mtbr member
    Mar 2010

OTG ski goggles for commuting in the cold?

A few people here have recommended ski goggles to wear in conjunction with a balaclava. I actually do have a pair, but they have become quite scratched and are difficult to see through. I'm looking for a new pair, but there are some questions and considerations.

1) I wear glasses, so whatever kind of goggles I get, they need to be capable of fitting over them.

2) What colour of lens would you recommend for commuting, or should I just stick with clear? I know that grey is not a good colour - I find it depressing. My commute is in darkness in the mornings, but it can be pretty bright and sunny by the time I'm coming home.

3) Are double lens goggles worth the extra coin, as far as antifogging is concerned?

4) I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on goggles, as they may get damaged stored in my backpack while at work.

What do you folks recommend?

mtbr member
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Smith Products | SmithOptics.com

These will keep you frost free to -36 C.

They come with a bag to prevent scratching.

Double lens are absolute requirement....

Also a nose guard is the last thing that prevents fogging (and frostbite).

Yellow or clear lenses.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Yellow or clear lenses.
    +1 on yellow lenses. For me they reduce glare and increase contrast. Even / especially at night in traffic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Mine are Scott OTG, not sure on the exact model but they go over glasses well without squashing them into my face.

Try to find somewhere you can try different ones out and bring your helmet. I found some helmet/glasses/goggles combos didnt work as well as others.

mtbr member
    I use some dragon DX's a friend gave me. Very comfortable compared to my scotts. I use clear in mine since my commute is on non lighted roads

mtbr member
    I picked up a pair of light yellow double lens super cheap decent name brand ski goggles from TJ Max for like $20 a few years ago
    the upper echelon of mediocrity

mtbr member
    I stopped using a balaclava and use a wool scarf instead. I found there is less fogging with the scarf and the wool keeps the funk away. It's the same set-up I use for backcountry skiing. Scarf tied around face and neck, tucked into jacket; helmet straps on under scarf; goggles over top it all with the scarf under the bottom of goggles. This allows hot air to pass out the side of the goggles and makes fogging a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    SNOW2 Recon Instruments

Come on Christmas.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer View Post
    A few people here have recommended ski goggles to wear in conjunction with a balaclava. I actually do have a pair, but they have become quite scratched and are difficult to see through. I'm looking for a new pair, but there are some questions and considerations.

1) I wear glasses, so whatever kind of goggles I get, they need to be capable of fitting over them.

2) What colour of lens would you recommend for commuting, or should I just stick with clear? I know that grey is not a good colour - I find it depressing. My commute is in darkness in the mornings, but it can be pretty bright and sunny by the time I'm coming home.

3) Are double lens goggles worth the extra coin, as far as antifogging is concerned?

4) I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on goggles, as they may get damaged stored in my backpack while at work.

What do you folks recommend?
    I have some Smith OTG's with the fan in them. They work marvelously. I have a special set of high-contrast amberish lenses that I popped in them and man do they work fantastic! They weren't cheap, but they have been durable and have lasted many seasons. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

I like this place

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions, Zeroghost and Shutter Jim. I think we're getting a bit over budget, though. Mind you, now that I am not working at that job anymore, and I've moved to a ski town, maybe I'll look into those more seriously.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.