mtbr member
    Jun 2008

newbie looking for bike

Hello all!

I need help choosing a bike. Preferably in the under $500 range. But i'm really new to this scene and there is a lot of learning ahead for me. This looks like a good place to start.

Basically i need a bike to commute around town, generally in a 10mile radius. And i also like to climb a steep hill nearby. Don't go off-roading at all.

I have been looking at the Giant FCR3 recently because the shop near me prefers to carry Giant and Electra. Hoping for other opinions. Something possibly not made in China/Taiwan preferred, but i don't think that's possible with my budget.

Would appreciate any help i get. And i apologize ahead if i ask for clarification on any bicycle terminology.

Thank you!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It sucks, everything is made in Taiwan or China. Even if you find a frame made in the USA, Canada, Italy, Japan, etc. the components will likely be from China or Taiwan. You'd be lucky to find a good American frame built up for less than $1500. Cannondale used to be all USA, but only their top tier frames are made here now. Just take heart that you are doing the world good by consuming less gas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi!

Thanks for the reply. How does the Kona Dew compare to the FCR3? I've been eye'ing a used Dew for sale and am interested. But as i am unfamiliar with bicycle repair and maintenance i am a bit weary on getting a used one. Most of the new bicycles offer a lifetime maintenance. Is there anything specific i should check for when looking at the used bike?

I just realized there was a beginner section, sorry mods if i posted this thread in the wrong area. Feel free to move if necessary.

mtbr member
    I highly suggest you go used. Try some internet sizing guides to get an idea of what may fit you and then search craigslist and ebay. Here are a few good brands to get you started:

Bianchi
    Bridgestone
    Cannondale
    Centurion
    Miyata
    Nishiki
    Raleigh
    Schwinn
    Specialized
    Trek
    Univega

Mid-80s to early 90s is the sweet spot for classic lugged steel road bikes. You can pick up something really nice for ~$200 and completely restore it or upgrade it or just ride it till you can afford something new. I love my 86' Univega. Paid $165 and it replaced a $1200 Cannondale cross bike I bought last year. To be fair, the Cannondale was a hell of a bike but I decided to buy a real expensive road bike and a dedicated commuter instead of having one bike to do it all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm loving it so far. I almost didn't buy it because of the Aluminum frame because my back is screwed, but it rode as nice as the steel stuff I tried. My next Mountain Bike will be steel though. I love the fact it came with hydraulic disks, and the P2 fork is sweet. It's fast on the pavement, respectable off-road and doesn't have me hunched over like a roadie. I got the Deluxe for a little under $600, it looked cooler and had better specs than the other stuff I saw at the same price level and up. It's perfect for an urban assault on DC. My only real gripe is that I'm paranoid somebody is going to steal it whenever I lock it up. I'd definitely recommend it.

LCI #1853
    Vip:

The hot city/commuter bike around here the past few months is the Marin Muirwoods. My LBS sells them as quick as they come in the store, built up with racks, lights, slick tires, and maybe fenders. They run $450, plus the rack, fenders etc. if you want to build it up.

Very slick-looking bike... almost like something Darth Vader would ride, I've always thought...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the replies!

I put an order on a Kona Dew and should be coming in soon. Should i have the bike shop upgrade any of the parts ahead of time or ride it as is for now?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vipspiffy
    Thanks for the replies!

I put an order on a Kona Dew and should be coming in soon. Should i have the bike shop upgrade any of the parts ahead of time or ride it as is for now?
    I'd probably ride it for now. It's a great ride, maybe look into some affordable disc brakes in the future, I love them on mine. I'd just upgrade as you get to know the bike or as you need to replace worn parts.Have fun!

ONe less gear

should've done the same

Quote Originally Posted by Paulitik
    I'd probably ride it for now. It's a great ride, maybe look into some affordable disc brakes in the future, I love them on mine. I'd just upgrade as you get to know the bike or as you need to replace worn parts.Have fun!
    I went with the Kona Blast, but I upgraded everything except the fork, headset, and stem. I just thought I should have mountain bike. I am not really upset because I have a really sweet XT group. But if I were to do it again it would be the Dew or Specialized Centrum.

BIG and Bald
    Thanks for the replies!

If you're gonna be doing any early morning rides or riding at night I would get some lights. One red blinky for the rear, a white light for the front and blinkies spread over the frame of the bike wouldn't hurt either. Check out the Knog Frog series of lights. I tried some this year and I love 'em.

I would also purchase a good rear rack with a pannier and also some fenders if you're going to be commuting during or right after rain.

I'm going to pick up my wife's Dew Plus this afternoon after waiting almost 6 weeks. I'm as excited as she is.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Turns out the Dew is backordered for months. I guess i'll be looking at other options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Turns out the Dew is backordered for months. I guess i'll be looking at other options.
    Do they have a Dew Plus in stock? Essentially a Dew with disc brakes, so a great upgrade for ~$100 more.

BIG and Bald
    From what my LBS told me the Dew Plus is pretty much non-exsistant now. I'm glad we were able to get my wife's even though she had to wait for so long. If that fell through I was going to have her look at the Specialized Globe or Crosstrail. Both under $500.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]