Eat More Dirt

Pannier/Messenger do it all bag

I need one bag that I can throw a laptop, text books and gym clothes into and then strap it onto a rack like a pannier. I have to slug this thing around all day and I want to just strap it to my rack when I am on the bike.

This Jandd bag is just about right for what I am looking for . Anybody have any input some other bags to look at?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Better option:
    http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-35.htm
    Jandd kinda a cheap brand. Ortlieb is a great brand. Don't go cheap. Get a nice totally waterproof bag.

Baby Bear is in the house

Knog?

Some of their bags employ a "universal hub" mounting system that allows you to just snap it off a pannier harness and on to a body harness (turning it into a backpack of sorts).

One of the bags that have this is the waterproof Dry Dog.

The Dutch Dog allows you to go rackless.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Eat More Dirt
    That Dry Dog might be the way to go because the pannier system is well concealed so it won't poke you while using it as a backpack, plus it's water proof. Using knog stuff will also give me street cred with the fixie kids

Thanks for the info guys

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Rondswan is kinda cool but no street cred (Google it)

Am interested in a knog as well, let me know what you think if you get it. How long does it take on the knog to take the pannier harness on and off? The advantage of the jandd is that the pannier attachment stays there but just has a flap over it.

Eat More Dirt
    The Knog hub thing looks cool but I know nothing about it, I want to find one in town so I can explore it a little further. I am digging the Knog because there are no hooks or anything to poke you while you use it as a bag.

I'll check out your Rondswan suggestion too, I can put some PBR patches on it to make up the lack of street cred I guess.

viva la v-brakes!
    The bug is my multi-purpose bag of choice. I think they also make one that is more of a shoulder bag.

http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/bac...asp?fl=1&site=
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.