mtbr member

Ortlieb Vario Backpack Pannier?

I am starting to get all the stuff for my commuter and I need to get a pannier to hold my stuff for the day. I have about 800ci of stuff I need to bring. I was thinking of getting the Ortlieb Vario Backpack Pannier. I could get a front roller but I think that one may be just a bit to small and I don't want to take two bangs with me. anyone have a Ortlieb Vario?
    2012 FatBack with BFL tires
    2010 Specialized StumpJumper FSR Expert
    2006 Specialized RockHopper

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have the Vario. IMHO its perfect for commuting either as a backpack or pannier.
    The bag itself is fairly long, it comes down to the QR on both of my road bikes one of which has a mountain rack. This may or may not be a problem for you, I didn't have any problems running it on either the drive or non-drive side. I actually appreciate the lower center of gravity and now tend to put the heavier items on the bottom for better stability.
    I would say it could swallow up 800ci with room to spare. Plus you get a sweet waterproof backpack out of the deal.

oh and the 2011 version comes standard with the lower hook strap that got the earlier version mixed reviews.

mtbr member
    hey, thanks for the replay. I got the pack about a mouth ago and it is great! have not had a chance to use it yet, the snow just melted like last week lol. it hold all my stuff as if it was made for it. very happy with the size, I think it is just right. I order the strap and it came with one too, so now I have a spare one if anyone is in need of one.

mtbr member
    also, the backpack part is really good. if I need a water prof back pack I could where this thing all day with out a problem. also, if you don't want the wait of the backpack part (witch is not a lot at all) you can take it off and just have a pannier.