mtbr member
    Dec 2004

New to Skinny Tires

My new commuter has skinny tires (700c) and they are presenting a problem. After only six weeks of commuting on the new ride I noticed a noise had developed. Upon inspection I noticed several spokes had come loose from their nipples, the wheel was no longer true causing the spokes near the hub to hit the derailleur, and I had a nasty flat spot on the rear wheel . I do not remember hitting anything out of the ordinary but I must have hit something hard. I had to order a new set of wheels and really do not want a repeat performance. I have about every road condition imaginable on my 12mi commute and never gave them a second thought but I evidently need to. So with the skinny tires on a bike what typical road obstacles (RR crossings, manholes, uneven pavement, etc) need special attention and what attention do they need?

Ovaries on the Outside
    I have DP18 rims with Formula hubs, so I certainly don't have anything special. I'll hop curbs occasionally, but generally just try to be a little more gentle. Another aspect that might not help is the size of the tires- meatier tires might treat you better.

I don't understand what happened to your back wheel....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Run them at almost their maximum pressure. Check them every other day. High pressure tires lose air quickly. The tire is what's protecting your rim. I've ride Deep V's with a 700x23 and have no problems. I run into **** constantly. Running as wide of tires as possible will also help you. Most likely you have room for 700x28s, but try to fit 32 or 35s on.

jrm
    mtbr member

any new wheels need to be retensioned

after theyve been used for a couple of weeks. rides. id stop riding um and get them to a shop

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    after theyve been used for a couple of weeks. rides. id stop riding um and get them to a shop
    No, only crappy, improperly built wheels do. Most machine built wheels fall into this category.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've ridden a road bike for close to 30 years, and mountain bikes for more than 14 years. I've flat-spotted one rim in that time, and definitely felt the impact.

I agree with Schmucker's recommendations on tire width and inflation. But I'd go with jrm's recommenadation to get spoke tension checked on your new rims after a few rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I feel lots of impact but not that I thought would have bent my rim. Oh well the cheep wheels will be replaced soon. I’ve ordered the DT Swiss 1.1’s with 32 spokes and 240 hubs…hope they hold up better. I will try different tires at the same time. My current tires are 700X28 and recommended for a max of 85psi, will try to find something a little wider that will allow for 100psi. Thanks for the help