mtbr member

opinions on Nashbar panniers

The one they keep advertising for $24.99. Anyone using one? How sturdy is it? Is the material long-lasting or cheap nylon that disintegrates in the sun?
    How securely does it mount to the rack?

Thinking about getting it to replace the heavy Wald folding basket on my grocery-getter/commuter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had their "Day Trekker" saddlebags that I used for beater bags on my old bike and they lasted me about 7 years of regular use. They've faded quite a bit but they haven't ripped and are still plenty sturdy so I passed them on to a buddy that's just starting out in cycling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Post #355 in "What have you some to your commuter today"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    The one they keep advertising for $24.99. Anyone using one? How sturdy is it? Is the material long-lasting or cheap nylon that disintegrates in the sun?
    How securely does it mount to the rack?

Thinking about getting it to replace the heavy Wald folding basket on my grocery-getter/commuter.
    I bought the same cheap set last summer. They hold more than I thought they would and they hold it securely strapped to my rack. The nylon feels durable, the drawstring and buckles secure their cargo well. I'm not sure how good the stitching is or say how long they'll hold up, but so far so good. Definitely worth that minor investment.

mtbr member
    Ended up getting the Axiom Appalachian, which is similar in size and design for about the same price on Amazon, maybe a bit cheaper when you add tax and shipping fees. I have an Axiom Town and Country detachable pannier for my super commuter (Cannondale Bad Boy 5), and it's pretty well made with durable material, so I figured that the Appalachian might be of the same cut. I intend to keep the panniers attached to the rack at all times, so quick removal wasn't a deciding factor in the purchase. Can't wait to get it in the mail.

mtbr member
    Installed the Axiom Appalachian panniers. Very nice and way lighter than the single Wald folding basket I was using. One thing I don't like about it is the velcro strips for attaching to the rack. They're too short and I just did away with them. Instead I cut up a couple of aluminum hangers and with some zip ties secured the pannier to the rack top. So now the panniers won't slide and it's an anti-theft setup too.

opinions on Nashbar panniers-img_20140411_163354.jpg
    opinions on Nashbar panniers-img_20140411_163417.jpg