mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New to Rainy / Stormy Commuting

Expecting heavy rain in Northern California this winter. Beginner commuter. What suggestions do you have for clothing : Good Poncho? Good rain jacket? Good rain pants?

Commuting 3 miles each way. City streets. Way home will be dark.

Thank You Very Much for any suggestions.
    joe Schmoe

I got nothin'
    For only three miles I wouldn't worry too much about great or high cost gear. I have been using inexpensive rain gear (jacket and pants) from Performance for about four years now. Both still work great. Get some neoprene booties and gloves as well as head and tail lights to be seen by drivers.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

NONDURO
    Get some BRIGHT-ASS LIGHTS for sure.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    When I was in San Francisco a couple weeks ago, I biked over the Golden Gate Bridge (I know, I'm such a tourist) and it was raining pretty heavily the whole time. Fortunately, I had brought my rain pants (LLBean, not sure which model, the cheapest ones though), rain coat (Marmot Precip) and GoreTex sneakers (Vasque, forget what model) and after riding 6 miles, walking around Sausalito in the rain, then riding a couple miles back to the bike rental place, I was bone dry.

Hit up REI, check out the rain gear. The Marmot Precip jacket is great and affordable (on sale for $80 at REI last week), you can also find REI brand rain pants for not too much and you'll be good to go.
    For Sale:
    -Pearl Izumi Barrier rain pants, new, mens medium: $75 shipped
    -Shimano triple crankset/isis BB $50 - PM me

mtbr member
    Fenders, rain jacket, rain pants, waterproof gloves and shoes (I like some goretex hiking boots). If it's a warm rain (>45F), you might want to leave off the jacket as you'll sweat more from the inside as rain landing on you from the outside.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
    Expecting heavy rain in Northern California this winter. Beginner commuter. What suggestions do you have for clothing : Good Poncho? Good rain jacket? Good rain pants?

Commuting 3 miles each way. City streets. Way home will be dark.

Thank You Very Much for any suggestions.
    joe Schmoe

Well 3 miles ain't very far...5 km in traffic you can probably get that done in 10 to 15 minutes with practice.....even if you flatted you are only 45 minutes to home.

I would consider blasting home with minimal clothing...when it rains...when it doesn't I would consider some longer more scenic routes.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Anyone know where I can get anything like this? I'm a huge cycle to work fan, but the colder and wetter weather is really getting to me...the underground is looking extremely tempting I have to say!

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB1ker29
    Anyone know where I can get anything like [URL="http://www.bakfiets-en-meer.nl/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/bike-rain-roof1.jpg"]
    You`d probably have to make it yourself. I bet that guy did, too.
    Recalculating....