Moderator Moderator

No Ride-Through Service at Walgreens

mtbr member
    many fast food places will refuse cyclists; banks have most consistently given me trouble.

I have successfully used the drive-thru for the water company on my bike.

I once tried to walk-thru a drive-thru because I was in a big 15 passenger van that wouldn't fit through the drive-thru. We were refused. Something stupid about tripping a sensor or something and the computer system wouldn't activate.

My bank doesn't have local branches, so I can't address that one.

mtbr member
    I worked at a Wendy's downtown near our big state university. We were told to refuse walkers/bikers in the drive thru area simply because they stated it was a safety hazard. Vehicles are expected there but people standing or standing over a bike are not and therefore would be more likely to get hit or backed into. So we were to state simply "This is a drive thru, not a walk thru or a ride thru, please come inside and order if you are not in a motor vehicle."
    I call it "********" but whatever....company policy probably just to try to cut down on drunken college student faux orders after the lobby closed. Because really, that was when we had the most issues with walkers/bikers in the drive thru.
    Ironically, I was carfree at that time! Go figure!

mtbr member
    Definitely looks like an anti-lawsuit move to me. Although all it'll take is minority lawyer, with a chip on his/her/it's(for the L/G/TV/TS community) shoulder, on a bike in a hurry to get refused, then the party gets started!
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

weirdo
    I`ve used drive a through ATM many times on my bike. It`s very rare that I use any other drive through anythings, and don`t think I`ve ever tried on a bike or on foot. I guess it actually makes more sense that way though because I hate idling my engine or starting it multiple times.
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    I have hit the starbucks drive through with no issues. They were stoked about it. There were no cars, so I just rolled right up to the window and ordered. I wouldn't doubt if there is a corporate policy against it though. Gotta protect us from ourselves.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Starbucks is no surprise. Caffeine pushers won't let anything come between them and a buck (except a decent cup of coffee, I hate how Starbucks coffee tastes).
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

I Ride for Donuts
    Now that I think about it, I hit a Dutch Brothers drive through on the touring bike with trailer when I was up in Oregon... no issues there either. Caffeine pushers... you might be on to something there.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I've used a bank drive through with no questions. I've always wondered how being stopped at a drive through, where cars go about 5mph, could be more unsafe than being stopped in the middle of a 55mph road waiting for traffic to take a left turn which is totally legal.

mtbr member
    You're trying to make logical sense of corporate policies for (most likely) legal protection. You got a better chance of buying the Necrocomicon on Amazon.com hard to find and out of print service.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i rode through the walgreens here. but, over here, there are very few bikers, so nobody ever even bothered to train the employees on that policy, i bet.

mtbr member
    Bank? No problem. On bike. On foot. Or bike taken into the lobby. Maybe size and age is a factor.

I would have dismounted and said, OK now I am a pedestrian, let's get this done...

I wonder about motorcycles.

I haven't found Pharmacy drive throughs much faster, so no big deal. I'd walk the bike in or go to CVS. I suppose they are protecting against an insurance scam my a cyclist and driver who has no insurance so the pharmacy is the deep pockets, in that case. Seems like there would be a better way to deal with that.

BrianMc

I'm SUCH a square....
    Never needed to use Walgreens' drive-thru; Arby's/Wendy's/McD's/BK, all the same, no service. Their corporate dance is "safety"....

My former bank (whose mortgage side holds my note, so I still deal with them) is mixed about it. Two local branches are OK with bikes in the drive-thru, but the downtown main ISN'T (although they DID tell me I could bring the bike in the lobby....).

I'M more concerned about the traffic signal loops -- 2+ bikes will set them off, 1 won't, and I commute alone.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler View Post
    Never needed to use Walgreens' drive-thru; Arby's/Wendy's/McD's/BK, all the same, no service. Their corporate dance is "safety"....

My former bank (whose mortgage side holds my note, so I still deal with them) is mixed about it. Two local branches are OK with bikes in the drive-thru, but the downtown main ISN'T (although they DID tell me I could bring the bike in the lobby....).

I'M more concerned about the traffic signal loops -- 2+ bikes will set them off, 1 won't, and I commute alone.
    I have had luck most of the time using the technique to hold my bike over the curbside front portion of the loop to get them to trip. I have had issues with some I cannot see, however.

Bicycling - Traffic signal actuators that do not work for bicyclists: technical and legal issues

How to Trigger Green Traffic Lights (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Traffic Light Trigger for your Bike

Stokeless Asshat
    Yep.
    Private property and liability insurance.
    My bank is cool with it but I live in a very bike friendly town.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ive went through CVS Pharmacy drive through to pick up scrips. I would ride from home, hit single track, pick up my meds, hit the single track then back home. I dont remember them giving any grief over riding through.
    ACCESS Stealth 3.0 carbon 29'er
    GT-R Pro
    Surly 1x1
    Surly Disc Trucker

Moderator Moderator
    You're now welcome at Walgreens everywhere:

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news...sometimes-both

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    ^ A whole lot of stupid also a factor there.