mtbr member
    May 2013

New to Commuting tire question

I just started commuting. I ride a Specialized Hardrock Sport disc 29er. I am really new to biking so still trying to learn things. I am looking at getting some type of hybrid tire to hopefully help w/gaining more speed. I ride 90 % canal banks which are either hard packed dirt or some loose gravel. I have no clue what to get. I have extra tubes for 29x1.9-2.3 and don't want to have to buy more. Any suggestions on tires would be great.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^What's on there for tires now?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport

I Ride for Donuts
    You'll be surprised how well a pretty slick tire will perform on that kind of stuff. I ride a 29er and have a chunk of dirt road on my commute, as well as a singletrack trail option. I have used Schwalbe Big Apples (mine were the 2.3 size, they also have a 2.0), and Serfas Drifters (2.0). Both of these tires were really great on pavement and hardpack dirt/lose gravel situations, and were much faster rolling than any sort of knobby I have used.

Contenental Town and Country tires are similar to the Drifters..I haven't used them, but I've neard good things.

Also, if you have the budget, Schwalbe Marathon's are the durability standard that all others try to reach.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    +1 on the Big Apples. They are surprisingly good on lots of varied terrain. Here they are in the middle of the woods.
    New to Commuting tire question-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Big Apples are fantastic on all sorts of stuff. But if you try to ride them in mud they will try to kill you without warning. They're very sneaky.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've got Town and Country-s on my cross bike. So far, they've handled everything I've thrown at them, from loose sand over hardpack/pavement, to chunky gravel and flat pavement. I've had no issues keeping up with people on them.

As CB suggested, over relatively flat terrain, it doesn't matter quite so much to have a knobby tire. It does add up quickly if there is a lot of loose earth, though.

Moderator Moderator
    I might be tempted to keep what you've got until they're worn out, since they are not overly knobby or overly wide. Since you're not on pavement much, I'm doubtful how much slicker tires will speed you up. You'll likely speed up some anyway since you're pretty new to it.

If you do get something smoother, I'd go easy in the turns/loose stuff/downhills until you are confident in their (and your) abilities. It also depends on how consistent your weather is and whether you'll be riding during/after rainstorms that might create washouts, mud, etc.

I have the 26x1.75 Marathons, but the cheaper (and heavier and more flat resistant) "green guard" version. I have 2.6 miles of dirt road/day.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the input