mtbr member

No seam Balaclava?

Commuted first time with the old Balaclava, almost four hours after taking it off I sit here at my desk with a SEAM line across my forehead. Don't I look goofy. Everyone looking at me like I'm an alien.

So...anyone have a good Balaclava on the market with no seam around the face opening?
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

I Ride for Donuts
    I have an REI brand one that is nice and thin, no seam at the forehead, and doesn't leave a mark... however I also wear a really thin beanie under the 'clava, to keep my hair in check (impossible to put the clava on without shifting it around and messing with the hair, even though my hair is short. So I do the beanie for hair control, and the 'clava over the top...both are very thin fabrid (I like a really thin clava, feels like it still keeps me warm and doesn't hold moisture or overheat).

So maybe double up on the headgear to avoid the alien face?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I'd love to help, but my balaclava actually reduces my forehead goofiness. In the summer my helmet padding leaves lines that are much goofier. Anyone have advice for that?

Moderator Moderator
    A friend recommended a wool Buff, and I finally bought one and tried it out today, as an alternative to my fleece neck thingy. Combined with a wool cap, it was very comfy. Pull down for uphills, and up for the downhills. I got mine local, but they are also found at REI, EMS, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My balaclava has a thick seam across the forehead that forms the hole...

A light seam goes up and over the head to sew the two halves together...

The thick seam sticks out a bit so it will overlap the goggles...

Turtle fur is the brand....

really sound like may be yours is too small.

mtbr member
    I am a chrome dome...so no worries on hair.

I am re-thinking on that last post jeffscott. My head is huge and I feel like I'm stuffing a sausage trying to get it into this balaclava. "One Size Fits All" never applies to my noggin. I think I'll hit some shops and try some on, pretty sure I bought mine on-line years ago but never used it that much as a Mountain Biker. I really need one that fits right and doesn't leave me looking silly for work as I'm a full time commuter now.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    I am a chrome dome...so no worries on hair.

I am re-thinking on that last post jeffscott. My head is huge and I feel like I'm stuffing a sausage trying to get it into this balaclava. "One Size Fits All" never applies to my noggin. I think I'll hit some shops and try some on, pretty sure I bought mine on-line years ago but never used it that much as a Mountain Biker. I really need one that fits right and doesn't leave me looking silly for work as I'm a full time commuter now.
    A balaclava should fit rather loose...that way you can pull it out of the helmet where you want it to cover something.....or just leave it inside the helmet otherwise...

As it get colder I pull the check and chin cover further out...when it is really cold I pull everything out except a breathing hole to seal my face in...

Remember I have a nose guard on my goggles that protects the nose and some of the cheeks as well. That forms the breath hole.

mtbr member
    I really really want to wear one of these...unfortunately it does not look very warm, nor comfortable...and no neck coverage.

Amazon.com: MEXICANO Adult Lucha Libre Wrestling Mask (pro-fit) Costume Wear - Blue: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    ^ but think about all the seams!

I Ride for Donuts
    That mask would be sick!!! You could wear a flowing scarf or something with it for neck protection

My clava fits loose enough to move around easily... the only thing that could cause a seam to leave a mark is if the helmet was pressing it into my head. You sound like you're putting on a wetsuit hood

A little bit of space in there is what helps it be warm also... it allows your breath to circulate between the clava and your skin.

I pull the entire face opening of mine down below my chin when it's not too cold, so my whole face is exposed and it's basically just covering my neck and head. I wear it up to my nose when it's colder. I use glasses and not goggles, and I put them on the outside of the clava...seems to help wtih fogging.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I second the suggestion of a merino wool buff. I'll never go back to a traditional balaclava.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just picked up a buff as well. I wouldn't think of pulling out my 'clava unless it drops below 15F, or so.

weirdo
    I just went to check my `clava to see if it had a seem (it does), which should be indicative of how much it bothers me. Do they dig into anybody else? I think you`re right about the mellon syndrome, bCO. One thing that might help is to find the biggest you can and stick with it for a while to see if it stretches out some. Not long after I bought mine, my wife requested one since she liked it also, and I bought another for her- same brand, same model, same (one fits all) size. Initially, they were identical, but they aren`t any more. A few occasions over the past year or two I`ve worn hers and it`s so tight that it hurts. I think mine has stretched out, but I guess it could also be that hers has shrunken somewhat from sitting in the closet. Atrophy?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Another recommendation here for a wool buff. Never smells.
    It's long enough to be doubled into itself and pulled over my head.
    I'm able to breathe OK through it when pulled over my nose and mouth.
    I have to pull it down off my nose and mouth at the stops though so my eyewear doesn't fog up.