mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Pannier that converts to a satchel??

Hey All

I am looking for a pannier that can be converted easily to a satchel or beg I can carry around Uni. I have seen some stuff on the web but I'm not a big fan of any of them. What do you use and pros/cons?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ortlieb roller. The compression strap is the handle.

dirtbag
    Arkel bug. Has stowable integrated shoulder straps.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Or, something smaller, cheaper...
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...%3A%20Panniers

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Has anyone tried a knog? It looks good but I don't like having to remove the panel with the pannier attachment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by citybiker
    What is the build quality of this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Visit the Jandd site www.jandd.com they make a few briefcase or commuter panniers. One version comes with a weather cover for on the bike and a flap that covers all the mounting hardware so that off the bike nobody would know it was a pannier bag.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    Visit the Jandd site www.jandd.com they make a few briefcase or commuter panniers. One version comes with a weather cover for on the bike and a flap that covers all the mounting hardware so that off the bike nobody would know it was a pannier bag.
    What is the build quality like?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have the Jandd "Commuter Pannier" and really like it. At first it seemed a little too big and bulky, but I've grown to really like it. You can fit a change of clothes, a few school books, lunch etc. Its really convenient to pull off and use as a "normal" shoulder bag, especially if you drop the flap to cover the hooks. Its built very well too, big zippers and thick fabric.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Any chance of a photo or two? Especially one of how it attaches to the rack ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ortlieb roller panniers come with a clip-on shoulder strap, which is plenty good enough to carry around at uni. They have the advantage of being 100% waterproof too.

You can also get a rucksack-converter, which works well, but is very bulky to carry.

Just get ortlieb panniers, and use the shoulder-strap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Does anyone use a big pannier ( like a Jandd grocer one) and then just chuck a satchel inside? For a normal crumpler, what size pannier would you need?

mtbr member
    My commuting bag is the Arkel Utility Basket, which is large enough to hold a full grocery bag and then some. Mine's equipped with the optional laptop pouch. Without that, it would have a single large inside space and a zippered top pocket.

For my uses off the bike, I bring along a clip-on shoulder strap that I had left over from an older laptop bag.

This bag is extremely well constructed, very adjustable for attaching to different racks, and it's guaranteed for life. It's not inexpensive, but I'd recommend it heartily to anybody.