mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Now I'm Feeling Blue

But in a good way.
    DSC00863.JPG
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Cool blue. But it's a little hard ttell what I am looking at. Can you explain?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This should help.

DSC00829.JPG

bi-winning
    Dude, it's like a pickup tru..., I mean, bike.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    ..., I mean, bike.
    It's not a bike, has motor and gas tank. Moped perhaps?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Pursuiter or Purist?

Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    It's not a bike, has motor and gas tank. Moped perhaps?
    Nope, a bike. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorized_bicycle

These types of bikes are fully capable of pedaling without motor assist and I do that quite often actually. Makes for a quick workout due to the extra weight but it is surprisingly efficient and this genre is going to get more so as time goes on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Around here blue lights are supposed to be only for emergency vehicles. It sucks because they get noticed very well. I hope you don't catch any flak.

Cool bike, though. A local lumber place has a guy that does deliveries on a similar machine...but I think his is strictly pedal powered.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak
    Around here blue lights are supposed to be only for emergency vehicles. It sucks because they get noticed very well. I hope you don't catch any flak.

Cool bike, though. A local lumber place has a guy that does deliveries on a similar machine...but I think his is strictly pedal powered.
    I believe that the difference for emergency purposes is that they are flashing whereas mine do not, unless I choose to hook up the sink to music feature anyway.....

You get a couple hundred pounds of dead weight on a cargo bike and several stop signs and a few hills and you will be glad for the motorassist, believe me.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak
    Around here, blue is for snow removal.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Around here, blue is for snow removal.
    I guess a MA Pugsley could handle a little V plow?

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by MABman
    ...These types of bikes are fully capable of pedaling without motor assist....
    the Puch mopeds we sold in the 70s had pedals. Here in Illinois it's a moped.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    the Puch mopeds we sold in the 70s had pedals. Here in Illinois it's a moped.
    Let me outline it for you because I think you skipped the link:

"Motorized bicycles are distinguished from motorcycles by being capable of being powered by pedals alone if required. The actual usage of the pedals varies widely according to the type of vehicle. Those known as mopeds mostly have pedals for emergency use or because of legal requirements and these are not normally used."

And I might add that if the pedals are used on a moped it is less than efficient. This motor assist bike and the others like it currently and those to follow however are efficient enough to get around on just fine, albeit a bit on the heavy side but you get a nice workout, via pedaling as it still uses a standard gearing format. Those PUCH mopeds you are familiar with were turds to pedal and were single speed to boot which is why they are in the Moped class, a different animal in the eyes of the Federal Regulations, states nomenclature varies widely and Illinois law is particularly muddy. But there are 49 other states and most agree that 49cc- and 30 mph max speed define fuel motor assist bicycles. Electric assist bicycles are usually 1000w (-) and 20 mph.

I realize that the bike industry and its minions are slow to accept change from within. I have gone through two major bike industry upheavals in my lifetime, MTB's and 29"ers. Both I thought were great ideas as soon as I heard of them (1983 and 1999 respectively) and I adopted them right away. This concept is the third upheaval. Believe me. Accept it or not, it is coming, and you haven't seen anything yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Blue Man Bike?

Kicked it up a notch.
    DSC00865.JPG

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice motorized bike. I love the cab in the back.

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    That's so cool.
    I'd use one of those for commuting/hauling home my groceries/home depot stops/carrying mtn bike to trails/maybe even train a (small) dog to ride along.
    I love utility bikes. Always wanted an ANT delivery bike or a Big Dummy, but 25miles from home, carrying 40lbs of stuff uphill, I'll take the motor assist. It beats driving a car.
    How much does something like that cost, if you don't mind?
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

Another Retro Grouch
    ....This concept is the third upheaval. Believe me. Accept it or not, it is coming, and you haven't seen anything yet.
    The reason I ride my bike is to escape the noise and pollution associated with motors (gas or electric). If this gets people out of cars, great. If it replaces pedalers, very sad. I'd like to see more people in the US riding and getting fit, not claiming they're riders when they're not....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The reason I ride my bike is to escape the noise and pollution associated with motors (gas or electric). If this gets people out of cars, great. If it replaces pedalers, very sad. I'd like to see more people in the US riding and getting fit, not claiming they're riders when they're not....
    Or claiming that others are not riders and they are the only ones that are? Wow, you must only mtn. bike on pristine trails in peaceful outlying areas to be able to escape noise and pollution, I am jealous...You are certainly entitled to your opinions pursuiter, all of us are. However try and broaden your scope of reason a bit and think outside of your obviously well defined box?

I have experienced your type of attitude before at the advent of Mtn. Biking and after the birth of the 29" wheel. I think that when freewheels came in to play there were folks that thought that fixed gear was irreplaceable. The outcome is that change will happen and whether or not if fits in to your little bubble, well let's talk again in say 5 years? If it takes that long.

Until then.
    MABman

weirdo
    New ideas are plenty cool until they start crowding out whatever came before. When that happens, you still have only one possibility- the "new" way only instead of the "old" way only. Usually, that happens gradually. Before the "old" idea becomes completely obsolete and unobtainable, it gets bounced into the specialty category for a spell- you can still get it, but not in as many varieties, the price goes up, and you probably have to special order it. Examples: slide film, quality mtb frames with canti bosses, yellow grapefruit, cars without air conditioning or electric door locks. Sometimes, the "old" never goes completely out or lingers for a long time as a not-too-hard-to-find thing and consumers get an option- perfect! Examples: bar end and downtube shifters, steel frames, B&W print film, LP records.

I don`t hink we need to worry about motor assisted bicycles bumping out our pedal only models. It`s always good to have that option.

Another Retro Grouch
    I have experienced your type of attitude before at the advent of Mtn. Biking and after the birth of the 29" wheel. I think that when freewheels came in to play there were folks that thought that fixed gear was irreplaceable. The outcome is that change will happen and whether or not if fits in to your little bubble, well let's talk again in say 5 years? If it takes that long.
    LOL, it's not a new idea to put a motor on a bike....and making up stories about you and the brave inventor of freewheels is a little over the top

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah and putting them behind bikes is not a new idea either.
    Bernadi Motor Attachment-Trailer 1893.jpg

Can't say I knew Mr. Van Anden, he was a little before my time. It is interesting to note that although he patented the freewheel in 1869 it wasn't manufactured and marketed until Sachs did it 33 years later.

But I did have an ATB in 1983 and 29" wheels in 1999 and was the first person to post on emptybeer about them, 29" wheels that is:>)). Got alot of flak for that also! I am primarily a mtn. biker that when forced to ride on surface streets in the noise and pollution prefers to play on a more level playing field, yet still be able to pedal efficiently.

I have to apologize I guess for posting about this type of activity here in the Commuter forum but when I asked Francis at Interbike to start up a MAB section here he said to use this one for awhile first. So sorry in advance to those that it upsets, I suggest putting me on ignore.
    Last edited by MABman; 12-07-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Another Retro Grouch
    ..So sorry in advance to those that it upsets, I suggest putting me on ignore.
    I'm not upset, I just find your pretentious, "brave inventor" act kinda funny. Putting a motor on a bike isn't new, the Wright Bros did it for a living. Lots of us had ATBs in 1983, I had 18 spoke wheels at the 78 Nationals, so what.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm not upset, I just find your pretentious, "brave inventor" act kinda funny. Putting a motor on a bike isn't new, the Wright Bros did it for a living. Lots of us had ATBs in 1983, I had 18 spoke wheels at the 78 Nationals, so what.
    You win.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lobolator
    That's so cool.
    I'd use one of those for commuting/hauling home my groceries/home depot stops/carrying mtn bike to trails/maybe even train a (small) dog to ride along.
    I love utility bikes. Always wanted an ANT delivery bike or a Big Dummy, but 25miles from home, carrying 40lbs of stuff uphill, I'll take the motor assist. It beats driving a car.
    How much does something like that cost, if you don't mind?

Hey lobolator, I don't like this new format where your posts get inserted in between others? Anyway the answer to your cost question is not yet clear at this time. This bike is a mock up idea cruncher launching pad prototype that actually any brave inventor type with some garage skills could put together with a $150 Chinese Honda knockoff engine some old bike frames, a little help from Northern Hydraulics and the necessary stuff like wheels and drivetrain etc. which all came from the spare parts bin. There is even a Campy Euclid thumbshifter running a 6 spd. freewheel in conjunction with an old XT der.. Oh yeah and a torch and some brass rod and a hacksaw and maybe a holesaw. Anyway that is how this one came to be.

At this time the only motor assist cargo bikes for sale are from Clever Chimp in Portland, OR and they are electric models. I think they go for quite a bit, at least I know this Sycip version that showed at NAHBS a couple of years back which is similar had a $7500 price tag?
    1.jpg
    A guy here in town has one and we were comparing notes in front of the Coop awhile back but I forgot to ask him how much he had in to it. It was a nice bike with an Xtra cycle setup though so I know that had to be over a grand to begin with? The big thing with electric is the batteries to get the kind of range you need would be about $1500 themselves so that is why we are going with gas at this point. 150 mpg + is not a bad thing.

But you could do something more along these lines for substantially less.
    Picture 005.jpg
    Talk about a brave inventor

However someone that had the initiative could buy a Kona Ute which is the low cost leader in the long bike marketplace currently and some form of off the shelf motor setup of which there are plenty around, cause we all know that putting a motor on a bike has been done before!

weirdo
    I have to apologize I guess for posting about this type of activity here in the Commuter forum but when I asked Francis at Interbike to start up a MAB section here he said to use this one for awhile first.
    Not to run you off, because I find your contraptions interresting, but there is a fairly well frequented forum with a stock of readers who are doing similar stuff here:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=258
    Maybe you already knew about it, maybe not.

EDIT: Whoa! Not exactly warm and fuzzy towards MABs over there, huh? I see you`ve already been that route. Sorry- I`d cruised it a little in the past, but never noticed your posts or the animosity.
    Last edited by rodar y rodar; 12-08-2008 at 07:55 AM.

jrm
    mtbr member

Nascar

Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast