Moderator Moderator

Ordinance Requiring Bike Parking Spaces Considered

Panel proposes bicycle-parking rules for Merced - Local - MercedSun-Star.com

I haven't counted the cars, but I'd guess there are over 1000 parking spots for cars at my work, including lots and a garage, but only about 10 for bikes, all out in the weather.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Panel proposes bicycle-parking rules for Merced - Local - MercedSun-Star.com

I haven't counted the cars, but I'd guess there are over 1000 parking spots for cars at my work, including lots and a garage, but only about 10 for bikes, all out in the weather.
    We had to beg for a bike rack at work. We finally got one at both locations. Still the ratio for bike parking to car parking is still about 1 bike slot for every 100 car spots. There are only about 3 regular bike commuters, so I guess they have it right.

this is a good idea. Where I lived in Texas, most businesses were pretty good about providing bike racks. The grocery store I visited had one, though it was out in BFE and too easy for a thief to swipe a bike unnoticed. At least it was a low-risk city. Most placed I visited had one, but there were notable exceptions. The strip mall that had my favorite burrito joint did not have bike parking. The downtown business district where the yoga studio was located did not have bike parking. The yoga studio was a whole 2mi from my house and I would ride there if there was a spot to lock my bike. I didn't even have a railing to lock to, and I refused to use signposts or lamp poles.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    this is a good idea. Where I lived in Texas, most businesses were pretty good about providing bike racks. The grocery store I visited had one, though it was out in BFE and too easy for a thief to swipe a bike unnoticed. At least it was a low-risk city. Most placed I visited had one, but there were notable exceptions. The strip mall that had my favorite burrito joint did not have bike parking. The downtown business district where the yoga studio was located did not have bike parking. The yoga studio was a whole 2mi from my house and I would ride there if there was a spot to lock my bike. I didn't even have a railing to lock to, and I refused to use signposts or lamp poles.
    The Taco/Margarita bar I go to on Wednesday after work with my wife does not have official bike parking. I usually lock up to one of the parking signs on the side walk next to the bar. This way I can keep an eye on my bike while I have an early dinner and drinks....mostly drinks....

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    The Taco/Margarita bar I go to on Wednesday after work with my wife does not have official bike parking. I usually lock up to one of the parking signs on the side walk next to the bar. This way I can keep an eye on my bike while I have an early dinner and drinks....mostly drinks....
    I see lots of folks locking bikes to signs at the beach. I have also seen thieves bend the sign posts at a 90 degree angle and slide the bikes right off. I live close to some very large shopping centers and not a single one has a bike rack anywhere. I go to the grocery store and I have to lock up to the shopping cart racks. I had a security guard ***** at me for it.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    As much as I love going shopping on my bike as well as commuting to work sans car, I am fundamentally against the government requiring it. Vote with your feet, and if you shop at Target because WalMart doesn't have racks, be sure to let WalMart know. Unfortunately in my area, we need to work more on getting enough cyclists to even make racks at the stores necessary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    I go to the grocery store and I have to lock up to the shopping cart racks. I had a security guard ***** at me for it.
    Lucky none approached me about doing that! If the lack of a sign saying I can't or a safe lockup would not get him to back off, then I would ask him to come with me as we meet the store manager to straighten it out. My bet is the guard would back off fast. Sounds like a person too full of him or herself to me.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here is the ordinance we recently passed. I wrote the original wording and sent it through our Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Commission. Then it went to the Plan Commission (because they will be enforcing it and it is a courtesy), and finally through City Council where it passed 10-1.

http://www.ci.eau-claire.wi.us/modul...ocumentid=1554

It's a process since it isn't retroactive, but maybe in a few years we can consider another one that will make it so.