mtbr member

Orbital Ring Roundabout

New cyclist-friendly junction layouts being trialled | Latest News | Cycling Weekly

The description doesn't sound so safe to me, but maybe I am not picturing it right.

mtbr member
    ^^ The design assumes that vehicular traffic will see the cyclists and if so, will actually yield. I suspect some serious fines/sentences/license suspensions and the video surveillance to nail them will be needed to get drivers to realize they are in deep doodoo if they screw it up. It keeps the cyclists in an expected place and not eclipsed by other vehicles in the round about. Trucks moving over and running over a cyclist in normal roundabouts have killed at least one bike safety expert. At the level of 3800 cyclists and hour, It might be hard for drivers to find a break in the stream of cyclists. I'll give them an 'A' for effort but will withhold a final grade until it is tested in the real world.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    With video....

London Cycling Campaign

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No way. Every rider in that video shows an immense amount of faith in the drivers, riding out into the crossings without so much as pausing to look. Also the whole system breaks down when people ride the path on the wrong side of the road. And how many times do you see actual, separate bicycle lanes in both directions like that, come to think of it?

I'm with Sanath. No way that sort of thing is going to work well in a place where drivers have demonstrated that they don't care about bicyclists. There were no signs indicating to drivers that they must yield to bicycle traffic. An absolute necessity if you're going to plop ONE of these things into an area to replace an existing intersection. You'd have to have these all over the place so that drivers could be used to them before I could really see them working well. Putting a regular roundabout into an area without them poses enough of a problem that adding rings of bike lanes around them would cause a lot of meltdowns.

Roundabouts are becoming more commonplace where I live, mostly in more affluent suburbs. I can manage them on a bike pretty well, actually. My only challenge is that I'm on a SS and therefore picking up speed quickly to enter the flow of traffic when it's busy is tough. For that reason, I think I'm going to go 1x9 or 1x10. Some of these areas have segregated bike paths along the road, but they are generally only on one side of the road, accommodate two-way traffic, and worse, are not continuous so they're not useful at all to a commuter actually going somewhere. They usually come out of a neighborhood, go around the block, and reenter the neighborhood.

If you already have a good system of bike paths, adding this ring component might not be such a huge challenge, but I think it's quite a huge change for a lot of folks.

mtbr member
    Yeah, watching the drivers in that video it's clear that they don't consider the outer ring an actual part of the roundabout. When entering the roundabout they don't start to yield or decelerate until they've driven through the outer ring. And when traffic backs up, vehicles merrily sit blocking the outer ring.

mtbr member
    I have found drivers very poor at estimating a cyclist's speed and there appears to be a 5-20 mph range of cyclist speeds here. Also some drivers are preparing to yield when the cyclist exits the ring. A signal would be courteous in a situation where you want as much good will as you can get. I stand by the camera surveillance and heavy enforcement to get it to work. Difficult to make it a phase-in so drivers could get used to it, too. A few cyclists are looking both ways but most seem oblivious and not riding defensively enough.

BrianMc