mtbr member

Listen! New Wheels - Commuting and Extended Rides

I bought a cheap set of older mavic aksium road wheels for my allez.

I want to upgrade to a nicer set, one that is a little quicker and stronger.

I've already begun to get my front wheel a bit out of true (noobie commuter, hitting potholes) and my rear wheel, the hub has been loose with vibrations, I keep having to tighten it all down.

I run about 225, so I need a wheel that can handle my weight.

I dont want to spend a ton of money o my commuter road bike. But I have begun to like road biking so I've taken the bike on more exnteded rides not just to work and back. Usually I ride 10 miles road trip to and form work, but on the weekend I'll ride closer to 30, i'm trying to build up.

Thoughts on the Easton EA50?
    Thoughts on the Specialized Roval Fusse SL
    Last edited by EDizzleVR6; 07-01-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: re wording
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

if the wheels look flashy, you'll attract more attention to your commute bike when it's locked up, making it more difficult to secure.

I built up a pretty humdrum but good quality wheelset with Shimano M529 hubs and Velocity Dyad rims. My whole bike looks a lot more boring than it actually is, for that matter. This is intentional. It also helps that it's a brand most in my area don't know (On-One). My wheels are great for commuting. They're durable enough for off-road riding, so potholes and rough roads aren't a problem. Yeah, they're heavier than they could be, but they're solid.

Fat-tired Roadie
    IMHO, if you want durability, system wheels are the wrong place to look. Do something traditional, built well. Or build them yourself.

What can you spend? I got some conservative but nice wheels from bicyclewheelwarehouse.com for about $200 a couple years ago. They're on my 26" mountain bike, which sees a fair riding volume and the occasional hit, and they're doing nicely. I think it's difficult, though not impossible, to do well spending less. Spending more can get you into better-regarded hubs, and a broader selection of rims and spokes - I got mine on closeout, so not the kind of selection one gets at retail.

For road bikes for practical use, I like eyeleted (including hidden) rims. I built a CXP33 onto an old Shimano disc hub for my commuter, after finding cracks around the spoke holes in the flashy stock rim.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    IMHO, if you want durability, system wheels are the wrong place to look. Do something traditional, built well. Or build them yourself.
    This x100!
    A nice set of hand built wheels is always better than a cookie-cutter company wheel that you can order. They're cheaper too!

jrm
    mtbr member
    Ive found that Mavic Open pros laced 3x to ultegra hubs combined with a 25 or 28c tire are quite durable.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    thanks all for the advice. this bike never gets locked up and always brought inside with me to my office or house / friends house.

I'm willing to spend around 300-400 for a nice handbuilt set. What rims are recommended, I'm thinking to stay away from mavic
    To be blunt;

Fat-tired Roadie
    DT is pretty well-regarded too. I'm too lazy to paw through their line again, but they offer a box-section, eyeleted road race rim. I think it's the RR460? Anyway, while I've done fine with Mavic, that would be my non-Mavic choice.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx