Thread: Ninja cyclist

mtbr member

Ninja cyclist

Let's see um'. What do you look like when you're riding in sub freezing, sometimes sub-zero, temps?

I have a more traditional set up. Probably not good because of all the Cotton, But it's warm and I'm cheap.

Knit Beanie, Older "Scott" Brand Goggles, Seirus Comfort mask. Then just layers of cloths after that. Have some 10 dollar gloves from the Meijer gas station. My hands have never been cold.

So.....For just a moment. Let's see some ninja cyclist pictures.

mtbr member
    You first!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

blet drive
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottNova
    Let's see um'. What do you look like when you're riding in sub freezing, sometimes sub-zero, temps?

I have a more traditional set up. Probably not good because of all the Cotton, But it's warm and I'm cheap.

Knit Beanie, Older "Scott" Brand Goggles, Seirus Comfort mask. Then just layers of cloths after that. Have some 10 dollar gloves from the Meijer gas station. My hands have never been cold.

So.....For just a moment. Let's see some ninja cyclist pictures.

what is that light on your head..
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5
    what is that light on your head..

Nothing Special Just an LED flashlight I got for half off. Zip-tied it to the top of my helmet. It is actually aimed just about perfect. Will light up reflectors from about 800 ft away. (Even though it says only 200.

I know I'm a Newb, But just trying to start a fun thread. You don't actually have to be a Ninja.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Haaaii-yaa!

pretty similar, old goggles (can't-see-sideways kind!), over dakota lightweight balaclava. cheapo beanie over 'clava for sub -5C days.
    the worst days see me with polypro tights under carhartts under rain pants. on those days I start planning how to make my own pogies.

hope to find the time to mod my gogs this weekend, will post a pic then.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sub -5C? Jeez. I don't put anything more on my face besides my hat and clear glasses until it gets to -13/9F.... and even then it matters on windchill.

mtbr member
    dont those gogs fog up? i have only ever worn safety glasses to break the wind. If your cold just ride faster!
    count your blessings

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzer16
    dont those gogs fog up? i have only ever worn safety glasses to break the wind. If your cold just ride faster!

They Fog up at stop lights. I just lift them away from my face and then put them back on when the light is about to change.

I also don't wear them because of my face being cold. Same goes for the mask as well. I wear the goggles because they are the only clear set of lenses I have. I usually switch to my Sunglasses once the sun (or light) comes out. It's Primarily so I can look up with out snow flakes or rain getting in my eye. That and If I'm fast enough my eyes water.

The mask, as odd as it sounds, helps get the air a bit warmer before I breathe it. Don't know how but I can breathe better with it on. The air isn't quite as cold going into my lungs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    It doesn't get to sub zero here in Austin, but this was what I looked like last winter when I was riding for work after dark. It was probably getting down in the low 40s to mid 30s. About the same as it is now. I've got a lighter, warmer jacket this year though, but still rocking the face mask.

The Brutally Handsome
    Here's my turtleneckmask.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Did I catch a niner?
    =
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Cold today in Pueblo, Colorado!

http://www.alternativecommutepueblo.com/

I'm SUCH a square....
    OK, y'all confused me -- everywhere else, a "ninja" is a rider who wears dark clothes while riding at night with no lights. You guys mean riders who cover their faces like Sonny Chiba.

I wear prescription glasses, and they fog up if I have anything above my lower lip, so I set the balaclava JUST RIGHT, and my exhaled breath warms my face.

Moderator Moderator
    Looks like it's for ninja giraffes...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Wow. People sure have different tolerances for temps. If I wore a balaclava or mouth covering at 30-40F, I'd be sweating like a hog in heat.

In the single digits (F), I will wear a fleece with collar that can be pulled up around my mouth with a cycling shell over top. I wear a Louis Garneau ear cover on my earss Sometimes I still get a little warm. I usually don't have to worry about sub-zero (F) temps. I guess I'm not very ninja.

Did I catch a niner?
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    Wow. People sure have different tolerances for temps. If I wore a balaclava or mouth covering at 30-40F, I'd be sweating like a hog in heat.

In the single digits (F), I will wear a fleece with collar that can be pulled up around my mouth with a cycling shell over top. I wear a Louis Garneau ear cover on my earss Sometimes I still get a little warm. I usually don't have to worry about sub-zero (F) temps. I guess I'm not very ninja.
    That picture of me is with an outside temp of -20F it gets quite cold in MN.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    That picture of me is with an outside temp of -20F it gets quite cold in MN.
    I believe you. I was referencing the guy from TX. Once I saw a guy riding in full winter gear in Florida. I think the temps were in the upper 40s, maybe even in the 50s. You'd probably be wearing shorts and a t-shirt.