pain don't hurt

Not ALL drivers are jerks!

On my commute home yesterday, I was stopped at a red light waiting on the right side of the road in the shoulder that most cars use as a right-turn lane. Just as I was wondering whether or not the car behind me was going to start honking (as they usually do), a driver creeped up on my left in the regular traffic lane. He was driving a nice looking, newer 4Runner and yells out the passenger window to me, "You've got the right idea!" and gave me the thumbs up.

I thought it was very cool that he, in his rather expensive SUV (by my standards) was actually envious of me!

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Like catnip for people
    that's cool

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've noticed I get less sh!t this summer. Usually once the weather gets warm and the windows go down drivers yell at me. With the price of gas so high, I think a lot of drivers see some sort of compassion for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    I've noticed I get less sh!t this summer. Usually once the weather gets warm and the windows go down drivers yell at me. With the price of gas so high, I think a lot of drivers see some sort of compassion for me.
    Actually,they proably have compassion for their pockets when they fill up! & now their thinking that your proably a millionare saving all that money.
    Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
    --Arthur Ashe

I'm SUCH a square....
    I wish the jackhole that buzzed me today with the bellowing from the half-open window had gas-price concerns -- he was driving a full-size black pickup at a seriously reckless speed! Of course, I let him know I thought he was 'number one'...hoped he'd catch a light, but he was gone.

On the brighter side, a couple winters ago, I was rolling to work on a cold, somewhat slick Sunday morning, with my taillight on (about dawn), and a lady in a car pulled alongside and called out, "I'm glad you got that light! That's a good idea!"
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The other day someone slowed down to wave at me and the person behind her got rear ended. I thought that was pretty bad. I live in a small city and the people are so nice. The only problem is they are not use to bikes, but getting better every year. I get waved by alot at stop signs, 4-way ones and other wise. They don't try making making right turns in front of me. I usually get plenty of room. When people honk i actually believe they are warning me of a car coming. They mostly slow down when they pass, Its kinda bazarre. The strangist thing is that i have friends that have been pulled over for not riding on the sidewalk. They are even expanding the main strips in town and making a bike path. In the summer heat when i take off the shirt though, I get the best encouragement for riding to work.

mtbr member
    I actually had a guy roll down his car window today (I was stopped in the middle lane and he was in the right-turn lane) and tell me he envied me. He said he couldn't ride his bike to work because he is a carpenter and needs to carry his tools with him.

It does feel good to leave the car in the garage a couple times a week.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN
    It does feel good to leave the car in the garage a couple times a week.
    It's so much better to sell it.

Mud lover
    Mar 2007
    Just as I was wondering whether or not the car behind me was going to start honking (as they usually do), a driver creeped up on my left in the regular traffic lane. He was driving a nice looking, newer 4Runner and yells out the passenger window to me, "You've got the right idea!" and gave me the thumbs up.
    Yeah, but he was probably a cyclist, but was just driving his car that day!

"Tragically Flawed"

Rural North Georgia

Riding the back roads today up where the hills start. Stopped about halfway up a loooong grade to have a drink. Heard a loud pickup truck coming up the grade, old and kind of beat up. It slowed beside me and I began to get that "Oh $hit" feeling.

The driver stopped, leaned over, and asked if I was OK! I told him I had just stopped for a rest, and thanked him for stopping.

The second half of the climb wasn't nearly as hard as the first.

Mark
    Dec 2007
    Anybody consider recording video of EVERY commute?
    Seems that this record might turn out to be very valuable in the future.

Trust me, my wife's lawyer will have much better luck in court with such a record...

Maybe someday we will simply have to put "fake" cameras on the top of our helmets to prevent agro drivers for acting so...
    ===============

Mark

mtbr member
    I flatted on the way home last night and two cars stopped to offer assistance, I too have seen a change in attitude in the last few months...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've had quite a few drivers let me pass before they've turned and given me wide berth when they pass me.
    It's nice to see that there are some cool folks left!