mtbr member
    Oct 2012

New Commuter Rig... suggestions?

I'm a couple weeks from pulling the trigger with my NsLBS (Not-so-Local Bike Shop) for a new commuter rig. Any advice on what I need to make it better? I don't want anything too high-end for components, just a solid workhorse. Route to work is 100% paved... Here's where my LBS and I are looking:

Frame: Surly CC; 54cm
    Drivetrain: 1x9 with a Rival integrated shifter.
    Salsa Cowbell bars
    Wheels: Dynamo Front Hub, Schwalbe Marathons or Bontrager LT1s. Nothing special for rims/spokes/rear hub.
    Brakes: EDIT: V-brakes; something basic but good performing
    Seat: I'm considering a Brooks, but may go for something less flashy.
    Misc: Chain Guard, Rear Rack, Full Fenders. Lumotec Cyo/TopLight dynamo lights.

Anything I'm missing? I've been commuting on my new Big Dummy (18") and enjoying it, but if I don't need lots of cargo, would like something lighter and more nimble.
    Last edited by evandy; 03-04-2013 at 06:32 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm a lifetime bike commuter. to the point of numerous move it or lose it warnings stuck to my car over the years. . .I notice you're wise enough to simplify to 1xwhatever so you might consider this valuable. Lose the canti brakes, nothing but obsolete trouble. Short arm linear pull are much better. Otherwise you're on the right track.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Whoops. I did mean V-brakes (linear-pull). Totally typed the wrong thing. Thanks for your thoughts.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Have you considered going Single Speed? You will loose a bit of weight and simplify your rig even more. My commuter is a single speed and my route is 100% paved. I have a few hills, but it doesn't bother me any more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sounds like a great build to me! The only thing I'd consider would be going with an Alfine IGH in place of the 1x9 drivetrain. Then use the Versa 8 shifter. Velocity Dyad or A23 rims too. It'll cost a couple extra bucks, but will increase the bulletproof-edness. The cowbell bars are wonderful, you'll love them.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

A God Without A Name
    I'm considering a cross check for my next commuter as well, the only things that make me doubt it is the lack of Discs and a painfully high stand over. other than that it seems to be an incredibly versatile frame, and I hear fantastic things about the 2013 forks from Surly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    Misc: Chain Guard...
    What type of chainguard are you getting?

I like to use bashguards on all my bikes as pant/chainguards, and they work well on 1x or singlespeed setups. I recommend bbg - Home

mtbr member
    May 2006
    lose the dynamo

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Regarding the chainguard.... not sure what one at this point. I've seen some possibles from velo orange, but will be chatting with my LBS to see if they have thoughts.

Regarding the Dynamo: Definitely keeping. This is a must-have item for me. Up at 42-degrees North Latitude there is a lot of dark that I have to commute in. Not needing to worry about batteries is VERY VERY nice. I've been running the Lumotec Cyo R, and ToplitePlus on my Dummy and love them both. Plenty of light, and always there when I need them.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have some Tektro BX3v on my 'cross bike. Basic, but they have all the bits and they do the job quite well.

A friend of mine has a Cross Check. He's had it set up all different ways. I think he likes it better than he lets on. Actually, seems like a great commute platform. It's not quite a racer, but it's not all the way into Touring land either, seems like a good compromise between having a little quicker attitude and still being able to hang racks and fenders and things on it. I don't have saddle time myself, though.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

weirdo
    Up at 42-degrees North Latitude there is a lot of dark that I have to commute in.
    He`s in Calgary, so probably knows dark as well as Chicago does. Anyway, I like dynos too. And love my Cyo
    Sounds like a nice bike you`ve got on the way no matter how you work out the details.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Regarding the chainguard.... not sure what one at this point. I've seen some possibles from velo orange, but will be chatting with my LBS to see if they have thoughts.

Regarding the Dynamo: Definitely keeping. This is a must-have item for me. Up at 42-degrees North Latitude there is a lot of dark that I have to commute in. Not needing to worry about batteries is VERY VERY nice. I've been running the Lumotec Cyo R, and ToplitePlus on my Dummy and love them both. Plenty of light, and always there when I need them.
    Yup 52 degrees North ride all winter....I use maybe three sets of aaa batteries.

By the way drive through a couple of drifts or maybe a snow plow pile and anywires down at the hub are gone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well, to each their own then. I haven't had any trouble with the wires on my dummy, through snow, salt, and slush. Dynamo for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just pulled the trigger with the LBS; they are placing an order for the frame today and working up some final quotes so we can discuss options on final part selection.

I Ride for Donuts
    I vote BB7 disc brakes if the weather gets nasty... not for performance needs, but for rim life.

Also, I have issues with getting a seat that requires maintenance and might not like getting wet. No desire for a Brooks on my commuter.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I vote BB7 disc brakes if the weather gets nasty... not for performance needs, but for rim life.

Also, I have issues with getting a seat that requires maintenance and might not like getting wet. No desire for a Brooks on my commuter.
    I just got a 2nd seat-post for my commuter (if the d@mn snow ever melts) so I can quickly swap out the Brooks for my old crappy seat when it's going to rain. Not sure if thats a good idea or not.... I agre on the BB& disk brakes. Save the your rims.....

mtbr member
    I have a Brooks on my Commuter (Surly 1x1) and as long as I sit on it, it won't get wet. When it's parked I put a black plastic bag on it to protect it from sun and rain. The bag also makes the bike unattraktive to thieves somehow...

Dyno and Lumotec is the best treat I did to my commute... ever!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cross-post with the "cross Check" thread over in the surly forum, but....

My bike is finally done! Pictures below. Final highlights on components:
    Alfine dynohub
    1x10 wide-range mountain cassette and shifter; SRAM Apex shifter
    Salsa Cowbell 3s on a low rise stem
    Marathon Mondial 35mm tires
    Alfine 45T crankset (with bashguard)
    Tubus Cargo rack
    Carradice Nelson saddlebag
    B&M Lights (of course): Luxos-B and Toplight Line Plus.

Ok, finally got some pictures taken... here we go:

Full bike:

Luxos-B dynamo headlight and Alfine dyno-hub:

Tubus Rack, Carradice saddlebag, Toplight Line Plus tail light:
    Last edited by evandy; 03-31-2013 at 04:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Man that's a beauty!

I dig the blue-greyish colour. Also very nice pick on the component side of things.
    Cool!

mtbr member
    That's a durn fine ride there. Well done, Sir.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.