blet drive

Novara belt drive ???

Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Novara belt drive ???

Which bit? The belt drive or one of the two bikes?

For what it's worth, I really like the Gates Belt Drive, but it is a pain in the rear if you get a flat on the road... the belt isn't happy with the tension being close to where it needs to be, it needs to be calibrated (with a tool or, to the company's credit, a free app) or you run the risk of throwing the belt/breaking stands in it.

That said, belts last a lot longer than chains, and never need lubricating. Get a pair of good, flat protective tires, or tubeless rims/tires/sealant, and there really aren't any negatives.

blet drive
    I like belt drive own a buch. Was thinking more of the 2 bikes.

mtbr member
    I saw a Gotham and a Barrow up close today. I could not get to an Arkham yet. The Gotham is super cool. lightweight for what it is but the NuVinci hub puts the price tag way out there at $1400. Still a rad bike. I am glad they went alu on those frames because the old steel ones were BEASTLY.

The Arkham looks like a more reasonably priced version of the Gotham, but I don't know about that SRAM hub. the hydro brakes on the Gotham might be a bit overkill and the NuVinci hub is really cool but seems awful pricey for a city bike. for with either of those bikes, make sure the techs in the shop have greased the eccentric bottom bracket, because they come out of the box dry.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Which bit? The belt drive or one of the two bikes?

For what it's worth, I really like the Gates Belt Drive, but it is a pain in the rear if you get a flat on the road... the belt isn't happy with the tension being close to where it needs to be, it needs to be calibrated (with a tool or, to the company's credit, a free app) or you run the risk of throwing the belt/breaking stands in it.

That said, belts last a lot longer than chains, and never need lubricating. Get a pair of good, flat protective tires, or tubeless rims/tires/sealant, and there really aren't any negatives.
    IMO tensioning is one of the biggest problems with belts, although the frame split is high on the list. I used to be really anal about getting the tension right, even bought that joke of a tool they sell, but now I just treat them kinda like a chain and call it a day. Other then one snapped belt everything has been fine.

I would like to try the app but it isn't that free if you have to buy a new phone .

blet drive
    the gates belt app works really well if you have an i phone..i am thinking this bike or the new spec awol. I had the civia Bryant set up with the internal hub and a belt. would like to go back to belt drive for my commuter again.