When did you get here?!?!

Nexus/Alfine on a 1969 Raleigh?

Hey folks,
    My trusty 1969 Raleigh beer bike is about to get a 21st century commuter upgrade. I've pulled the trigger on a Nexus red band hub and will be lacing it up to a 650a rim. The old Sturmey Archer has seen its last finicky days as far as I'm concerned.

My question is this..... Does the Alfine rapidfire shifter really work with the Nexus hub?

The twistshift does not appeal to me at all....
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It will work.

weirdo
    Pictures!

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions
    ...My trusty 1969 Raleigh beer bike is about to get a 21st century commuter upgrade....
    Is it the standard US sold 3 speed with EA3 tires and side pull/cable brakes or the model with rod brakes/enclosed chain?

Thanks for the replies!
    I'll get a few photos up as soon as the project is complete. As she sits right now she's missing the chainguard, has new tires and cables, a replacement (but still old as dirt) Brooks saddle, and has a front wire basket but is otherwise in stock condition.
    It rides great right now but only as a singlespeed. My daily commute includes just over 1000' of climbing for the round trip so.... gears would be nice.

Anyone know where I can pick up a brown 'hockey-stick' chainguard?
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    Is it the standard US sold 3 speed with EA3 tires and side pull/cable brakes or the model with rod brakes/enclosed chain?

EA3? Not sure what you mean. They are 590 ERD rims though. *edit* Yes. I googled EA3/590. that's it.
    It has the side pull brakes as well. I would guess it was US sold.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Pictures!!!

Hey guys, Well, I've got it up and running. After two weeks solid of commuting the original 1969 front wheel crapped out (flange broke off the hub!) so I went all the way with a new wheelset. Stay tuned for a full review of both the Nexus system and the Supernove E3 light.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

a couple more...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Another Retro Grouch
    Great upgrade to a classic Raleigh. I love the old-school frame mounted pump