mtbr member

New Law - Illinois

New Law
    Recklessly Overtaking Bicyclists, Pedestrians, Horses, or Animal Drawn Vehicles

The General Assembly has criminalized the reckless passing of bicyclists, pedestrians, horses, or animal drawn vehicles. (P.A. 96-1007)

Effective January 1, 2011, it is a Class A misdemeanor for a person to:

* in a reckless manner
    * drive a motor vehicle
    * unnecessarily close to, toward, or near
    * a bicyclist, pedestrian, or a person riding a horse or driving an animal drawn vehicle. (625 ILCS 5/11-703(e-f))

A violation is a Class 3 felony if it results in great bodily harm or permanent disability or disfigurement to another person. (625 ILCS 5/11-703(f))

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Long overdue

Penalty to low for causing bodily harm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nice law, but do they define "reckless" anywhere? Pretty unenforceable, it seems - short of a collision.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ubernerd
    Nice law, but do they define "reckless" anywhere? Pretty unenforceable, it seems - short of a collision.

It is already classified as 'reckless' here (Indiana) to pass anything on blind hills and corners, but bikes are often not considerd vehicles, nor buggies. But short of either a collision, or an officer seeing it, it is about as enforceable as speeding law.

I wonder what the police would do with video of a blatant breaking of the law especially if it shows plate and enough to ID the driver? We all need to remember these cameras are going up everywhere as stationary spys (not paranoia, fact). Mobile ones are becoming more common, too. So it will pay to be on your best behavior everywhere because not only is everyone watching, everyone is recording it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'd rather see a felony charge for any bike stolen.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    I wonder what the police would do with video of a blatant breaking of the law especially if it shows plate and enough to ID the driver?
    Video archive might be seen as "proof", and different jurisdictions are obviously not handled the same, but I wouldn`t hold my breath. A guy I work with was knocked off the road early this spring in a hit and run incedent. Lots of witnesses, and some people had already stopped to give assistance, so one guy took off after the car, noted the plate number, and returned to the scene to give the plate to the cops for their report. In the end, nothing happened to the driver because having your PLATE on a car causing an accident doesn`t prove that YOU did anything.

Then again, cameras issue a lot of mail order speeding tickets in some places.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalayon
    I'd rather see a felony charge for any bike stolen.
    It may be in some cases.

(4) Theft of property from the person not exceeding
    $300 in value, or theft of property exceeding $300 and not
    exceeding $10,000 in value, is a Class 3 felony.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/full...AID=9&Session=

UR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    In the end, nothing happened to the driver because having your PLATE on a car causing an accident doesn`t prove that YOU did anything.

Then again, cameras issue a lot of mail order speeding tickets in some places.
    Yeah, if the witness got the plate and a look at the driver with the car in sight the whole time, that would be a lock. It would be interesting if the Poilice in a jurisdiction the gave traffic camera citations did not follow up such a clear lead. The owner was driving or they know who was unless they repeorted the vehicle stolen.

I assume 'value' on a stolen bike is it's replacement cost? If so, most bikes worth the trouble to steal, would make the Class 3 standard.