mtbr member
    Mar 2010

New commuter questions/advice........?

I've been thinking long and hard the last few weeks about commuting to work as much as I can given diesel prices and the obvious fitness benefit as well.

My commute would not be ling, about 7 miles one way, on flat ground through the city. The biggest obstacle is that I work a 12 hour shift and need to be at work by 5am (to get changed out and ready) and get off work at 6pm. And in my line of work i know the kind of knucleheads that can be out driving at 4:30am. I do have a stressful ob so even though im tired after work the ride home would be a great time to reduce some stress and de-compress. The City I live in is not what I would call bike friendly, compared to Orange County. They did start to put some bike lanes in but not any close to me yet.

THe decision im faced with right now is type/choice of bike. Right now I have a Diamondback Response Sport that I use for MTB but probably not the best for a commuter, even if I change the tires. I want to be able to have a reck, maybe paniers and definantly a cargo trunk to carry stuff, like an occasional 6 pack of Fat Tire or something along those lines....lol.

I tought about a cargo type bike but to me very cost prohibitive and I would never be able to use it to what its made for, although they are cool as heck.

My seconf choice is obviously a commuter type bike. I just saw a Diamondback INsight RS at performance bike. http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...8_20000_400321

Any advice on bikes etc...? If i buy a new one looking in the neighborhood of no more than 500 to 600 bucks. And any opther advice that you who have been doing it for awhile could provide would be great.

mtbr member
    If you are hesitant to commute in because of "knuckleheads" out at 4:30 am, how about carpooling in to work and just bike commuting home?

I'm thinking a folding bike would be something you could put into your carpool's trunk...

Even if you biked for a short distance to your carpool friend's house in the morning, folded up the bike, tossed it in the trunk for the ride to work... worked your day... rode bike home. Something along those lines.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Kona Smoke - steel frame, comes with fenders mounted, if you can still find one:
    http://www.konaworld.co/bike.cfm?content=smoke
    Kona Dew - nicer components, aluminum frame, Dew+ comes with disc brakes:
    http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=dew_plus

mtbr member
    Just ride the mountian bike you have. I do 13 miles both ways on my 29er mountain bike with just a back pack. When you drive, bring the clothes you are going to wear for the week so you don't have to carry it on the ride. Definatley get a tail light and headlight. I use two tail lights on the back and two on the front. One on my handel bars and one on my helment. You can't have too many lights. I recommend the brightest lights you can afford. It makes you alot more visable and cars give way. Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well, you gotta figure out the best/safest route.....so do some weekend rides, scope out all the bypasses, paths, and safecuts...that a bike can do.

The best bike route is almost never the same as a car route...

Then you will know what type of bike you want.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I commute 12.5 miles on my dirt jumping frame with a 400 mm seatpost
    slam it all the way down for dj raise it all the way for commuting
    25miles a day

my point is save your money and adapt what you have

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Can't really bike to someones house and commute the rest of the way, no one lives on the way. Just need to map out a good route and like Nike says..."Just do it"

I'll probably use the mountain bike until I get another one. I just know I'll need to get some different tires. Any suggestions...?

Don't have to worry about clothing too much except for what I ride in, my "work" clothes are in a locker and the office is secrue and surrounded by fence so no security issues. I'll just deal with the drivers and like always keep my head on a swivel.

My wife watched Good Morning America this morning and they said that gas is likely to hit 6 bucks a gallon theis summer. NOt sure how true it is but if it does that a huge impact on people's budget. I got rid of the wifes BMW becasue it, being a V-8, was not so good on gas and had to run premium. She has a long commute 4 days a week so got something much better on gas.

Im hoping to do the commute thing and save the $$ spent on diesel. I appreciate the adive and suggestions and trust me it has not fallen on deaf ears. Hope to start in the near future and will let you know how it goes.

Again thanks...................

mtbr member
    I know what you mean. I've got a V8 Lexus and it takes priemum gas. Not fun. I highly suggest this light for the rear of the bike: Portland Design Works Radbot 1000 1W LED Tail Light. Super bright and rapid flash mode really gets attention of drivers (even in daylight). I've found with this light, drivers notice you from alot further and give you a half or full lane clearance. It also seems like they are much more apprecative that you are well light and don't go driving by at 90 mph all pissed off. I also can't stress enough using a front light two (if in the budget one on the handle bars and one on helmet). This is my light set up:

Helment light:
    Princeton Tec Eos-R Bike Light
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001K36ZC8

Handle bar light:
    Portland Design Works Spaceship Headlight
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038ZUAOA

Rear light: (if you can only have one, this it it)
    Portland Design Works Radbot 1000 1W LED Tail Light
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030BS30K

Rear light on saddle bag:
    Blackburn Mars 3.0 Flasher Rear Bicycle Light
    http://www.amazon.com/Blackburn-Mars...3513729&sr=1-6

Good luck.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    The best commuter tires for you depend upon the amount of flat hazards in your city, and your tolerance for a little extra weight vs. flats. Some are quite effective but they may weigh a bit more for the flat protection.