Thread: In the news

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

I'm SUCH a square....
    Just a new chapter in the same old story -- motorists think they own the road cuz they pay taxes, cyclists think they own the road because they are less environmentally impactful and have a legal right.

Everybody is all fired up about their rights, their privileges that are misconstrued as rights, and their conveniences that are mistaken as rights because they are so self-important. NOBODY thinks about their RESPONSIBILITIES, which means to follow ALL traffic laws, look out for each other, and not just 'take' your right because you can, when the risk is another's life or health. (Or even your own!)

The arrogance of ignorance is a wall that cannot be knocked down, it seems....
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

weirdo
    I don`t get it- I see a headline: "Pedal VS Metal", but no article comes with it? Is the link bad, or just a big file?

Frt Range, CO
    Link worked fine for me. Last line of the article is kinda funny:
    "As a society, you can flip someone off very easily," Adams said. "But we have no hand signal that says 'I'm sorry.' "

No-Brakes Cougar
    Many people are in possession of a false sense of entitlement. It sucks, but it's human nature. What can you do about? You can preach to the converted, but what do you do about people who won't listen to reason? You have to look out for number one!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

This just in.

Bicyclist punches 79-year-old woman near Alabama Street foot bridge
    SAM TAYLOR - THE BELLINGHAM HERALD

BELLINGHAM A 79-year-old woman was punched in the face near the Alabama Street foot bridge Tuesday, Nov. 4, according to Bellingham Police Department Lt. Steve Felmley.
    The assault occurred about 11 a.m. after a man on a bicycle initially clipped the woman's arm, knocking her to the side of the trail. Felmley said the man rode by the victim and her friend several more times, until nobody else was around but the three, then rode up and hit the victim in the face.
    She suffered a cut to the inside of her lip.

The suspect is described as being white, between 25 and 35 years old, with a full, scruffy beard and shoulder-length dark brown hair. He was carrying some type of brown briefcase and his bike had a rear fender.
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MABman
    Bicyclist punches 79-year-old woman near Alabama Street foot bridge
    WTF?? There's more to this than what is reported here. Nobody is going to go to that much trouble to punch an old lady unprovoked. I'm not saying what he did was right (if that's even what he did) but at the very least, there has to have been more of an exchange to generate that kind of response. I'm very skeptical of the old woman's account. Something is being omitted if not outright fabricated.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Maybe. But there are a lot of idiots out there.

That Portland story is old. Anyway, while I believe cyclists should do their part to perpetuate goodwill (waving a car through at a four-way stop instead of rolling it), many motorists are just clueless, and the cops are no better when something bad happens to the cyclist. See Bob Mionske's "legally speaking" column on VeloNews for some VERY enlightening discussions on this topic. (be prepared to read a while, as the articles are long and there have been a lot of them this summer... but please read them)

weirdo
    I wonder if the old lady kept the guy`s Twenty and then wouldn`t give him his rock.