mtbr member

pathetically inattentive cyclists

Shoal Creek & 2222 intersection Northbound. Took a spill in this hole. 60 seconds later someone else hit the same spot. Confusing cones and couldn't see it until it was too late. : BikingATX

I made a comment that I think puts this in context. there was nothing confusing about this situation every time I rode past it this week. I don't know how people did not see those holes.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Not sure if inattentive or apathetic is the right word. I see otherwise sound off-road cyclist completely shut down their situational address when they're commuting. Our closest rails-to-trails was blocked by a fallen tree so folks were riding around the tree in a muddy/icy section of trail. It only took 5 minutes to break off enough of the tree to restore one lane and a day later, it took one cut with a saw (12" of log) to clear the whole thing. I can't be the only one with a saw or axe so I assume that folks just don't have time to care about trail maintenance. Same with potholes. A shovel and a little dirt can do wonders, as can moving the cones. To your last comment, they can't see what they're not looking for.

mtbr member
    no one has to be "looking for" dozens of bright orange cones, huge gaping holes in the road, construction workers, tractors, and signs that say "road closed" to see them. that's just plain ignorance.

mtbr member
    this is what the riders who ate it passed before running into those ditches.

this sign:
    pathetically inattentive cyclists-img_3053_zpsbb308f1e.jpg

then this sign:
    pathetically inattentive cyclists-img_3054_zps924a8e1f.jpg

THEN this sign,
    pathetically inattentive cyclists-img_3055_zps0705d633.jpg

you don't see in these photos that was going on at the time of all these accidents was the road crews in bright vests, earth-moving equipment, and rows of cones, but you get the idea.

mtbr member
    Sounds sort of Darwinian. How do you avoid getting hit if you are that uninvolved in your surroundings?
    Last edited by BrianMc; 02-02-2014 at 08:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Just proves once again, that idiocy knows no borders.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

maybe that expensive mistake will encourage those morons to look where they're going in the future.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't think I'm particularly attentive when I'm commuting, but really, that's pretty damn hard to miss. Nobody feels sorry when someone plows into wet concrete in a car... can't imagine feeling any different about something so similar.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    We all got better through the failures of our pasts. If you live through a crash into a well marked construction site or pot hole, you probably get a little more attentive when you ride. Heck, my bike flew off the back of my wife's car at interstate speeds last fall (cost me cables, a der hanger, bar ends and a rear wheel). I should be past that, I've had a bike depart the rack before. Yet there I was, picking another bike up off the pavement. I think we should be supportive of their learning curve. Rush over and see if they're okay, then mumble "dumb-ass" under your breath so the crash really sinks in. Okay I'm probably not adding insult to injury anytime soon, but I'm thinking it. Just like I think that when I crash.

mtbr member
    In fairness, if Austin's transportation department is anything like the transportation department around here, road signs could be up weeks or even months after work is completed. Admittedly, if a new sign shows up it's probably worth taking note. But a lot of roadsigns are worth ignoring a lot of time.

Also, a lot of commuters have 0 technical skills - no hops, or emergency stops with the butt over the rear wheel.
    Last edited by newfangled; 02-02-2014 at 06:47 PM.