Moderator Moderator

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Always nice to see Bikesnobnyc rip somebody a new one: Bike Snob NYC: Now Is The Winter Of Our Disco Tent.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Ahh, that explains it! Thanks.

mtbr member
    If the road conditions are too dangerous to travel by bicycle or walking, they are certainly too dangerous for motor vehicle traffic. All motor vehicle traffic should be banned during inclement weather, as driving on slick roads poses a danger to anyone in proximity to those roads. This is a matter of physics and cannot be refuted. More mass, plus more velocity, equals greater kinetic energy: more potential damage.

Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    If the road conditions are too dangerous to travel by bicycle or walking, they are certainly too dangerous for motor vehicle traffic. All motor vehicle traffic should be banned during inclement weather, as driving on slick roads poses a danger to anyone in proximity to those roads. This is a matter of physics and cannot be refuted. More mass, plus more velocity, equals greater kinetic energy: more potential damage.
    which is why my area was under travel restrictions - so the plow crews could work on the crappy roads and emergency vehicles and power crews could get where they needed to go unimpeded

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Such idiocy is even found in the bikelandia of Madison WI. "The bicyclists who braved the week's second storm should be taken out and shot. Spare them and the poor driver, when they skid on treacherous streets and slide under the wheels of a truck delivering fresh vegetables." This came Paul Soglin in 2007, who is now Madison's mayor (who, being mayor back in the 80's as well, can not blame his comments on youthful indiscretion).

Apparently it is the bicyclist's fault if a car runs them over, because operation of a car is more important than safety for everyone who has a legal right to the road. I get that emergency vehicles, salt trucks, etc should get "first rights" to the road, so to speak. But after that, safety for all road users trumps any individual road user's ability to get from point a to b in the minimum time.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This cuts to the heart of cycling laws

If the law says you have to ride on the road (sidewalk illegal) then the cars have to suck it up and let you ride safe....ie grab the lane...

If the law allows cycling on the sidewalks and the road then often you are gonna be on the sidewalk when snow hits....

Around here when the snow hits you often get the pedesrtians walk on the road...cause the snow isn't has deep....certainly not on the higher speed roads....you just don't go anywhere near them in any case.

Basically everyone is really good for the first day or so...then the get tried of driving nice....and go back to thier old bad habits...compounded with ice....I pay real close attention on those days.

Feeling retro..but Jung
    I rode my bike up there during the winter when I was stationed at Ft. Drum..just put on studs and head to the bar
    I mean if there were jobs then we wouldn't be on the dole then maybe we'd be singing about love and kissing-Joe Strummer