes had pressure points when very tight. These don't. That and the chance of Boa breakage is nil. I had trouble with the Boa in the past.

The Pearls have a Gore Tex bootie. No more wet feet, period. The Lakes leather is not waterproof unless you use Nixwax or some other brand of waterproofer. Even then, that waterproofer wears out. There is durable treatment out there but I have found they will wet through if you don't stay on top of them. No worries with the Pearls. No muss, no fuss.

Durability is left to question but they seem to be holding up rather well in the rock and root and puddle infested trails I ride.

I liked my Lakes. There is no way I would buy Lakes over the Pearls. If Lake insulated their shoe better and lightened them up a bit, I'd bite.
    I am immune to your disdain.

No, that's not phonetic
    The Shimano MW02 shoes are extremely nice:

My SO and I have been riding these in Kodiak Alaska (wet and chilly coastal Alaska) for a few winters now and they are superb. Way nicer than the Lake winter models or Gaerne Polars I also own. The fit is just brilliant, and they sell for considerably less than the other winter boots go for. Brandscycle.com has them for $160 a pair, and they are gore-tex. They fit wider in the forefoot than most of the other winter shoes (no need to size up for a roomy toe box), and the sizing is quite "accurate" imo.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

One Colorful Rider
    I receiced my Pearls. I got 44's and I'm going to tell you they run small.
    So I wore my 3 year old Lakes today. I think I'll exchange them for 44.5.
    I do like the way they Elastisize tie on inside and Zip on the outside

My 10 year old lakes are 44's and I can wear a pair of Defeet Blaze socks and another pair of lite wool socks if needed.
    My 3 year old lakes are 43's and work with Defeet Blaze socks only.

It was 30 this morning on the way to work sunny and breezy and I saw a big old 16
    point buck and he looked pissed

Other Shoes I wear SH M221 43's, Sidi Action SRS 43's, NIKE Cairns 44's (Made Italy)
    Specialized ProRoad 43's, Nike Poggio 43's (Made Italy)

One Colorful Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by keithmo
    Accually QBP has half sizes up to 45.5 in stock plus 45,47and 48's in stock. 46.5 are going to be available but not in stock as of now

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    yeah, sadly those of us with bigger feet could really use a 50. i wear 47s normally, and think a 48 is going to be too small for at least some of my winter riding, but if these really are super warm, i might be fine with a thin liner, thicker wool sock, and the shoe. otherwise i gotta hope lake still has some 50s in stock.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I like perl gear, but I didnt like the shoes at all. I have not had the GTX ones so these may be ok.
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I just held this shoe today at my LBS. It looks to be built very nice. I have had some good luck with a pair of Enduro Alp-X shoes that I have had for about 9 months and put about 2000mi on. But, the unfortunate thing is that these shoes cost 250.00 bucks...a little too expensive for this guy.

You only have five bikes?
    Mar 2008
    I just can the clipless pedals in the winter and wear my regular boots, but am thinking of switching, as I ride four months in cold weather.
    Burnsey
    Stumpjumper Pro

mtbr member
    I just got these last night for commuting and winter MTB rides. I did my first ride this AM and really liked them. It was 10 degrees F with about 0 to -5 degrees F windchill. I wore one pair of socks underneath and my feet were plenty warm during my 30 minute commute. My feet were warmer than a normal setup of thick socks, standard shoes, and Pearl AmFIB shoe covers. I'll probably add another layer of socks for longer rides or throw shoe covers over the GTX as well if needed.

I recommend buying them one size larger than your EU shoe size. For example, I wear Pearl Izumi shoes normally in a 42 and I ordered the 43 for the GTX. It's a snug fit and would goto a 43.5 if I wanted a couple more layers of socks. Pricey, but cheap compared to Sidis...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by allenpg
    I just got these last night for commuting and winter MTB rides. I did my first ride this AM and really liked them. It was 10 degrees F with about 0 to -5 degrees F windchill. I wore one pair of socks underneath and my feet were plenty warm during my 30 minute commute. My feet were warmer than a normal setup of thick socks, standard shoes, and Pearl AmFIB shoe covers. I'll probably add another layer of socks for longer rides or throw shoe covers over the GTX as well if needed.

I recommend buying them one size larger than your EU shoe size. For example, I wear Pearl Izumi shoes normally in a 42 and I ordered the 43 for the GTX. It's a snug fit and would goto a 43.5 if I wanted a couple more layers of socks. Pricey, but cheap compared to Sidis...
    So I was in one of my LBS' again today and I actually tried a pair of these on even though I really can't afford them anyway. I guess I am a bit of a satomasocist. Anyways, I normally wear a EU 45-46 depending on the brand of cycling shoe. I tried on a 45.5 GTX (the largest size the LBS had in stock) and it was pretty darn tight. I was wearing a pair of mid-weight wool boot socks that fit into my Alp X Enduros with no problems.

Got A Lust for Life...
    They run small. No doubt. One size up at least.

bicycle dreamer
    I wear a 44.5 Bontrager/Sidi/Shimano and need a 45.5 in these to fit comfortable w/a wool sock.

That being said - anyone see the "review" in Cycling this past month? Apparently these shoes are only rated to 20.

I guess riding with toasty warm feet in 6 weather earlier this week w/2 pairs of socks means I'm abnormal with my circulation.

Got A Lust for Life...
    What are the Lakes rate to? It shouldn't be lower than 20.

bicycle dreamer
    "Kick the Cold Away" - Bicycling Magazine page 78, Jan/Feb 2009

Louis G 0 Degree Ergo Grip - 5

Specialized BG Defroster - 32

PI Barrier GTX - 20

Diadora Chili Extreme - 32

No lakes here, which is odd since they've been doing this for a looooong time.

Temperature ratings mean nothing though it seems. My fingers were cold with a set of gloves at 25, but toasty warm at 10. It all depends on your day I guess.

Another Retro Grouch
    Compared to some of us, I'm a puss. My coldest serious riding is all above 0*. The Shimano MW02 work really well, I just wear a single layer normal sock and don't have any issues with cold toes. "Only" $160 shipped from Brands :
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by That Geo Guy
    "Kick the Cold Away" - Bicycling Magazine page 78, Jan/Feb 2009

Louis G 0 Degree Ergo Grip - 5

Specialized BG Defroster - 32

PI Barrier GTX - 20

Diadora Chili Extreme - 32

No lakes here, which is odd since they've been doing this for a looooong time.

Temperature ratings mean nothing though it seems. My fingers were cold with a set of gloves at 25, but toasty warm at 10. It all depends on your day I guess.
    I think the real question is "who is rating them?" If that's the manufacturer's rating, I wouldn't trust it. If its somebody's subjective rating, I wouldn't trust it either. So unless there's some standard for rating these things, treat the temp rating as a "guideline."

I'm still using my normal shoes with defeet socks and AmFib shoe covers... Works ok, but my commute is never more than 40 min, and I haven't done any other winter riding yet...

Got A Lust for Life...
    Last weekend I was out for 4 hours in the Barriers here in Maine. It was 13-17 degrees. My feet got a little cold. I have cold feet to begin with, but they are pretty accurate at 20 I would say. Maybe even 10 if you have warm feet.

I like the look of those Shimanos. What are they insulated with?

I Love my Rize
    I have a pair of Lakes I got last winter MXZ 302-X. I have used them to -20 F with the heaviest weight wool sock I could find (Wigwam Canada model) I bought them 3 sizes to big and it is perfect. Absolutely love the boa system, no pressure anywhere on my feet (the key to warm feet is circulation). I treat them with nicwax every 2 weeks (available at EMS) and they are totally waterproof. I have walked through numerous swamps in water just below the top boot line and they have never leaked. Best winter shoe made if you set it up right.
    Last edited by danoalb; 12-19-2008 at 08:21 AM.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast