Thread: Panniers

mtbr member

Panniers

New to commuting. Riding a cross bike 14 miles each way and have learned the messenger bag is no Bueno. I am wanting to get panniers for shoes,lunch, and probably hitting up the grocery and or liquor store on the way home. Not going on a cross country bike trip but want something decent I won't be looking to replace in a year. What is everyone riding with? I am eying up the Axioms.
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

mtbr member

Panniers

Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    New to commuting. Riding a cross bike 14 miles each way and have learned the messenger bag is no Bueno. I am wanting to get panniers for shoes,lunch, and probably hitting up the grocery and or liquor store on the way home. Not going on a cross country bike trip but want something decent I won't be looking to replace in a year. What is everyone riding with? I am eying up the Axioms.
    I have been very happy with Ortlieb backrollers, they have a ton of space for whatever you need to haul, are waterproof and have a five year warranty, they are also extremely easy to remove from the bike. Their only downside is they are quite expensive, however they should last forever and in my opinion are well worth the price.
    '16 Chameleon
    '18 Farley 5

mtbr member
    I have Back rollers as well. great construction, a ton of room, and as mentioned above they are super easy to put on and off the bike. they are expensive, but you will have them forever...I can carry way more than I'll ever need and have room for a 12, 18, or 24 pack from the Daddy Pop store that is on the way home...

mtbr member
    are y'all rolling with just the classic or the plus or pro? Or can I not go wrong with any? The price isn't outrageous for something that will get daily use and last for years(this is how I justify my bike purchases).

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Another Ortlieb fan. The classic has been working great for me for years.

Guidosan
    Jan 2004
    Okay I got the Axiom Kingston Commuter several years ago and chose this as it fit my budget. (I donít think they make it anymore). Not sure if I can accurately judge this as I havenít used any other brands. But If I had to buy a new bag, I would probably look into the Ortlieb products, and the Backroller looks like a good bag.
    Nothing wrong with the Axiom, it just seems like the Backroller is more durable and better protection from the rain. Also the Ortlieb uses the QL2.1 attachment system that gives more flexibility in adjusting the bagís angle to reduce the chance of having a heel strike.
    You didnít ask, but you may want to see what you can leave at work and not have to transport each day. I have a second pair of shoes and belt I leave at my desk. If you have a shower at work, you can leave the soap and shampoo there too. The less I have to carry, the better.

mtbr member
    I have my own office at work so I leave shoes usually. Also have a shower and bike room in the basement with tools. Denver has a bunch of bike commuters so offices have figured it out. They let me get a RTD pass in lieu of a parking pass. I use it on the colder days and will use it on snow days.

I appreciate everyone's input and am looking into the ortliebs. Are all bike racks pretty much created equal?

mtbr member
    I got these bags for about $180 at the LBS. they also include a shoulder strap so you could just take the bag you need when you ride the bus. (I put clothes and food/laptop on one side, tools and extra stuff on the other)
    https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Back-Roller%20Classic/

Guidosan
    Jan 2004
    I have the racktime addit. The feature that I like is the additional side rail just below the top of the rack. The Pannier attaches to the side rail allowing easier attachment of another bag on top of the rack. It also lowers the center of gravity by just a little bit. Here is a link to the rack just to get an idea of what I am talking about as it seems like it may be moving out of production.

https://clevercycles.com/racktime-addit-rear-rack

If you have cash to burn, you can look at the tubus racks like this: https://www.bikeshophub.com/product/...ck-p-2675.html

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by guidosan View Post
    If you have cash to burn, you can look at the tubus racks like this: https://www.bikeshophub.com/product/...ck-p-2675.html
    I've been commuting since 2013 using a Tubus Airy titanium rack. A complete cash burning indulgence on my part (I would do it again). I have been completely amazed and satisfied at how much weight and abuse this extremely lightweight rack can take.

mtbr member
    haha, well o am saving a ton of money on gas and vehicle wear and tear so I could afford a nice rack I guess..........

mtbr member
    +1 on ortlieb and tubus as well.

I have the tubus logo evo and its working well together with my newer ortlieb office bag.

I also have 20year old ortlieb backrollers and on those its difficult to adjust the lower hook fo fit the rack. On smooth tarmac you dont need that one though so for me its no issue. The newer backrollers seem to be designed to fit the tubus racks nicely though. No wonder here in germany every 2nd cyclist is using that combination and both companies are based close together.

The only thing with the tubus racks is rust. I would strongly recommend to protect the rack from direct contact with the panniers. I myself glued on some old pieces of a camelbak drinking hose. On my old bike I did not do that and the panniers started to rub off the metal. After several years I think the rack would break at those points.

Tubus offers protection foil, no experience with that though. It must be purchased separately but imho should be included.

Very similar panniers are made by VauDe. Furthermore, here in germany you can often get special offers or imitations which might work just as well.

mtbr member
    I checked on ebay but its the same as in germany here: a used pair quickly costs 75% of the retailprice. Currently the Ä/$ xchange rate is not in your favour either at the moment...