Moderator Moderator

No ID cyclist...

...in hospital for 3 days. Nurse cycist helps track down who he is through bike serial number. JPS nurse refused to give up until a badly injured cyclist was identified | Fort Worth |...

mtbr member
    Wow, that is a very sad story, but at least it also had happy parts. Good for that nurse.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I've usually got my ID on me but I also wear my "Toe Tag". Well, that's not how Road ID markets them...

mtbr member
    Good for that nurse.

I don't usually carry my wallet or ID, but I always have my cell phone. I figure if something ever happens they can ID me through that, either by calling one of my emergency contacts or checking the number.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    ^^^if your phone survives the crash, that is, or they can find it in the carnage. But I get ya

I wear a RoadID wristband with my info on it. I never take it off but then I am always biking or running nearly everyday anyways, so why take it off? Now, it would help if one of my contacts(mom!) would answer her got dam phone! I should have listed someone else as my secondary contact but other than that, I like it and it doesn't bug me to wear it.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Unconscious after my spill, my phone alarm for my next dose went off so they found my phone quite easily and called the better half asking what to do with the road litter.

I carry my wallet, too. I have enough 'spare tire' still that the wallet isn't a big weight penalty.

Moderator Moderator
    My sister shared her "ICE" numbers with me in an email, , which I had not heard of. Apparently emergency folks know to check the contact list in your phone for ICE (in case of emergency), along with "home", "mom", "favorites", etc. It can't hurt.

I have a road ID also, although I sometimes tire of it on my wrist and then it rides on my backpack carry-loop. My eyes have gone downhill over the last year or so though, which makes me think the print on the road ID should be BIGGER so a bystander doesn't need their reading glasses.

Moderator Moderator
    Oh no, another (still) unidentified cyclist, but this one didn't make it...
    Cyclist still unidentified in fatal South Shore bike crash - Montreal - CBC News

mtbr member
    i almost always carry at least my drivers license and debit card, but if i don't have any pockets, i just throw on my old dog tags from the army. it's got my name, what type of blood i would like if i am still alive, and what type of prayer i would like if i am not.
    Don't buy all the lies that they feed ya.

mtbr member
    It sounds like the bus driver did not maintain a safe passing distance or there would have been room for her to dodge recycle bins. The windshield says he overlapped her by about 2', so with a 3' safe distance, unless she moved 5' to the left, he was too close. No mention of a charge against him. Maybe another case where a dead cyclist is an at fault cyclist?

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Oh no, another (still) unidentified cyclist, but this one didn't make it...
    Cyclist still unidentified in fatal South Shore bike crash - Montreal - CBC News

"Police believe the woman wasn’t far from wherever she started her ride because she wasn’t carrying many personal items and wasn’t wearing a helmet."

WEAR YOUR HELMET!

Moderator Moderator
    Another reminder...https://www.avonandsomerset.police.u...apsed-cyclist/

consider a roadID Road ID | USA's #1 Source for Runners ID, Cycling ID & Medical ID Tags, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ice-...412786820?mt=8 (I don't have an Iphone but my brother-in-law told me about this), an old license with sharpied phone numbers in your seatpack, or ???

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Does anyone know of any Road ID's that would attach to your bicycle helmet? I often don't bring my wallet or my phone on my rides. The only thing that comes with me on every ride is my helmet.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^The cheapest way would be to order a pet tag and attach it to your helmet with 2 small zip ties. They are usually about $5

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^The cheapest way would be to order a pet tag and attach it to your helmet with 2 small zip ties. They are usually about $5
    That's a great Idea! I will do that.

I Ride for Donuts
    I kind of like the idea of being the mystery cyclist that provides others with the opportunity to do a good deed trying to track down who I am. No identification for me anymore.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^CB you would obviously be identified by your smart hat.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Smart- something!

Road ID has a couple bucks off until the 19th, $18 for the ID (4 choices), $2 shipping.

https://www.roadid.com/Common/Catalog.aspx?C=RoadID

I Ride for Donuts
    Dang forgot about the smart............hat.

In all seriousness, On a typical commute, I'm packing a wallet, cell phone... and now a computer, work ID... I'd be seriously hard to mistake.

I do take off solo into the woods on the mountain bike a lot though, and on those rides I'm guilty of being hard to identify sometimes...and those are the rides where something is more likely to happen "out there"... especially now that I'm using a Garmin, I've been known to leave the phone at home or in the vehicle, since I"m not using it for GPS/Strava duties. I should at least be carrying the phone. I do like the doggy tag idea... I could slap one of those on the camelbak. Always packing the 1st generation tattered Camelbak Mule from 1990-something.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)