Thread: Night Eye Wear

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Night Eye Wear

G'day guys
    What do you wear for glasses at night?
    Clear or yellow lenses etc.
    I always wear sunnies during the day rides but the morning commute in winter is pitch black and the rainy days are too dark for sunnies.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I tried the yellow approach and it really made things look funky to me, but maybe it's due to color perception.

I'm using clear lenses on my Oakleys and find they are good in low light and when it is raining.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Clears for me. I love wearing yellows when I'm snowboarding and there is flat light, but not while biking.

BIG and Bald
    Yellows at night but the roads I ride during the dark are pretty well lit already. If I were solely depending on bike lighting, I would stick with the clear lenses.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I've considered trying a pair of the photo-sensitive "Transitions" glasses. I've seen them for motorcycle goggles but haven't pursued to see what other options they have.

Just a thought.

OCTO13ER

jrm
    mtbr member

Chromatic lenses

Quote Originally Posted by baldy1
    G'day guys
    What do you wear for glasses at night?
    Clear or yellow lenses etc.
    I always wear sunnies during the day rides but the morning commute in winter is pitch black and the rainy days are too dark for sunnies.

Cheers
    Change tint for various levels of light.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've started wearing clear lenses almost all the time. Especially if I am wearing a cap under my helmet.

Don't waste money on expensive clear lens glasses. I bought a pair of welding eye glasses with shatterproof lenses for 5.00 dollars. Sunglasses are an expensive accessory. And manufacturers try to sell you expensive pairs with hyperbole about how they will protect your eyes better then cheaper models.

bubbletea Latte'
    I've found that the mountain biking sunglasses offered by Specialized that are photo-sensitive work great. When I ride to work during the day, they offer great protection, when I return home from work at night they change to a nice light yellow color (the road version is more of a rose color I think) that allows me to see great at night. With these glasses I only have to carry one pair no matter what I am doing, and I never have to worry about carrying or changing lenses.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just use a cheap bike nashbar that had swappable lenses. I put the clear in and have a different pair of sunglasses I use. I mainly use them to avoid bugs in my eyes. Eye protection is really useful when it's snowing out. It can be impossible to ride with all that snow pelting the eyeballs. Then I throw on the ski goggles. They also get used when it starts dipping below 0F so I don't freeze my face.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

+1 on trasition type lenses...

I wear prescription glasses so don't have much choice. I absolutely refuse to pay the stupid high prices it takes to get a set of more "stylish" cycling or sport specific glasses with prescription ground lenses. My prescriptions cost more than the most expensive set of Oakleys you can buy as it is. The one option that I will always spring for is the Transition lens. They get dark enough to keep things tame on sunny days, but are completely clear and untinted at night. The only other treatment that I go for is the anti-glare coating. It eliminates the "halo" effect that is often experienced with headlights and other artificial light sources and prescription lenses. Shouldn't be much of a problem with regular protective lenses of good quality though. Anyway a good Photo Gray or Transition lens make for ideal commuting glasses for variable light conditions. One pair of glasses with lenses that adapt to variable light conditions. No additional lenses to carry and no swap required.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    I just use a cheap bike nashbar that had swappable lenses. I put the clear in and have a different pair of sunglasses I use. I mainly use them to avoid bugs in my eyes. Eye protection is really useful when it's snowing out. It can be impossible to ride with all that snow pelting the eyeballs. Then I throw on the ski goggles. They also get used when it starts dipping below 0F so I don't freeze my face.
    I have a pair of these. Only the right year on though.Transition lenses.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    I ended up ordering via the web some Tifosi Stelvios with 3 lenses for $60. Couldn't find them in Oz so took the punt on going by reviews here.
    I already have a good pair of polarised sunnies and mainly got these for the clear lense. But i'll see how the dark lense compares to my sunnies. Hopefully as good so i can just carry one pair.
    I went against the transition lenses as i didn't want to pay $300+ for another set of glasses.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I bought some at the LBS bargain bin here in Oz for $19.95, they work great.
    I've just swapped to the yellow lenses for a test, probably will go back to clear.