Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabies010 View Post
    I remember that in another thread someone used grubscrews to stud a tire.
    He drilled a hole from the inside out screwed in the grubscrews until it completely disappeares in the rubber and i also think he glued in a really thin innertube as a tire liner.
    Interesting ! May be a very nice way to go if it's holding good in place. To eliminate those screw heads would be a big plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    ^ I looked at setscrews last year, but as a canuck they're tough to get. In the states you can order in bulk from mcmaster carr, but in Canada you have to go in to a Fastenal or Acklands Grainger store. Homedepots just carry packs of 10. Which isn't to say that it's impossible...just that you can't do it online and I am lazy.

I never found a followup on how well the setscrews actually worked, but they should wear at the same rate as the selftapping screws. I think they'd end up being a bit more expensive, but would be lighter with less risk to the tube.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ I looked at setscrews last year, but as a canuck they're tough to get. In the states you can order in bulk from mcmaster carr, but in Canada you have to go in to a Fastenal or Acklands Grainger store. Homedepots just carry packs of 10. Which isn't to say that it's impossible...just that you can't do it online and I am lazy.

I never found a followup on how well the setscrews actually worked, but they should wear at the same rate as the selftapping screws. I think they'd end up being a bit more expensive, but would be lighter with less risk to the tube.
    i've thought about set screws but the threads are so thin/small i always worried they'd just worm their way back into (or out of) the tire. at least the metal screws have coarse large threads

i'd love to hear from someone who had good success with the set screws...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    i've thought about set screws but the threads are so thin/small i always worried they'd just worm their way back into (or out of) the tire. at least the metal screws have coarse large threads

i'd love to hear from someone who had good success with the set screws...
    Heck, like I said I'm going south in only 3 weeks, so I'll take a look at those setscrews. And maybe try a few of them in the mix and see how it goes. I'll definitively have to glue them in though.

Actually, my rona might have some metric ones, which are often alloy steel... Depending on the price (if they have some), I'd experiment around.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Moderator Moderator
    Ive gone to the dark side (commercial studded tires), but made a few sets with the smallest size car tire studs available. When I first made a pair there was no internet and I had to walk 5 miles in the snow both ways to buy them from a tire store.

Pros of my DIYs: Unsurpassed grip
    Wear like iron

Cons of my DIYs: Rolling resistance/buzz on paved sections (they stick out more than bike tire studs)
    Heavy
    More prone to flats. This was the biggest downside. Eventually the flange of the stud (you drill tire & mount from inside) would wear through or shift whatever liners I used (Mr Tuffy, old tube, snakeskin-like liners, glue, etc.).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've got a 2/3's done pair of Bonty Connections with carbide panhead screws. Pics forthcoming tomorrow when I finish them.

If you can find an old pair of those tires, btw, I really like them for this purpose. They have nice, big knobs on the outsides of the center tread.

mtbr member
    Talking about DIY studding made me realize that there's still a hole in the commercial market - no one makes a chunky knobby that is only moderately studded.

I've got Mount&Grounds which have 160 studs per tire, and are great on ice and in most winter conditions. In fresh snow though, they're twitchy and frustrating and pretty much suck. The number of studs is never the issue - it's the width (which is both too narrow and too wide) and the tread that are the problem.

I've also got Ice Spiker Pros which are fantastic, and solid, and predictable, and I don't have to worry until the snow is as deep as my bottom bracket. But they've got 402 studs per 29er tire and have a msrp of $160 (although thankfully you can find them much cheaper). I don't need 402 studs - it's the width and the tread that makes them so dependable. Even on snowy singletrack the extra studs aren't doing much, and I'm not racing around on skating rinks. I'd love to have the option of an Ice Spiker-Lite or a Nokian less-Extreme with the same aggressive casing but half the studs.

When people make a DIY tire they often go with a big knobby and two rows of studs. It's what I did, and it makes sense, but for some reason Schwalbe and Nokian don't offer that.
    Last edited by newfangled; 12-11-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Huckin' trails
    True. Pretty much one of the reason I'm going DIY. I don't see anything in the market as of now that fit my likings (coz it's more of a want than a need), and if it does, it's little to no chance to be in my price range to be cost-competitive with my DIY stuff. Maybe a nice knobby in 2.4 with two rows of studs and around 100-150 studs only, with good hard snow/ice rubber compound for under $45, maybe $30 on sale would be ideal for my mtb. Since it's not gonna see a lot of pavement miles anyway, I wouldn't need super hard expensive studs, but just some value-oriented quality. If it can be better than the $17 CST Caballero 2.4 tire and about $5 worth of screws and 1 hour of DIYing, for under $45, well yes it fit my price-range. I simply like to do stuff my way.

Even if my way is often way out of everyone else's

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

nokian stud tool and replacement studs

Lots of granite rocks here in SW NH which is not good for studs put in from outside- everytime I lose a stud from my Nokians, which is usually off one of the edge knobs, the hole either rips into the knob or enlarges and the replacement studs won't stay in. I'm studding up a pair of Nevegals using stainless steel cone point socket screws which go all the way in from the inside and leave no trace... & I can use Stan's solution so no tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Flippin hell...for the price of those studs, you might as well buy a pair of Nokians and their stud replacing tool. And you'll still come out under half of what it would take to do two tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Huckin' trails
    Interesting. Let us know how it goes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2